Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Offering your seat to a lady?

Offering your seat to a lady?

Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:36 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Offering your seat to a lady?

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I'm surprised that you just wouldn't bother with the stress and just offer your lap!

What and be accused of being a dirty old man...oh wait that was your point wasn't it.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:37 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the context, 'lady' in Canada can mean, like dingbat says 'ladies who lunch' - ie it can carry the perceived negative qualities of being 'ladylike' : deferring, decorative, mindless, feeble, bobble-headed doormats.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily bad manners but it is along the continuum of "don't you worry yer purdy little head, darlin'" type speak.

I was also wondering why there were so many ladies on the bus heading for downtown at that time in the morning... surely they can't all be secretaries?
Old Jun 12th 2008, 4:32 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I was also wondering why there were so many ladies on the bus heading for downtown at that time in the morning... surely they can't all be secretaries?

you're a well brought up gentleman
Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:00 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I always offer up my seat to the elderly, disabled, or injured, but not the pregnant. That's self-inflicted (well, kind of) and just selfish.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

i have no problem wihtthe terms ladies, lady, ladylike or gentleman. Lady to me has connetations of gentle nobility - not incapable of defending themselves, mind you, but someone with a sense of how things 'should' be. One of the best 'ladies' in that sense was a secretary i knew. Always a kind word, always well polite, but if you crossed her, woe betide you. You'd never even notice until after hte fact but you'd be in deep troulble.

it speaks of old world gentility.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:20 pm
Snickle Hubble-Sprinkles

The_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bazzz
I always offer up my seat to the elderly, disabled, or injured, but not the pregnant. That's self-inflicted (well, kind of) and just selfish.
SELF inflicted? maybe that's the only kind of relationship you know Bazzzz, but I would suggest a quick visit to Biology 101!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:33 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bazzz
Oh you're not talking about those prairie oysters again are you....no sorry must be mistaken thats SHELLFISH....
Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

I had to stand up on the tram for around 30 minutes when I was 4 days overdue, everyone looked away pretending I didn't exist and yes I was in some pain, as I couldn't walk for long periods without my back hurting. I am not complaining but a little consideration sometimes I can go a long way. I have given up my seat in the past for various reasons.

What gets me is the shopping trolleys on buses, so big square things, that people insist on going bringing on even if it is busy.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

'ladies who lunch' - ie it can carry the perceived negative qualities of being 'ladylike' : deferring, decorative, mindless, feeble, bobble-headed doormats.
Not sure that anyone would call me feeble or bobble-headed - but I sure would love to be a "lady wot lunches". Negative or not, sounds like the life to which I would like to become accustomed - occasionally, anyway
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

why there were so many ladies on the bus heading for downtown at that time in the morning... surely they can't all be secretaries?
No dear - they're orf to the spa, for a quick treatment and manicure before meeting their friends for lunch, of course .....
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=hot wasabi peas;6460436]Depending on the context, 'lady' in Canada can mean, like dingbat says 'ladies who lunch' - ie it can carry the perceived negative qualities of being 'ladylike' : deferring, decorative, mindless, feeble, bobble-headed doormats.

Thats my occupation sorted but as i never travel on public transport i don't expect anyone to give up there seat for me,

which is the send button, damm chipped a nail now
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:23 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
lol if a woman were to look at you strangely due to you offering her a seat just say this

"I'm not offering it to you because you are a lady, I'm offering it because i'm a gentleman"!
That's excellent! I'll have to try that one sometime.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:42 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Query on bus manners here...

I have been taking the bus to work, and by the time it gets downtown it's pretty full.

In general, I'd say that Canadians (well, certainly Calgarians) are kind and generous people, but I have never seen anyone offer their seat on the bus to a lady, whether old, fat, pregnant, whatever.

So I've been sitting in my seat on the bus, feeling very uncomfortable that nearby a woman may be standing, and unsure of whether I ought to behave the way I was brought up to, or if the woman would (a) be shocked that I even offered, and (b) take offence that apparently I thought she was old or fat or otherwise in greater need of a seat than me.

So, can I continue to enjoy my seat without feeling guilty?? (It's only a 20 minute journey)
I think it is very nice that there are still some gentlemen about. If you feel it would make your day better by doing something that is good then do it.

I always give up my seat if I see an old person or pregnant lady standing and I am a 27 year old female.

Its about doing some to help someone. Nothing wrong with that.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that one rarely sees a kid, or even an adult, giving up their seat for an obviously very pregnant person, or for an older type, or someone cursed with a walking stick, simply illustrates the lack of civility in a very selfish, I-don't-give-a-sh*t society.

Parents are excellent at procreating (very little brain power or effort involved) but not at educating their young in good manners.

In Montreal there are signs on buses and the metro requesting that seats be vacated for the pregnant or infirm. What is puzzling is that a polite request and not a firm demand is made.

Some Moms are also selfish. A two year old can easily be placed on ones lap and doesn't need a seat. Plus, the infant doesn't even pay a fare.

Last edited by montreal mike; Jun 13th 2008 at 5:16 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:29 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by montreal mike
The fact that one rarely sees a kid, or even an adult, giving up their seat for an obviously very pregnant person, or for an older type, or someone cursed with a walking stick, simply illustrates the lack of civility in a very selfish, I-don't-give-a-sh*t society.

Parents are excellent at procreating (very little brain power or effort involved) but not at educating their young in good manners.

In Montreal there are signs on buses and the metro requesting that seats be vacated for the pregnant or infirm. What is puzzling is that a polite request and not a firm demand is made.

Some Moms are also selfish. A two year old can easily be placed on ones lap and doesn't need a seat. Plus, the infant doesn't even pay a fare.
Er - don't shout at me...but slightly off topic about seats...but still about manners.

Whilst on our recent holiday in Scotland, my 2 and 4 year olds held open the outer door to the corridor for the washrooms for a man who looked 70+ who followed us out. This was clearly a deliberate effort by my children, and this man was in excess of 5' 10" tall and not once did he look at them, acknowledge them or even say Thank you .... can I point out bad manners isn't reserved purely for the young (however young). I was thoroughly disgusted with this mans practice and explained to my children in a very loud voice so he could hear....that he was a very rude man not to have said thank you and what they did was very kind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.