Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Dec 6th 2019, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

The mom creates the issues, her now young adult children are likely to be deported to the US, but she gets to stay in Canada for the time being. Beyond being born in the US, the kids appear to have no ties, family in the US.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...box=1575644979
Old Dec 7th 2019, 10:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Walmart pulls offensive Christmas sweaters from shelves:
https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/2b88a...2/?jwsource=cl
Old Dec 8th 2019, 4:06 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the legal bods out there can offer some enlightenment:
1. Does he stand a good chance of getting his money back?
2. Could the wrong recipient face any legal issues if he continues to keep the cash?
3. Could the bank be liable for any costs for not cross checking account name against bank account number or will bank no-fault be hidden within small print?
Not a small amount to be concerned about at his age.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...ioner-21043469
Old Dec 8th 2019, 4:52 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no legal expert, but I read the article, and he got his money back with interest.
Originally Posted by dave_j
2. Could the wrong recipient face any legal issues if he continues to keep the cash?
3. Could the bank be liable for any costs for not cross checking account name against bank account number or will bank no-fault be hidden within small print?
Old Dec 8th 2019, 5:49 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I'm no legal expert, but I read the article, and he got his money back with interest.
Ahhh....Write out 100 times.
Must not drink wine and read more carefully!!!!!
Tail between legs now.

Old Dec 8th 2019, 8:10 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh....Write out 100 times.
Tail between legs now.
Quite a surprising situation, though. I've always assumed that if I happened to mix up numbers on a transfer the bank would reconcile it. I think a lot of people will be checking sort codes and accounts much more carefully!
Old Dec 8th 2019, 10:26 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Nonsense! Never turn your back on wine. Think of all the great literature that would never have been written if not for wine. I refuse to be responsible for this.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Another medication being looked into for possible raised levels of NDMA this time Metformin.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/metfo...nada-1.5386692

I think one reason I am sleepy all the time, I have been keeping a note pad and pen next to the bed, and keeping track of when I wake up, well when I wake up enough to grab the pen and notepad, but over the last week, I wake up on average 5-7 times per night, I think while I may on paper get 8 hours sleep going to bed at midnight and waking at 8am, but I don't think I am actually getting that much sleep as I wake up so much, I have a hard time staying asleep, every little noise wakes me up it seems.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 8th 2019 at 7:53 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 8:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The mom creates the issues, her now young adult children are likely to be deported to the US, but she gets to stay in Canada for the time being. Beyond being born in the US, the kids appear to have no ties, family in the US.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...box=1575644979
Why are both children being deported to the US? Only one is a US Citizen. The oldest is not. He was born in Bangladesh, not the US, so not a US Citizen. In reality, once at the border, the oldest child will be taken aside and into custody and held by US immigration.

Where is the biological father of these two children?
Old Dec 8th 2019, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

Article says both children hold US Citizenship.

"But their application, and an appeal, were rejected, largely because the adjudicators felt the family could safely move to the United States, where Shuruvi and Redwan were citizens and Nipa had a green card."

Originally Posted by Rete
Why are both children being deported to the US? Only one is a US Citizen. The oldest is not. He was born in Bangladesh, not the US, so not a US Citizen. In reality, once at the border, the oldest child will be taken aside and into custody and held by US immigration.

Where is the biological father of these two children?
Old Dec 9th 2019, 12:39 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't read that report but I saw it in the Guardian. Cost him about £46k in legal fees to get it back and the bank agreed to refund the legal fees - after Guardian intervention.

UK banks apparently don't check the name against the number but they agreed to do so in future and that future has been delayed from this year to next year.

I always believed that receiving money that you were clearly not due - and then spending it - was theft, or some other criminal offence. ie one that wouldn't require civil action to recover it.

Naively I would have expected the bank to take it back presumably informing the other party and that in the event the other party says 'no' like this one apparently did, to then pass the details on to the police. I'd then expect a charge of theft or whatever if not refunding the money.

Paging AC...

Old Dec 9th 2019, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Kind of surprised its not considered theft or that police were not involved. Dunno what the law is in the UK.

Back in September a US bank made an error and deposited 120,000 into the wrong account, the bank eventually realized the mistake however, only problem the couple spent most of the money, so put them into a 107,000 over-draft. The couple started to ignore the bank, and bank must have contacted police who arrested them and charged with felony theft.

https://wnep.com/2019/09/06/state-po...-bank-account/

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I didn't read that report but I saw it in the Guardian. Cost him about £46k in legal fees to get it back and the bank agreed to refund the legal fees - after Guardian intervention.

UK banks apparently don't check the name against the number but they agreed to do so in future and that future has been delayed from this year to next year.

I always believed that receiving money that you were clearly not due - and then spending it - was theft, or some other criminal offence. ie one that wouldn't require civil action to recover it.

Naively I would have expected the bank to take it back presumably informing the other party and that in the event the other party says 'no' like this one apparently did, to then pass the details on to the police. I'd then expect a charge of theft or whatever if not refunding the money.

Paging AC...
Old Dec 9th 2019, 2:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Kind of surprised its not considered theft or that police were not involved. Dunno what the law is in the UK.

Back in September a US bank made an error and deposited 120,000 into the wrong account, the bank eventually realized the mistake however, only problem the couple spent most of the money, so put them into a 107,000 over-draft. The couple started to ignore the bank, and bank must have contacted police who arrested them and charged with felony theft.
Can't keep it in the UK either
https://www.money.co.uk/guides/can-y...nk-account.htm
Old Dec 9th 2019, 2:28 am
Account Closed

I had hunch you couldn't but not familiar with how things work there.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Old Dec 10th 2019, 12:31 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
This is the mystery though. According to the guardian report the bank contacted the recipient, he refused to pay it back or allow them to take it back and the bank washed its hands, used the confidentiality argument for not releasing the details of the recipient and offered a £25 compensation (for the loss of £193,000).

The customer who should have had the money had to hire legal representation to get the bank to freeze the account of the person who got the deposit and then further legal costs were needed to get the deposit back. £46k in all I think were the fees.

It sounded like the police had zero involvement. No charges at all.

Without the doggedness of the customer, he'd have lost his inheritance and the other guy would have gained it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.