Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old May 10th 2020, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by BEVS
.....and step ladders for your wife :-p
I am always doing the dishes, but maybe built in step ladder, or since I have won lotto and flush with cash, just have 2 kitchens built to your comfort needs...ha ha

Old May 11th 2020, 12:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The excuse people use as to why condos/apartments in Vancouver don't have a/c generally is because it doesn't get hot here, and yes most of the year is mild, but as soon as the sun comes out in May through September, especially when facing east, south or west, all these condos become little miserable hot boxes. Only 24 outside but people facing east and south especially reporting their units are 30C and f course they make it so few windows open and open a few inches, our unit only has 1 window that opens + patio door but no screen door, so patio door open = bugs and flies getting in.

We face north now, but when we faced south a 23C day outside our little 410sq foot space would mean 30C inside, and only 1 window opened but then it was also the only window...ha ha

I would value a/c in Vancouver over heat, its been 4 years since we had to turn on the heat, but every summer is gross.
Old May 11th 2020, 1:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The excuse people use as to why condos/apartments in Vancouver don't have a/c generally is because it doesn't get hot here, and yes most of the year is mild, but as soon as the sun comes out in May through September, especially when facing east, south or west, all these condos become little miserable hot boxes. Only 24 outside but people facing east and south especially reporting their units are 30C and f course they make it so few windows open and open a few inches, our unit only has 1 window that opens + patio door but no screen door, so patio door open = bugs and flies getting in.

We face north now, but when we faced south a 23C day outside our little 410sq foot space would mean 30C inside, and only 1 window opened but then it was also the only window...ha ha

I would value a/c in Vancouver over heat, its been 4 years since we had to turn on the heat, but every summer is gross.
It's a shame the landlord didn't install sunblock blinds or curtains, nowhere near as good as air con but they do keep a bit of the heat out. Doesn't sound like your landlord would even do something like that though, he/she sounds a right tightwad.
Old May 11th 2020, 1:32 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
This. I also couldn’t have a house with a sump pump. I find them creepy.
I have a sump pump, but it isn’t creepy, it’s lovely! My house is built on an aquifer - anyway we have underground springs coming into our basement, as do lots of houses all down our hill and they come in all the time regardless of rain, snow or lack of either. It’s fantastic clean and clear water, anywhere else in the world I would have gathered the stuff up to feed my plants or wash my toilets. One time when my husband left, a few years back, the sump pump stopped and we had to start getting it gone ourselves. We were getting over 100 big buckets night and day, it was exhausting. Now I laugh and say that when the Zombie Apocalypse comes we can just lock ourselves in the basement!

As part of my ‘living in Canada skills’ I now know how to change a sump pump...my list of accomplishments just goes on
Old May 11th 2020, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I have a sump pump, but it isn’t creepy, it’s lovely! My house is built on an aquifer - anyway we have underground springs coming into our basement, as do lots of houses all down our hill and they come in all the time regardless of rain, snow or lack of either. It’s fantastic clean and clear water, anywhere else in the world I would have gathered the stuff up to feed my plants or wash my toilets. One time when my husband left, a few years back, the sump pump stopped and we had to start getting it gone ourselves. We were getting over 100 big buckets night and day, it was exhausting. Now I laugh and say that when the Zombie Apocalypse comes we can just lock ourselves in the basement!

As part of my ‘living in Canada skills’ I now know how to change a sump pump...my list of accomplishments just goes on
i think you may be overlooking the portal to the underworld aspect. When you have a hundred buckets full of the offspring of the Canadian version of the Loch Ness monster you may moderate your enthusiasm
Old May 11th 2020, 2:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It's a shame the landlord didn't install sunblock blinds or curtains, nowhere near as good as air con but they do keep a bit of the heat out. Doesn't sound like your landlord would even do something like that though, he/she sounds a right tightwad.
Most landlords in my experience renting in Canada are cheap.....I have not had positive experiences renting in Canada, probably why I hate it so much, renting also ends up being less stable, severe supply shortage of dedicated rental buildings, where the US is opposite, dedicated rental buildings are dime a dozen in most city's with few exceptions.

Its not too bad now as our current unit gets no direct sunlight, it just has poor ventilation the inside warms, but not enough cool air at night comes in to cool the place off, but could be worse the units facing south are ovens which is why we moved to a north facing unit when one opened up.
Old May 11th 2020, 3:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Most landlords in my experience renting in Canada are cheap.....I have not had positive experiences renting in Canada, probably why I hate it so much, renting also ends up being less stable, severe supply shortage of dedicated rental buildings, where the US is opposite, dedicated rental buildings are dime a dozen in most city's with few exceptions.

