Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Old Sep 13th 2016, 3:10 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Originally Posted by TrishP
Cheaper to make your own yoghurt, very easy and much better without all the added crap put into commercially produced stuff.
No thanks, i dont have the time to be messing about with all that.

The only think I make is my own scrubs and facemasks as the 'crap' that they put in commerical products that I consume is not so much of an issue for me as the 'crap' they put in that ends up on my skin.

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I buy one from most major grocery stores for my one year old, the brand is Greek Gods. The plain yogurt is 10% MF and the ingredients are simply milk, cream, bacterial cultures, and pectin. Hain Celestial | Yogurt Plain
+1 - there is no 'crap' in the brand I buy either.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 11:39 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
How could I forget about the cheese prices! Hah! And I agree on everything else, a 6-pack of lettuce as well is also way cheaper. And the berries are SO much cheaper than the grocery store it's obscene. (That said, I did buy a large thing of strawberries on Friday, and this morning I Had to throw out the remaining half as they'd all gone off. But I think that's a one-off more than anything, usually strawberries are good for longer than that.)

I love that the membership works in the UK as well. We have shopped in the UK one a few times. It's not quite as good a deal as here on some things, but some things even there are still cheaper. Alcohol is a fantastic price in the UK. And in the US. And in other provinces that don't live in the stone ages because ZOMG THINK OF THE CHILDREN.
How much lettuce do you eats FFS?
Old Sep 13th 2016, 11:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I love Costco...I love their returns policy. Unless I need something urgently...it is my go to store. I have bought a variety of things from food to leather sofas. I have Exec Membership...which means every year I get a nice cheque from them which more than covers the membership fee.

I also like the fact that they have a low turnover of staff...this because they treat them well.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 12:17 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Costco is too big for me, but I've been with friends. I liked the grazing on Saturdays, went past the baklava 3 times! Thumbs up the Shopsy's hotdog cart at the entrance, thumbs down the corned beef sandwich thing inside (I don't like it with all those peppercorns and the pickle was awful). I could get member friends to buy for me but don't need it.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 5:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I had an interview recently for a job that was unionized.

Pay 10.45/hr which is current min wage in BC.

And they take union's dues out of each check so you actually make less in this union job.

Wal Mart doesn't even pay min wage unless you have 0 work experience but one would be better off there on min wage since there is no union dues.

Kind of sad when union jobs are paying min. wage.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 14th 2016 at 6:42 am.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 1:32 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I had an interview recently for a job that was unionized.

Pay 10.45/hr which is current min wage in BC.

And they take union's dues out of each check so you actually make less in this union job.

Wal Mart doesn't even pay min wage unless you have 0 work experience but one would be better off there on min wage since there is no union dues.

Kind of sad when union jobs are paying min. wage.
Safeway?

I had a job there once, exact same thing.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Super Store.

I do think the union's just to keep membership and dues have basically caved in to the companies.

Just kind of amazing how these union retailers actually pay less than say Wal Mart.

Originally Posted by jennellapea
Safeway?

I had a job there once, exact same thing.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

As a BC senior, getting bored, I worked a 2 months summer job a few years ago for C$10/hr, delivering rental cars back to the depot.
I was forced to join the Union and pay fees even tho' Union representation didn't kick in 'till three months after joining.
I then had to declare my earnings to Revenue Canada....and no longer became eligible for supplementary benefits.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 2:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the union dues go into a pension fund. One person I know who worked at a supermarket chain all his life has quite a decent pension from the union - about $3k a month.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

But would someone starting today get the same sort of pension?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Part of the union dues go into a pension fund. One person I know who worked at a supermarket chain all his life has quite a decent pension from the union - about $3k a month.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 14th 2016 at 2:28 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 3:23 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Super Store.

I do think the union's just to keep membership and dues have basically caved in to the companies.

Just kind of amazing how these union retailers actually pay less than say Wal Mart.
I think they have the same union.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've flown various US airlines for the last 20+ years. They are OK at best. One flight we had a 70 yr old flight attendant. For most flights...I got the impression that it was just a job to put food on the table...but they wished they were somewhere else. They more or less threw the food and beverages at you...unless you were flying first class. Then it was...would you like the Grand Marnier warming JG? 'Yes please...as long as you fill the glass.'

So far I have had no complaints with AC...but that could be because they have 'serve yourself' Grand Marnier in the airport lounge.

In my experience, my issue with the US airlines is the casual way they treat their schedules. I have had ~10 internal US flights in the past few years and I think every single one of them has had a reschedule... sometimes just 15 minutes, other times half a day. The most notable was Delta cancelling an early morning flight from JFK to Buffalo at about 9pm the night before. Then, the automatic re-routing came through. Instead of a < 1 hour flight , I was rerouted to three different flights [Pittsburgh and Boston, I think] that would have got me to Buffalo about 12 hours after I left JFK. I could have almost cycled it in that time! I wasn't sure what was worse: that Delta thought that was an acceptable re-routing, or that someone was paid to come up with it.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 11:53 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennellapea
I think they have the same union.
Wal Mart staff are unionised?

Take a trip to Jonquiere in Quebec and you'll see what happens when Wal Mart staff try to unionise.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 12:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I am I said
In my experience, my issue with the US airlines is the casual way they treat their schedules. I have had ~10 internal US flights in the past few years and I think every single one of them has had a reschedule... sometimes just 15 minutes, other times half a day. The most notable was Delta cancelling an early morning flight from JFK to Buffalo at about 9pm the night before. Then, the automatic re-routing came through. Instead of a < 1 hour flight , I was rerouted to three different flights [Pittsburgh and Boston, I think] that would have got me to Buffalo about 12 hours after I left JFK. I could have almost cycled it in that time! I wasn't sure what was worse: that Delta thought that was an acceptable re-routing, or that someone was paid to come up with it.
Rearrangement of the flights is a big problem when flying to small airports at the end of the line. Buffalo's not too bad because it's near to Toronto which has a large population and so lots of people use the Buffalo airport. I found Grand Junction CO and Laramie WY were terrible in that the number of passengers was always just at the threshold of the plane flying so if even one person cancelled or was late the flight would be cancelled. This is less of an issue in Canada, presumably because, at their fares, one man and a dog is enough to make it profitable for AC to go to Deer Lake.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 12:52 am
Slob

Originally Posted by dbd33
Rearrangement of the flights is a big problem when flying to small airports at the end of the line. Buffalo's not too bad because it's near to Toronto which has a large population and so lots of people use the Buffalo airport. I found Grand Junction CO and Laramie WY were terrible in that the number of passengers was always just at the threshold of the plane flying so if even one person cancelled or was late the flight would be cancelled. This is less of an issue in Canada, presumably because, at their fares, one man and a dog is enough to make it profitable for AC to go to Deer Lake.
Try going to Rock Springs, WY. Two flights in each day, from Denver, and two out. The planes are little puddle-jumpers. Why the airport needs two X-ray machines to handle about 35 people a time is beyond me.

It took me 14 bloody hours to get there for 2 meetings, one of which was cancelled while I was in the air. Talk about a waste of time!

I set myself a task on the scenic route home. A beer in or above every state/province involved. I managed it but was seriously relaxed by the time I got home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.