Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old May 22nd 2020, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I like french fries, well some french fries namely the kind you get at fast food places, haven't ever been able to make a french fry I like myself or the store frozen variety.

Don't care much for whole potatoes though, and also don't care for mash potatoes, but can tolerate the kind made from powder, but still not my favorite.

I can eat like 3 or 4 potato chips, but I can eat a whole bag of plain tortilla chips in one sitting.

I am kind of picky, and as my wife will attest to, will gladly not eat rather than eat something I do not like.

Helps that I never feel hungry though, I don't think my brain and stomach talk to each other.
have you heard the theories that your digestive system is kind of a second brain? The bacteria in your gut can, according to some theories, have a big effect on your health/mood? It might be worth exploring.
Old May 22nd 2020, 1:29 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

An oldie but a goodie

Old May 22nd 2020, 2:38 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
My husband doesn't like mashed potatoes. I found out yesterday. Been together 20 years. His favorite meal is shepherd's pie. I'm confused.
Your husband and I would be a match made in heaven. My death row meal would be home made Shepherd's Pie...yum...but ordinarily I don't like mash

At the same time I love any sort of cheese and most pasta, but the very thought of Macaroni Cheese of any description makes me want to heave...I would like to add that other than not liking chocolate or bananas I am the most relaxed and least picky of eaters imaginable...
Old May 22nd 2020, 2:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Your husband and I would be a match made in heaven. My death row meal would be home made Shepherd's Pie...yum...but ordinarily I don't like mash

At the same time I love any sort of cheese and most pasta, but the very thought of Macaroni Cheese of any description makes me want to heave...I would like to add that other than not liking chocolate or bananas I am the most relaxed and least picky of eaters imaginable...
I am an extremely picky eater...I am a meat and 2 veg girl. I don’t like pasta, curry, Indian/Chinese/Mexican food, fish, minced or chopped up meat. My favourite dish would be French Onion Soup, Fillet, Potatoes Au Gratin, Cauliflower Cheese and flourless chocolate cake with whipped double cream.
Old May 22nd 2020, 5:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
have you heard the theories that your digestive system is kind of a second brain? The bacteria in your gut can, according to some theories, have a big effect on your health/mood? It might be worth exploring.
I have read some on that. I have tried a variety of different brands and strains of probiotics as well.

I always had a theory about my digestive issues being caused by an infection of some sort back in 1999 when I had a wicked bad gastrointestinal illness. All my digestive issues started at that point, prior to that I had no issues at all with my GI system.

Old May 22nd 2020, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

I have read some on that. I have tried a variety of different brands and strains of probiotics as well.

I always had a theory about my digestive issues being caused by an infection of some sort back in 1999 when I had a wicked bad gastrointestinal illness. All my digestive issues started at that point, prior to that I had no issues at all with my GI system.
Lots of really good research out on this now. My mother in law is coeliac, so had been eating things with the likes of corn flour in them (the usual substitute for those who want to be gluten free). We recently learned that corn has its own gluten load and decided on an experiment. She stopped eating stuff with corn recently and has lost a lot of bloating, inflammation, and weight. She has more energy and some of her brain fog is lifting.

Thing is, your GI tract can be damaged so it needs to heal and, apparently, bone broth is great for this, along with probiotics.

Might be worth looking into.
Old May 22nd 2020, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler:

If this is what collections on the bottom shelf inside the apartment after 2 weeks, hate to see what it might do inside our bodies. This is just 2 weeks of nasty that collected, its not as bad in winter when the windows are closed most of the day, but now with windows open 24/7, this crap collects quickly.

Maybe it explains why every summer since we have lived in this apartment both of us have had unexplained coughs each spring and summer.

(the photo quality is eh, and my wife has a bw filter set that I can't figure out how to turn off, its a white paper towel after wiping the shelf that is below the open window.)
Old May 22nd 2020, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

Strata is too cheap to hire security guards and they want residents to play security instead and confront the drug addicts and criminals that break in, uh not gonna happen, I will report it to the police but I am not confronting these folks in a parking garage alone, they are unpredictable on a good day.

If you want security, hire a security company to provide it, residents should have to play security.

I hate strata living so much.
Old May 23rd 2020, 6:00 am
Account Closed

Sometimes I wonder where Amazon gets their list price to cross out and proclaim your saving X amount of money.

This particular item is 100ml bottle of iron for aquariums, I am not buying it but was window shopping, they are selling it as an add on item for $8.99 but claim the list price is $82.13 and a savings of 73.14 or 89%.

There isn't a planet in this solar system where this product would ever be $82, general price range for this size at stores is $7-$9, the 2 gallon jug doesn't even sell for $82 dollars.

Old May 23rd 2020, 10:38 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I wonder where Amazon gets their list price to cross out and proclaim your saving X amount of money.

This particular item is 100ml bottle of iron for aquariums, I am not buying it but was window shopping, they are selling it as an add on item for $8.99 but claim the list price is $82.13 and a savings of 73.14 or 89%.

There isn't a planet in this solar system where this product would ever be $82, general price range for this size at stores is $7-$9, the 2 gallon jug doesn't even sell for $82 dollars.

I wonder if the 'list' price in this case is a previously listed price on Amazon - possibly by a third party seller.

Some years ago I contacted them about what I thought was an error - someone was asking several hundred $$ for something that should have been about $15. Their response was that sellers could ask what they like.

The reviews are okay apart from the one that said "I think it turned some of my plants brown"
Old May 23rd 2020, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I wonder if the 'list' price in this case is a previously listed price on Amazon - possibly by a third party seller.

Some years ago I contacted them about what I thought was an error - someone was asking several hundred $$ for something that should have been about $15. Their response was that sellers could ask what they like.

The reviews are okay apart from the one that said "I think it turned some of my plants brown"
The was a ‘boring talks’ podcast about the amazon book pricing algorithm which may relate....(how do people do those nice tidy links?)

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...=1000400935581
Old May 23rd 2020, 1:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
The was a ‘boring talks’ podcast about the amazon book pricing algorithm which may relate....(how do people do those nice tidy links?)
So next time I see a silly price I shall look for seller a and seller b

Click on the chain link icon. Allow the defaults, copy/paste the url at the bottom field and copy/paste or make up your own words in the top part.

Alternatively, highlight the bit of text you want to appear, then click on the chain link and copy/paste the url into the bottom part.
Old May 23rd 2020, 4:22 pm
Oscar nominated

Does this help?

Click it and take a look.
Old May 23rd 2020, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does this help?

looks like I’m getting there. Forgot to say thank you

Breakfast
Old May 23rd 2020, 5:45 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Does this help?

Thank you, I think I have figured it out. Can you test for me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.