Its not too bad now as our current unit gets no direct sunlight, it just has poor ventilation the inside warms, but not enough cool air at night comes in to cool the place off, but could be worse the units facing south are ovens which is why we moved to a north facing unit when one opened up.
I'm glad you were able to move to a unit with no direct summer sunlight, but the (lack of) ventilation sounds horrible. I remember you said a while back that you use a fan a lot in summer, that must jack up your electricity bill?

The rental market in the US sounds far kinder to tenants.
Old May 11th 2020, 3:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm glad you were able to move to a unit with no direct summer sunlight, but the (lack of) ventilation sounds horrible. I remember you said a while back that you use a fan a lot in summer, that must jack up your electricity bill?

The rental market in the US sounds far kinder to tenants.
Electricity here is cheap, one of the benefits to BC, last I saw we had 2nd lowest electric charges in North America, and one of the lowest in the world, I know my dad for example pays 3 times more per kWh compared to our rate, our bill averages $45 or so a month, if we actually lived somewhere cold (for Canadian standards) and had to use the heat like most in Canada do, it would be higher since the heat is electric baseboard, but in winter the place stays warm so we never have to turn it on, most of the winter the window is cracked or it gets too hot...

I run a fan nearly 24/7, I need the moving air or I get coughing fits and too stuffy, so fans last me 2 years on average, but I really run fans hard so I can't expect fans to last...lol

https://app.bchydro.com/accounts-bil...omparison.html

I do wonder at times what the actual air quality inside is, we live on a busy road, and black dust builds on everything that I haven't had anywhere else, so must be from vehicle exhaust, and there have been nights when I have woken up and a semi truck is idling outside and the fumes are strong enough to taste, I imagine living on a busy street reduces life span a bit.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 11th 2020 at 3:39 am.
Old May 11th 2020, 8:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

you have a balcony...why not leave the door open for fresh air?
Old May 11th 2020, 3:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

... I do wonder at times what the actual air quality inside is, we live on a busy road, and black dust builds on everything that I haven't had anywhere else, so must be from vehicle exhaust, and there have been nights when I have woken up and a semi truck is idling outside and the fumes are strong enough to taste, I imagine living on a busy street reduces life span a bit.
I had the same issue at my first apartment in Canada - despite being on the 6th floor everything got coated in a soot like black substance, sometimes it clogged the bug screens and made using the balcony problematic - though I was lucky to have a balcony and not just an opening window with a Juliette balcony (one that you can't actually go on, just a metal cage to stop you falling out). Being next to the traffic lights and vehicles idling waiting for the lights to change didn't exactly help I suspect!
Old May 11th 2020, 3:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
It's not as exciting and glamorous as when you were wrestling crocodiles and taming camels though.
Old May 11th 2020, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I had the same issue at my first apartment in Canada - despite being on the 6th floor everything got coated in a soot like black substance, sometimes it clogged the bug screens and made using the balcony problematic - though I was lucky to have a balcony and not just an opening window with a Juliette balcony (one that you can't actually go on, just a metal cage to stop you falling out). Being next to the traffic lights and vehicles idling waiting for the lights to change didn't exactly help I suspect!
It probably doesn't help we are 2nd floor.... We do have a patio but never use it, its noisy, dusty and anything left out there gets covered in black soot stuff, leave a piece of paper out there 24 hours and its already visible.

I imagine my annual March to August congestion and cough could be linked to air quality, less rain, more soot and dust in the warmer, drier months.

Ideally we could live in a nice tree lined street away from arterial roads, but that is a luxury really, the rents in those areas are way higher.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
you have a balcony...why not leave the door open for fresh air?
It's open, also leave the bathroom fan on hoping maybe it has a small affect on air movement.
Old May 11th 2020, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

City is trimming trees, the living ones.

Too bad they can't manage to cut down and remove the dead one, been dead over a year now.
Old May 11th 2020, 9:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's open, also leave the bathroom fan on hoping maybe it has a small affect on air movement.
Good, that should give you a reasonable amount of fresh air if the outside door is open. Do you have a window you can open too...that way it helps draw the air through?
Old May 11th 2020, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Good, that should give you a reasonable amount of fresh air if the outside door is open. Do you have a window you can open too...that way it helps draw the air through?
The living room has this big window it would have been nice if they made each section open, but only one small section does, opens about 5-6", its not the most useful. I had last summer taken off the child safety thing so it could open further, but the strata had a fit over it so had to put it back so it only opens the small amount.

It's not too bad today, a bit cooler outside, only 24.5 inside.

I think part of the issue might be the front door, air from the hallway always pouring from the bottom, if you place a hand at the bottom can feel the air coming in, they don't have a/c in the hallway so its always warm, the strata sometimes turns the fan on to blow air but its not air con.

I am just most comfortable around 68-70F and above that I just don't do well, the heat makes me feel unwell, probably why I don't like summer ha ha

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 11th 2020 at 11:46 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.