Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Oct 5th 2016, 12:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The international departures area at Perth airport smells like raw sewage.
Is that better or worse than the cooked variety?
Old Oct 5th 2016, 3:15 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I rest my case

Yes, I would absolutely agree about "bird"- the context used here is describing a very specific group of people who live in Brighton. It is the kind of language that would be used by my dad having watched "Are you being served?". But there again, similar generation..
Derogatory in this context?- Yes of course it was.
I think you are perhaps being a tad over-PC. It`s only offensive if the person at the receiving end finds it offensive.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I think you are perhaps being a tad over-PC. It`s only offensive if the person at the receiving end finds it offensive.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Is that better or worse than the cooked variety?
I am finding you funny too often for you to get more karma so

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Ok I'll bite. That's rubbish. I admit I was surprised by the use of this term. I thought only my Dad still said stuff like that. I hadn't read far enough back in the thread to catch the wings theme, and the sexism of 'bird' but still... Also on a public forum you have no idea who is on the 'receiving end'. Are you seriously saying no words are offensive unless used directly in a name-calling situation?
Old Oct 5th 2016, 3:43 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

"The rule of Souvy" might be acceptable in your little world but I don't think that would be wise to apply on a public forum. Using this rule one could for example be racist but that is ok because it was a general comment and not pointed at anyone specifically who could find your comment offensive.

At the receiving end? I'm not sure what you mean. You are addressing a public forum... You have made your opinion clear but do you not think other people on the forum might be slightly more enlightened than the pair of you and might actually be offended by the comment? I chose to say no more once Novacastrian had replied with yet another inappropriate comment in a thread which had clearly for the time being drifted in a more serious direction but then you chose to continue it. Perhaps not surprising given that you have trivialised the comments.
Feel free to keep digging though, that hole is getting deeper.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Oct 5th 2016 at 4:07 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 3:44 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I am finding you funny too often for you to get more karma so

Ok I'll bite. That's rubbish. I admit I was surprised by the use of this term. I thought only my Dad still said stuff like that. I hadn't read far enough back in the thread to catch the wings theme, and the sexism of 'bird' but still... Also on a public forum you have no idea who is on the 'receiving end'. Are you seriously saying no words are offensive unless used directly in a name-calling situation?
As I say, offense is taken, not delivered. You cannot offend someone if you use a term that you consider or intend to be offensive and the other party doesn`t. Black people took back the N-word and gay men took back the word queer. Neutralisation.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 4:01 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

As I say, offense is taken, not delivered. You cannot offend someone if you use a term that you consider or intend to be offensive and the other party doesn`t. Black people took back the N-word and gay men took back the word queer. Neutralisation.
Yet you didn't say the N word.

I think Stinky is right and wasn't being over sensitive. Using terms like fairy in a public conversation is wrong, you have to know your audience and that's impossible on a public forum.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 4:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Yet you didn't say the N word...
I was in the middle of trying to post just that when BE had a funny 5 minutes.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 4:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

"At the receiving end? I'm not sure what you mean. You are addressing a public forum... You have made your opinion clear but do you not think other people on the forum might be slightly more enlightened than the pair of you and might actually be offended by the comment?
"receiving end" is a phrase that might bear rethinking in this context.

I think suggesting posters are unenlightened is going too far, people banter using terms that fit the flow of the theme, not necessarily the terms they would use on a job posting. As well, this is a forum which might reasonably be thought to be read primarily by Brits and so one would expect more freedom of expression here than one would in a public place in Canada. "Fairy" is not the worst description of a person I expect to see today.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 4:14 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

"The rule of Souvy" might be acceptable in your little world but I don't think that would be wise to apply on a public forum. Using this rule one could for example be racist but that is ok because it was a general comment and not pointed at anyone specifically who could find your comment offensive.

At the receiving end? I'm not sure what you mean. You are addressing a public forum... You have made your opinion clear but do you not think other people on the forum might be slightly more enlightened than the pair of you and might actually be offended by the comment? I chose to say no more once Novacastrian had replied with yet another inappropriate comment in a thread which had clearly for the time being drifted in a more serious direction but then you chose to continue it. Perhaps not surprising given that you have trivialised the comments.
Feel free to keep digging though, that hole is getting deeper.
Originally Posted by dbd33

I think suggesting posters are unenlightened is going too far, people banter using terms that fit the flow of the theme, not necessarily the terms they would use on a job posting. As well, this is a forum which might reasonably be thought to be read primarily by Brits and so one would expect more freedom of expression here than one would in a public place in Canada. "Fairy" is not the worst description of a person I expect to see today.
Strike out my highlighted comment- make it " than the three of you"
Old Oct 5th 2016, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming (dangerous as I don't know you) that you don't belong to either of those groups, are you seriously suggesting that attempts to reclaim those words make it acceptable for you to use them? As bats has pointed out, clearly you don't. You surely cannot justify the use of derogatory terms by suggesting others might not find them offensive?
Old Oct 5th 2016, 5:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming (dangerous as I don't know you) that you don't belong to either of those groups
Souvy is neither Black nor (primarily, overtly) homosexual.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

The 'banter' justification has become a bit of a laughable cliche.
Should banter be banned? - BBC News
Old Oct 5th 2016, 6:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The 'banter' justification has become a bit of a laughable cliche.
Should banter be banned? - BBC News
The banter itself aimed at being laughable cliché. No one uses "fairy" to describe a gay man in earnest; the archaic nature of the expression serves to make the usage camp rather than prejudiced. "Bird" is less defensible but I think the objection to this instance of "fairy" is po-faced and an instance of taking offense on behalf of others who may, or may not, be bothered. We should fetch a gaymo for comment.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

The banter itself aimed at being laughable cliché. No one uses "fairy" to describe a gay man in earnest; the archaic nature of the expression serves to make the usage camp rather than prejudiced. "Bird" is less defensible but I think the objection to this instance of "fairy" is po-faced and an instance of taking offense on behalf of others who may, or may not, be bothered. We should fetch a gaymo for comment.
The assertion that no-one would use such an expression in earnest I suspect belies the experience of many. It does however confirm my suspicion (not the first time I've thought this) that you are arguing for the sake of it, rather than from any real belief in the points you are making.

It would be great if these things could truly be described as archaic. When my oldest was in primary school I heard one of the mothers call the very suntanned son of her friend a 'darkie'. You would have thought that had died a rightful death in the seventies, but was still being used, with no shame, in this millennium. Sadly some things take longer to die than you would think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.