Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Oct 14th 2016, 6:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Souvy
Find a fixer-upper with sound bones.
There's merit in this plan but I think some realism is needed.

We've been at Foreclosure Farm for nearly three years and have worked on the place most weekends and holidays for that period, I suppose we've spent $50,000 and need another two years and another $50,000 to finish it. I expect we'll do that, we finished the last renovation successfully, but it's a serious commitment and, to a degree, it's a deferral of cost (to the time of each renovation step) rather than a saving against buying a house that doesn't need all that work.

There's also the snag that Vancouver has some expensive fixer-uppers. Refer crackshack or mansion.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 6:59 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There's merit in this plan but I think some realism is needed.

We've been at Foreclosure Farm for nearly three years and have worked on the place most weekends and holidays for that period, I suppose we've spent $50,000 and need another two years and another $50,000 to finish it. I expect we'll do that, we finished the last renovation successfully, but it's a serious commitment and, to a degree, it's a deferral of cost (to the time of each renovation step) rather than a saving against buying a house that doesn't need all that work.

There's also the snag that Vancouver has some expensive fixer-uppers. Refer crackshack or mansion.
I cannot argue with that.

You are into this sort of thing. We also are and have the benefit of a number of people with tools and that know how to use them. It looks like a Home Depot convention when we all converge for a project. We start running out of places to plug all the battery chargers. I hate to think how many drills/impact drivers we have between us.

Slight plug here but for anyone looking to get into cordless tools, I have one word for you. Milwaukee. I own none from that brand but I've used one. A little 12V impact driver that looks like it couldn't pull the skin off a custard. It has enough torque to rip the skin off a nuclear bunker.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 7:14 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Feel good today after dropping off a huge box of candies...
I was just trying to work out why candles...then it clicked.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 7:30 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was just trying to work out why candles...then it clicked.
Try getting a larger screen
Old Oct 14th 2016, 8:13 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Not buying in Vancouver but I see your point
Old Oct 14th 2016, 9:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I would do a fixer upper, but then I would need to hire someone to do all the work since I don't have the necessary skills or knowledge to fix anything in a house, and then there is the issue of money, would need a loan to buy all the materials and pay for the labor, so in the end, I don't think a fixer upper would save money...... At least for us.

But our income means never owning have to win the lotto to own, but we don't play the lotto.

Our lease is up end of January and isn't being renewed, so we may try Vancouver Island out in our next move as there isn't much left if anything in the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley area.

Looked at Kelowna but they seem to suffer from high rents/low vacancy rates as well, Island isn't much better, but at least most of the place is near the ocean,

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 14th 2016 at 9:50 am.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 10:17 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbour just got back from a week of hunting up north, and he got a nice whitetail buck. Last year they gave me some moose steaks and 2 deer hearts, mmmmmmmm.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 11:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Former Alberta premier Jim Prentice was killed Thursday in a plane crash near Kelowna, BC

Oil community lost a friend with tragic death of Jim Prentice | Financial Post

Starting to get windy and stormy now, city's to the west have lost power over the last few hours, I anticipate we will at some point if the wind gets stronger. I can deal without power, but the reef tank can't handle a long power outage.

Fingers crossed the power stays on.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 14th 2016 at 11:47 am.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 12:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I would do a fixer upper, but then I would need to hire someone to do all the work since I don't have the necessary skills or knowledge to fix anything in a house, and then there is the issue of money, would need a loan to buy all the materials and pay for the labor, so in the end, I don't think a fixer upper would save money...... At least for us.

But our income means never owning have to win the lotto to own, but we don't play the lotto.

Our lease is up end of January and isn't being renewed, so we may try Vancouver Island out in our next move as there isn't much left if anything in the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley area.

Looked at Kelowna but they seem to suffer from high rents/low vacancy rates as well, Island isn't much better, but at least most of the place is near the ocean,
This place, perhaps? https://www.padmapper.com/apartments...mo-bc-v9r-2m2# (looking at the streetview - going along the road a bit to find it - seems like it's next to the train tracks, so may not be the quietest!)
Old Oct 14th 2016, 12:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
This place, perhaps?.
The sound of trains at night. Lovely. Seriously. As long as there's no horns.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
This place, perhaps? https://www.padmapper.com/apartments...mo-bc-v9r-2m2# (looking at the streetview - going along the road a bit to find it - seems like it's next to the train tracks, so may not be the quietest!)
That would actually be pretty perfect. I love trains and could watch them all day...lol....

I'll make note of the name of the place, and see if they have anything when it comes closer to moving.

Nicer place then we have now, looks like a nicer larger kitchen and living room, larger balcony and way nicer bathroom, and an extra bedroom and its 40 less per month compared to our current rent...

We live about a block from rail tracks, can here the trains at times, mostly when they use the horn, they are oddly quiet when there is no horn.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 14th 2016 at 1:14 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 1:13 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The sound of trains at night. Lovely. Seriously. As long as there's no horns.
Bi used to live right by the Euston the Scotland mainline tracks. It was never a problem. The main road out the front though was a pain. And mucky, very mucky. You knew the net curtains were due for a wash when the could stand up by themselves and you needed the nets to filter out the muck.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 2:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That would actually be pretty perfect. I love trains and could watch them all day...lol....

I'll make note of the name of the place, and see if they have anything when it comes closer to moving.

Nicer place then we have now, looks like a nicer larger kitchen and living room, larger balcony and way nicer bathroom, and an extra bedroom and its 40 less per month compared to our current rent...

We live about a block from rail tracks, can here the trains at times, mostly when they use the horn, they are oddly quiet when there is no horn.
Looking at it on Google Earth, it looks like there's a nice bit of woodland right next to it - not huge, but at least a bit of greenery!

Worth contacting them in advance maybe? It's not long til January! It looks like the physical address is 1150 Esplanade, by the way.

Edited to add, that might be a dodgy advert - these are luxury condo's http://robinsgrove.ca/
Attached Thumbnails Random stuff - the anything else thread-1150-esplanade.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 14th 2016 at 2:21 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 3:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What infill housing in Mississauga looks like:

Worst of McMansions
Old Oct 14th 2016, 3:31 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

What infill housing in Mississauga looks like:

Worst of McMansions
Those are all truly hideous. Thankfully we are spared such monstrosities - someone here though spent millions on building a lakeside holiday home in a very dull bastardised tasteless craftsman design and then stuck massive copper cowls over the chimneys to really top it off. It seriously lowers the tone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.