Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jun 11th 2020, 10:30 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by MillieF
We have to just let go of all this angst and ire...shit happened, we have to accept it and move on.
The world cannot keep apologizing for past transgressions.
Watch it or we'll pull down your statue. In Regina a lot of our streets and schools were named after racist bastards, and they changed them. I already thought it was inappropriate to use their names because a lot of them were just land swindlers who cashed in on an opportunity.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 9:19 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
One thing I often notice in Canada is they have no issue calling out other countries, but do little to fix the issues in Canada, or the popular at least we are not as bad as the US. Canada seems to strive only to be slightly better than the US. It's the same with healthcare, at least its better than the US, and it is a bit better, but we are still pretty much as the bottom when compared to peer countries with universal systems.

Weird mindset in Canada at times. I think its why I tend to not get along with most Canadian's, hard to live in a country where so many hate the country your from, probably one reason I never felt any desire to get Canadian citizenship, I don't actually feel like I am part of Canada, its not been a welcoming experience for me, I have had some Canadian's refuse to even talk to me once they found out I am was American.

So they will forgive JT and his blackface but want to send a mob out for anyone else or arrest someone for doing it. Imagine the outrage if someone found a photo of Trump in blackface.
I don't like the Canadian habit of America bashing either. Unfortunately, not entirely absent in Britain either. USA is going through a tough time right now, but it will prevail.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 9:22 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
What are we going to put up in place of all these racist statues that are getting pulled down?
Some artwork maybe ?
Old Jun 12th 2020, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
We have to just let go of all this angst and ire...shit happened, we have to accept it and move on.
The world cannot keep apologizing for past transgressions. We have to all draw an official, legislative and pragmatic line in the sand and advance.
Totally agree. You perfectly summarized my thoughts on the last couple of weeks.

In terms of apologizing for past transgressions we have a PM here in Canada who has a PhD in turning on the tears at the slightest provocation for something that he had nothing to do with, nobody his age had anything to do with, nobody alive had anything to do with and his political party had nothing to do with but it makes for great theatre on the TV news.

Banning shows like Gone with the Wind, Gavin and Stacey, Fawlty Towers serves no purpose. The attitudes and expressions in that era were representative of the time and some instances represented humour and also in some instances were providing social commentary criticizing racial views held by many.

Yes, there were many past transgressions and attitudes that align today but it is/was part of history and some groups only want a filtered view of history that lines up with current attitudes.

Old Jun 12th 2020, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe now is a good time if you own a copy of any of those banned movies or TV shows to put them up on eBay, Kijiji or other such sites and perhaps you might turn a profit.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 12:25 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I read yesterday Netflix (I’m guessing the UK one because it sure wasn’t on the Canadian version) has taken down The League of Gentlemen series because of the Papa Lazarou scenes.

Thankfully I have the DVDs.

Old Jun 12th 2020, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I read yesterday Netflix (I’m guessing the UK one because it sure wasn’t on the Canadian version) has taken down The League of Gentlemen series because of the Papa Lazarou scenes.

Thankfully I have the DVDs.
At the end of all of this we're going to end up in terms of comedy with 'gems' such as 'Full house' as cutting edge comedy/social commentary. I'm waiting for All in the Family/Till Death Do us part being removed.

League of Gentlemen is quite funny but dark..Filmed about 10 km away from where I grew up.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 12:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
At the end of all of this we're going to end up in terms of comedy with 'gems' such as 'Full house' as cutting edge comedy/social commentary. I'm waiting for All in the Family/Till Death Do us part being removed.

League of Gentlemen is quite funny but dark..Filmed about 10 km away from where I grew up.
Where are you on the Black and White Minstrel Show?
Old Jun 12th 2020, 2:26 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by dbd33
Good recent podcast of Louis Theroux interviewing Lenny Henry, if you have access (BBC Sounds etc).

Old Jun 12th 2020, 2:44 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I may have to go to this support group after your outrageous comment

Old Jun 12th 2020, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Before my time I'm afraid.

Seriously though that show could never be put on TV now. I do find the Gavin and Stacey and Fawlty Towers bans to be a real stretch. League of Gentlemen is an acquired taste for many.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I don't like the Canadian habit of America bashing either. Unfortunately, not entirely absent in Britain either. USA is going through a tough time right now, but it will prevail.
Its the attitude of we are so much better that gets me most irritated. Complain about the US on one hand, flock across the border for cheaper milk and cheese on the other...ha ha

Old Jun 12th 2020, 11:09 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged

Seriously though that show could never be put on TV now. I do find the Gavin and Stacey and Fawlty Towers bans to be a real stretch. League of Gentlemen is an acquired taste for many.
I wonder if ‘Alan Partridge’ /‘Knowing me Knowing You’ might be on the chopping board...
Old Jun 12th 2020, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I wonder if ‘Alan Partridge’ /‘Knowing me Knowing You’ might be on the chopping board...
If that happens the end is near..nobody messes with the comedic genius of North Norfolks best radio host.

Old Jun 13th 2020, 12:59 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I'm evidently not Woke.. what the hell was wrong with Gavin and Stacy? I missed something...I wasn't a disciple but I rather liked it...what did I miss?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.