Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Oct 15th 2016, 11:23 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Those are all truly hideous...
The only thing that spoils them for me is the space devoted to cars.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What infill housing in Mississauga looks like:

Worst of McMansions
If only they were restricted to urban areas, but the countryside round here is filling up with 'beauties' like these

(Am I alone in not seeing the point in mahoosive gate posts on an unfenced plot? )
Old Oct 15th 2016, 1:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very strange website. Some appear to carry complaints of symmetry while others complain of things not being lined up and another of uniformity.

Make your mind up.

This is the equivalent of a bitchy celeb gossip rag for houses.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 4:38 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Not one of those were appealing to me in any form. The longer I live here the less big monstrous houses appeal.

A big big barn for cars and a triple attached garage would suffice...yes I will end up in a house where the barn is bigger than the place we live - hey ho!
Old Oct 15th 2016, 4:54 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The only thing that spoils them for me is the space devoted to cars.
Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Not one of those were appealing to me in any form. The longer I live here the less big monstrous houses appeal.

A big big barn for cars and a triple attached garage would suffice...yes I will end up in a house where the barn is bigger than the place we live - hey ho!
Clearly it would be ill-advised to sit you two together at a dinner party
Old Oct 15th 2016, 5:26 pm
Oscar nominated

Clearly it would be ill-advised to sit you two together at a dinner party
But Piff Poff at least has Starsky's car
Old Oct 15th 2016, 5:47 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Yes -But she would probably have to park it down the road!
I know that it is very much personal taste but our next-door neighbours spent an absolute fortune on doing up the inside of the house . They stripped everything out and then rebuilt. I had a look at the website of the construction company and they actually did some very nice modern renovation projects with a very much more modern feel. I was actually shocked but perhaps not surprised when I saw the inside of the house as they subsequently put it up for sale and it was so dated. Maybe I have too much of a European eye, but the kitchen that they put in looked about 20 years out of date already!

They could have done an absolutely beautiful modern renovation but sadly missed that opportunity. I suppose it did them no harm as they subsequently managed to sell the place to someone who lives in Grand Prairie for $2.8 million. I have seen them twice since they bought it in the spring.... I hasten to add that whilst we have an amazing view, we do not have lake access hence our house is only worth a fraction of this before you say anything!
Old Oct 15th 2016, 7:19 pm
I need a walk

Another bit of randomness, I took Stinky down to the lake. Up until the Summer,a doddle for him but he has aged so much over the past few months. His arthritis - (it has always plagued him having hip dysplasia from birth) has made his rear legs very weak. Today, I braved the beach on the lake so he could go in the water and he made it although his legs crumpled as he thought he was 2 again rather than 12 and went barrelling down the hill to the water .

He recovered and went into the water which he has always loved so much throughout his life. It was a real struggle to get back up the the hill but he made it there in the end. I fear his days are numbered but I was very proud of him. Well done Stinky
Attached Thumbnails Random stuff - the anything else thread-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Stinkypup; Oct 15th 2016 at 7:28 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 7:27 pm
Oscar nominated

...the kitchen that they put in looked about 20 years out of date already!
Perhaps they were aiming for advertising 'original features' even though they were not.

I don't mind the car space when they have separate garages...it's when it dominates the single structure....

Attached Thumbnails Random stuff - the anything else thread-modern-high-end-house-deisgn-ideas-brown-color-dominated-can-decor-white-garage-doo.jpg   Random stuff - the anything else thread-minimalist-simple-houses-garages-has-white-off-grey-color-can-add-modern-touch.jpg   Random stuff - the anything else thread-attractive-cream-gray-house-exterior-paint-idea-garage-doors-white-window-frames_garage.jpg  
Old Oct 15th 2016, 7:31 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Perhaps they were aiming for advertising 'original features' even though they were not.

I don't mind the car space when they have separate garages...it's when it dominates the single structure....

http://www.maddendoor.com/_data/docs...rage-doors.jpg

http://cdn.designrulz.com/wp-content...nrulz-0055.jpg
I'm not going to show you our house then... All you can see is the garage from the road as the house is set side on to the road to get the best views of the lake from as many rooms as possible.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What infill housing in Mississauga looks like:

Worst of McMansions
This house must be on the ugliest I've seen. I took a detour while in Montreal recently to see it.

https://goo.gl/maps/Gj5VxA9ZqWC2

Nearby, this neighbourhood is quite nouveau riche

https://goo.gl/maps/i7PPyr46tqt

Closer to where I am, this one stands out:

https://goo.gl/maps/L5tC5Ytd1y12

And just to prove that Brits don't all have refined tastes, this house is owned by a multi-millionaire from the UK

https://goo.gl/maps/LHBTbzL78242
Old Oct 15th 2016, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of my wife was taken into hospital yesterday. She's a tall, slim lady of 62, a retired schoolteacher and until yesterday in good health. While entertaining at home yesterday she had what we know now was a stroke, being called a Brain Bleed by the neurosurgeons. Fortunately on a scale of 1-10 (10 being highest) the doctors say she's a 1, so prognosis is good.
My point in relating this is to remind everyone on here that you can see the pimples and bumps etc on the outside of your body but, for the most part, you have no idea what's going on inside. I'm off to check that my affairs (legal that is, not sexual) are in order.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 10:51 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
A friend of my wife was taken into hospital yesterday. She's a tall, slim lady of 62, a retired schoolteacher and until yesterday in good health. While entertaining at home yesterday she had what we know now was a stroke, being called a Brain Bleed by the neurosurgeons. Fortunately on a scale of 1-10 (10 being highest) the doctors say she's a 1, so prognosis is good.
My point in relating this is to remind everyone on here that you can see the pimples and bumps etc on the outside of your body but, for the most part, you have no idea what's going on inside. I'm off to check that my affairs (legal that is, not sexual) are in order.
Yup, been there done similar to that but not quite that, last week or so
Old Oct 15th 2016, 10:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
If only they were restricted to urban areas, but the countryside round here is filling up with 'beauties' like these

(Am I alone in not seeing the point in mahoosive gate posts on an unfenced plot? )
Today we were in Richmond Hill. There are whole subdivisions of these things lined up right next to each other. If I were living in Richmond Hill, well, I wouldn't, I'd sooner be in Newcastle.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 10:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
A friend of my wife was taken into hospital yesterday. She's a tall, slim lady of 62, a retired schoolteacher and until yesterday in good health. While entertaining at home yesterday she had what we know now was a stroke, being called a Brain Bleed by the neurosurgeons.
Laughably enough, a friend of mine (my wife) was also taken into hospital yesterday. She's a tall (fairly) slim lady of 64, a retired school teacher and until yesterday in good health. She had what we now know was a trip on a rut in the paving, resulting in an awkward fall onto concrete, now being called concussion and two fractured elbows by the brain surgeons and the fracture clinic doctors.

Marron, eh?

Last edited by Novocastrian; Oct 15th 2016 at 11:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.