Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Old Sep 15th 2016, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

That is how I feel.

I started working in 1996 and have worked in 3 industries, airline, hotel, and retail and at no point has any company ever offered min wage. Until this one.

The fact the jobs I used to be able to get no longer even call, further tells me I am not smart enough and skilled enough to compete anymore.

I cant even get a job loading planes and I did that for 6 years and that would be the best job for me, I did have a phone screen but I never get an in person interview.

I have applied at Wal-Mart but they never call me. Pretty sure the test they give is the reason.

And the wildlife job mentioned earlier post would be interesting, I just never see those sorts of jobs advertised where a bunch of education and experience isn't needed., I did see animal control, but man do you need a lot of education and experience to work for them. I would have liked to work in an Aquarium as well caring for the fish, sadly you need a degree and I don't have the smarts for that..

Originally Posted by Shirtback

JS, I'm not quite sure how you extrapolated 'idiot unskilled moron with no future' from my (& others') previous posts. If you're applying for CS agent type jobs, in retail/hospitality, it's highly unlikely you'll be offered much over the minimum (for your neck of the woods) salary, unless you're applying for supervisory & above positions, where you might have a *little* bit of leeway to negotiate according to your experience.

It's not *you*, it's the jobs/industries.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 15th 2016 at 2:56 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 2:17 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I have applied at Wal-Mart but they never call me.
Do you have a Costco near you? They are supposed to be pretty good employers. All the staff who work there have name tags with the year they started. Lots of staff I see have been working there for 10+ years, that is always a good sign.

If ever I lost my job, I wouldn't think twice about applying there until something else came up.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

And the wildlife job mentioned earlier post would be interesting, I just never see those sorts of jobs advertised where a bunch of education and experience isn't needed.
Part of the problem is the massive expansion of higher education over the last few decades. When half the people applying for a job have a degree, it becomes a required qualification even for making coffee, in order to thin out the applicants.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Part of the problem is the massive expansion of higher education over the last few decades. When half the people applying for a job have a degree, it becomes a required qualification even for making coffee, in order to thin out the applicants.
For sure.

I would get a degree if I were smart enough, but school has never been something I did well in.

As for Costco we don't have one in this city. Closest one is 30-35 mins away. I have applied in the past, competition seems stiff though which may explain why I have never had an interview.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 15th 2016 at 4:04 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 4:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Obviously this will likely be knocked back, I realise that, however voluntary work can help with finding employment as well as helping with a feeling of worth.

Any employment is better than no employment.

Any wage is better than no wage.

Why do I write this? Because I have personally found this to be a truth.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 12:03 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
...voluntary work can help with finding employment as well as helping with a feeling of worth...
In different circumstances I would certainly not think twice about getting over to the hospital (a handy 5 minute walk away) and volunteering there.

Who knows what it might lead to...not being taken on as a brain surgeon of course but well placed for anything that may come up, even if only getting to know about a position early. Porter maybe? Security even? Or even something happening with people you get to know.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 12:09 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
In different circumstances I would certainly not think twice about getting over to the hospital (a handy 5 minute walk away) and volunteering there.

Who knows what it might lead to...not being taken on as a brain surgeon of course but well placed for anything that may come up, even if only getting to know about a position early. Porter maybe? Security even? Or even something happening with people you get to know.
A retired friend of mine is doing this, she volunteers at one of the big hospitals. She said it's often just grunt work, moving files around the hospital, delivering supplies here and there, but she meets a ton of other volunteers and enjoys the atmosphere. She's also made some good connections there.

Certainly volunteering is a great way to 'fill the time'.

JS, I asked you before but I can't remember if you answered, have you had someone have a look at your resume? It might be that something in there is putting off employers and that's why the interviews aren't coming. Just an idea.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 12:19 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The temporary Wildlife Rescue Worker job that was on indeed .com yesterday isn't there now. There are a lot of back-woodsy types out there so not too surprising.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 12:24 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
A retired friend of mine is doing this, she volunteers at one of the big hospitals. She said it's often just grunt work, moving files around the hospital, delivering supplies here and there...
Really? I suppose it may vary among different health authorities.

