Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jul 13th 2017, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

We live in dedicated rentals in a condo building so there is a strata for the non-rentals, as renters we don't have much interaction with the strata as the dedicated rentals are exempt from the strata, but we do have access to a community online where the strata board posts things.

Today they posted about how they will be planning a training session on how to properly dispose of trash, apparently people are not disposing of trash correctly.

Suppose part of the blame is the city and province as they have passed the laws that create trash disposal into a multi-step pain in the arse process, but never thought there would be actual training session on how to dispose of garbage..lol
Old Jul 13th 2017, 10:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...apparently people are not disposing of trash correctly.
Don't get me (re)started
...a multi-step pain in the arse process, but never thought there would be actual training session on how to dispose of garbage...
I have many issues with all this (see other threads if you dare ) but even so, can the other members of the household not remember that potato chip wrappers go into clear and not blue FFS?
Almost every time I raise the lid to dispose of something in one of the three different bins we have to use I'm confronted by something that shouldn't be there.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

We live in dedicated rentals in a condo building so there is a strata for the non-rentals, as renters we don't have much interaction with the strata as the dedicated rentals are exempt from the strata, but we do have access to a community online where the strata board posts things.

Today they posted about how they will be planning a training session on how to properly dispose of trash, apparently people are not disposing of trash correctly.

Suppose part of the blame is the city and province as they have passed the laws that create trash disposal into a multi-step pain in the arse process, but never thought there would be actual training session on how to dispose of garbage..lol
Count yourself lucky . I used to have to run those kind of 'training' sessions And follow-up/monitor the effect/results.

I recall once asking my boss for help with a Politically Correct/Polite translation of "It's not effing rocket science FFS"...
Old Jul 13th 2017, 10:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I recall once asking my boss for help with a Politically Correct/Polite translation of "It's not effing rocket science FFS"...
What was it?
Old Jul 13th 2017, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What was it?
Ha!!!

I got The "Look", you know, *that* Look ! & was told to use my nous. I did.

(Wasted lots of paper handouts with pretty clip art, which didn't entirely match my spoken presentation . Which may have included the word "con")
Old Jul 14th 2017, 12:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the way they do it at my dad's area in California, all recyclables go into one bin, and one truck and then is sorted off site, residents don't need to fuss with sorting it.

Don't get me (re)started

I have many issues with all this (see other threads if you dare ) but even so, can the other members of the household not remember that potato chip wrappers go into clear and not blue FFS?
Almost every time I raise the lid to dispose of something in one of the three different bins we have to use I'm confronted by something that shouldn't be there.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 1:21 am
Oscar nominated

I like the way they do it at my dad's area in California, all recyclables go into one bin, and one truck and then is sorted off site, residents don't need to fuss with sorting it.
Yes, we used to have it simple too.

But it was changed because too much stuff that could be recycled ended up in the wrong bags.

Now we're on three different bags, two of them on a fortnightly collection alternating. The not recycling/not compost bag bizarrely includes glass bottles/jars so no recycling of glass.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:44 am
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh, back in England I lived in a place where you had to separate the recycling, which I coped with until one day I watched the recycling collection - they took the individual containers and threw everything in the same truck!!!

Luckily, where I live now all recycling goes into the same bin - but they don't recycle most plastics, so we have to take plastics to a recycling place or just throw them away....
Old Jul 14th 2017, 1:50 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

One could always just chuck everything in the bin and say naff them, it's not my environment
Old Jul 14th 2017, 2:05 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
One could always just chuck everything in the bin and say naff them, it's not my environment
That's just selfish, it's more reasonable to rationalise it and say all those chemicals and toxins came out of the environment in the first place.

Last edited by caretaker; Jul 14th 2017 at 2:59 pm. Reason: If you can't be trusted to go back and fix one typo, what can you be trusted to do?
Old Jul 14th 2017, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

A lot do that here as there are also posts and signs that say garbage bin is for garbage only, and anyone caught throwing non-garbage away (recyclables) will be fined by the strata.

Of course as long as you don't include any identifying trash in your bags (anything with a name or your address) it's pretty impossible for them to find you specifically.

Originally Posted by Oink

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 14th 2017 at 2:11 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 2:35 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by becks_r
...they took the individual containers and threw everything in the same truck!!!
I don't know how true the response is but whenever I've seen that put to those responsible, they say the truck is divided so it's still separate even though it doesn't look like it.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

A lot do that here as there are also posts and signs that say garbage bin is for garbage only, and anyone caught throwing non-garbage away (recyclables) will be fined by the strata.

Of course as long as you don't include any identifying trash in your bags (anything with a name or your address) it's pretty impossible for them to find you specifically.
The naffing twits (AKA new neighbours) who can't be arsed to put cardboard, plastic, glass in the recycling bins which are RIGHT NEXT TO the trash bins, and VERY CLEARLY LABELLED, haven't yet realised that our town is draconian about it.

The bin men do not remove the trash if recyclables are visible in the wrong bin & vice versa

I feel a "how to sort trash/recycling "session" coming on... Or I might leave it to Other Neighbour who wants to dump it all back on their doorstep...
Old Jul 14th 2017, 5:20 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how true the response is but whenever I've seen that put to those responsible, they say the truck is divided so it's still separate even though it doesn't look like it.
I actually walked up to the truck and asked after seeing it happen a few times. I was told by the guys collecting the recycling that the council had paid for separate bins but not for the correct trucks, so until the correct trucks were brought, the recycling had to be sorted by hand back at the depot. After that I just threw all the recycling together in the same bin....
Old Jul 14th 2017, 7:22 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Kick out the jams, Mothernaffers! I'm taking the rest of the day off and going, wait for it . . . . . . . . . . fishing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.