Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Renovation thread

The Renovation thread

Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Renovation thread

Originally Posted by yonk
Ah, but you can see the possibilities...
I dunno about possibilities anymore, I'm losing the will to live - this place is turning into a financial nightmare It needs so much doing to it.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Calgal
I dunno about possibilities anymore, I'm losing the will to live - this place is turning into a financial nightmare It needs so much doing to it.

I know the feeling hon. When we first bought our house, we gutted the inside and renovated it....two years later and a small baby we were still living in hell. It seemed to take forever to get done, but it finally did and the worth was really worth it.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:38 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, but you can see the possibilities...
Hell, yeah! You have a spreader!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Hell, yeah! You have a spreader!
? Lost, Ro.

It will be ok - our last house was a money pit and we spent 4 years living in it as a building site. Finally did it up good enough to sell and the new people have spent even more on it and now it looks fab and they will get all the benefit...it is worth it to finish and then live in it.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:44 pm

? Lost, Ro.
Sorry, poor quoting on my part.

Calgal's pic - top of shelf! That room could be a lot of fun!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
I know the feeling hon. When we first bought our house, we gutted the inside and renovated it....two years later and a small baby we were still living in hell. It seemed to take forever to get done, but it finally did and the worth was really worth it.
Yeah - we did the same when the twins were babies (stoooopid...lol)

With this place I wouldn't have minded so much if we planned it. It's only ten years old, and we got a reasonable deal on it, as it had been on the market a while and we jumped on it when the price dropped (all thankfully just before the economic boom hit town), and thought we only had to 'facelift' and update it. Then when the heavy rain hit last June, we had major leaks (up to eight feet into the master bedroom). Roof has to be replaced - as well as all 56 windows; the leaks from which have caused other problems in the walls - the deck is rotting and letting water into the walls, also (big deck, which part supports roof of the house, too! )

But hey - it 'looks' great from the outside, and will be stunning when it's finished!! LOL (operative word, 'when')

Edit: Just read the above and thought I should point out: NOT eight feet deep - eight feet into the room from the exterior wall...lol

Last edited by Calgal; Jul 11th 2006 at 4:47 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

Yeah - we did the same when the twins were babies (stoooopid...lol)

With this place I wouldn't have minded so much if we planned it. It's only ten years old, and we got a reasonable deal on it, as it had been on the market a while and we jumped on it when the price dropped (all thankfully just before the economic boom hit town), and thought we only had to 'facelift' and update it. Then when the heavy rain hit last June, we had major leaks (up to eight feet into the master bedroom). Roof has to be replaced - as well as all 56 windows; the leaks from which have caused other problems in the walls - the deck is rotting and letting water into the walls, also (big deck, which part supports roof of the house, too! )

But hey - it 'looks' great from the outside, and will be stunning when it's finished!! LOL (operative word, 'when')
I've just done the same thing with this place - thought it would just be a case of changing the denture-pink bathroom suite but it needs all rewiring and well, you've seen the kitchen.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

At the moment, I don't have access to a lot of pics of the interior of my place but I do have pics of my back garden reno!

Before - grass-lined shoebox

After - what it looked like the day I left for Canada. I'm hoping my nice neighbour has kept her promise to water it!
Looks like you had the "Ground Force" team in, Ro!! Lovely!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here's our most recent achievement - the Laundry room: before, and not quite finished (wall tile/paint, plumbing in the sink/taps, and finishing touches to go). I'm really chuffed with the floor - first and only tile job I've ever done. Not bad for a girl, eh?
Attached Thumbnails The Renovation thread-laundry-room-before2.jpg   The Renovation thread-copy-p1040641.jpg   The Renovation thread-p1040643.jpg  
Old Jul 12th 2006, 6:13 am
Having a blonde moment

Britjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of light

Here's our most recent achievement - the Laundry room: before, and not quite finished (wall tile/paint, plumbing in the sink/taps, and finishing touches to go). I'm really chuffed with the floor - first and only tile job I've ever done. Not bad for a girl, eh?
I love the look of it. Very nice. You did the tiling yourself? Well done you!
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:30 am

Looks like you had the "Ground Force" team in, Ro!! Lovely!
Just a landscaper dude and moi. Most of the plants are still so young and it wont be as I imagine it until next year at least and I probably won't see it... kind of regret doing it now! But it was fun, so hey.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

Today's progess report....
Attached Thumbnails The Renovation thread-dscf0001.jpg   The Renovation thread-dscf0003.jpg  
Old Jul 12th 2006, 12:33 pm

Today's progess report....
Shure is purdy.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just a landscaper dude and moi. Most of the plants are still so young and it wont be as I imagine it until next year at least and I probably won't see it... kind of regret doing it now! But it was fun, so hey.
Still, will add value to your property, though. So not a loss at all Nice job!
Old Jul 12th 2006, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Britjo67
I love the look of it. Very nice. You did the tiling yourself? Well done you!
Thanks - though it was a joint effort, really - hubs laid the Cement board, and 'nibbled' the tiles where necessary, but I did all the tiling and grouting. Bloody hard physical work though, and it was only a small area. I have a whole new respect for tilers.

(just noticed my pics have been switched around - they're back to front from when I posted them! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.