One can't see everything that goes on and who does what but I figure I've spent a fair amount of time over there over the years (including 12 hours a day for a month) and I see them in their green jackets acting in an usher capacity at the blood clinic and other clinics if especially busy.

Those ferrying supplies/equipment and files appear to be employees.

In some ways I'm not really in favour of volunteers doing stuff that "should" involve employees (like portering) but if it "got me out of the house" and might lead to something else as well, I'd have to put that principle aside.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 12:28 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
The temporary Wildlife Rescue Worker job that was on indeed .com yesterday isn't there now. There are a lot of back-woodsy types out there so not too surprising.
My brother volunteers at an animal sanctuary well north of Toronto when he has time. He loves it. He has a full time job anyway but he finds it really interesting.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 12:31 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Really? I suppose it may vary among different health authorities.

One can't see everything that goes on and who does what but I figure I've spent a fair amount of time over there over the years (including 12 hours a day for a month) and I see them in their green jackets acting in an usher capacity at the blood clinic and other clinics if especially busy.

Those ferrying supplies/equipment and files appear to be employees.

In some ways I'm not really in favour of volunteers doing stuff that "should" involve employees (like portering) but if it "got me out of the house" and might lead to something else as well, I'd have to put that principle aside.
She said it's a huge mix of things. Sometimes it is just ushering. Sometimes it's moving stuff. It's all over the map.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:14 am
Account Closed

Mentioned above about the resume being checked over by someone, it's been checked over by the govt sponsored work center who are also the ones who helped create it.

How much of an expert or talent these folks have for resumes, I have no idea.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Mentioned above about the resume being checked over by someone, it's been checked over by the govt sponsored work center who are also the ones who helped create it.

How much of an expert or talent these folks have for resumes, I have no idea.
I wonder if anyone here could take a look at it privately for you J.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:21 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I wonder if anyone here could take a look at it privately for you J.
Yeah I agree with this. It might be worth having someone else have a look, if anything just to get another opinion.

With the skills you have I do find it odd that you haven't even managed an interview... and the resume would be my guess.

I don't think you'd find any shortage of people here willing to help you out.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:22 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

That is how I feel.

I started working in 1996 and have worked in 3 industries, airline, hotel, and retail and at no point has any company ever offered min wage. Until this one.

The fact the jobs I used to be able to get no longer even call, further tells me I am not smart enough and skilled enough to compete anymore.

I cant even get a job loading planes and I did that for 6 years and that would be the best job for me, I did have a phone screen but I never get an in person interview.

I have applied at Wal-Mart but they never call me. Pretty sure the test they give is the reason.

And the wildlife job mentioned earlier post would be interesting, I just never see those sorts of jobs advertised where a bunch of education and experience isn't needed., I did see animal control, but man do you need a lot of education and experience to work for them. I would have liked to work in an Aquarium as well caring for the fish, sadly you need a degree and I don't have the smarts for that..
Walmart didn't call me either. Nor did Canadian Tire, Canada Post, Hudsons Bay, Sears, Home Depot, YWCA, KMPG, Humane Wildlife, McMaster, CNIB, Hamilton City, Mohawk College or any of the other 300 plus companies I applied for a job with.

I was an administrator in the UK, running a complete building of offices - including writing radio advert scripts, hiring staff, finding tenants and negotiating their contracts (my biggest one was Philips UK) - but that counted for nothing here.

I couldn't even get a job at Tim Hortons 'back of house'.

I was told by employment Canada that it would be highly unlikely that I would ever be employed.

I hear and understand your frustration but there is a job out there for you, it's finding it that's the difficulty. Concentrate on your strengths and try thinking 'outside the box' to find it.

As I've mentioned before to you, take a look at online remote working jobs - you don't have to have contact with people face to face. The pay is usually well above minimum wage and the hours are relatively flexible (I work up to 63 hours a week) and at least you can do it from the comfort of your home, so you don't have to worry about commuting and those costs. A good internet connection and a reliable pc/laptop and an eye for transgressions is all that is required. It's worth at least giving it a try - you might even like it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.