No tip with a tip

Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:05 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No tip with a tip

Originally Posted by el_richo
Is not tipping in the same league as choosing to fly Air Transhat or Thomas C*%t Airways?
Possibly, though not tipping is likely to lead to more jizz in your food if you eat out a lot.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:10 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Or anywhere that service is not included. I always tipped in the UK the same as I do here, though I note that many places tend to add 12.5%, presumably to deal with the cheapskates who would otherwise leave a pound coin.
I seem to remember a previous debate on this some weeks ago.

I did find it mildly cheeky when you and I were at St.Louis that evening and their machine had the option of 25% or other amount.

As a rule of thumb I work to the 10% average service and 15% good service. Depending on the rounding they might get slighly more or less.

Most of the bars I attend they look after me well with extra drinks etc..........
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

jg2802 is on a distinguished road

This is probably going to offend some...and its a bit risky posting it. but i find it hillarious.

i work in a restaurant...in london. obviously tipping isnt a major culture here but people still know they should and english people pretty much always do. but being also in central london i too, also get some scummy ghetto horrific to deal with people as well as certain europeans that never tip.

http://www.igotstiffed.com/117/big-fat-ghetto-bitches/
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:20 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Here we are:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=tip+servers

Quite a good read. Poor Gremmie get's a hard time!

Last edited by JamesM; Oct 14th 2011 at 2:25 am.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jg2802
This is probably going to offend some...and its a bit risky posting it. but i find it hillarious.

i work in a restaurant...in london. obviously tipping isnt a major culture here but people still know they should and english people pretty much always do. but being also in central london i too, also get some scummy ghetto horrific to deal with people as well as certain europeans that never tip.

http://www.igotstiffed.com/117/big-fat-ghetto-bitches/
God, that was much more than a sane person would bother reading.

But back on track: it is the case that tipping for table service is usually 15% (or 10% if you're pissed off) in Canada,

I much prefer the system in (e.g.) France, where service compris is the norm (these days),
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:32 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I much prefer the system in (e.g.) France, where service compris is the norm (these days),
I just much prefer France.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:34 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by AishaA
Maybe you all just tip because you're scared - From what you've told me, it sounds like bribery/blackmail.
Or maybe we tip because we are nice people and we want that person to be able to afford school, rent, groceries etc......

From what you've told me calling yourself a tight arsed Brit is flattering.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

jg2802 is on a distinguished road

it does make it easier. but its crap for the server because the restaurant usually takes most of it.

but its good in cases like london where you get your french, spanish, and italians who notoriously do not tip so at least youre getting something.

a certain big restaurant chain that has a restaurant in central london that a friend works at said they charge 12.5% on every bill and the server keeps 50% of that service charge on what their sales were. so tbh, £1500-2000 sales on a busy saturday night....id be happy with only half of that service charge compared to the amount of said french, spanish, italian...and of course not forgetting the 'big fat ghetto bitches' that i have to serve that dont tip.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

God, that was much more than a sane person would bother reading.

But back on track: it is the case that tipping for table service is usually 15% (or 10% if you're pissed off) in Canada,

Agreed . Much simpler.

Last edited by Largo; Oct 14th 2011 at 6:19 am.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 7:00 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I ordered a couple pizzas last night and had them delivered to a boat. The delivery lad negotiated a rather strange dock in the dark and actually found the boat and it only took 30 mins from the time of ordering. So did I give him a large tip, plus I was a bit pissed.
Good job he didn't work for the company that said they'd marry you f you give a big tip!
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:11 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Because it is. And if you worry about it then you are a cheap bastard.
That's the best you can come up with....because it is?

Name calling is so low, and I won't bother waiting for your reply why restaurant is any different from a grocery store
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:13 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It doesn't matter why it's different. A potential customer knows that it's different, knows that the staff depend on the tip, knows that tipping is an obligation and would be a shit to eat and not tip.

It's a myth that they all depend on tips......so we are saying all restaurants don't pay their staff, and expect the public to pay the staff for them?
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I see that, once again, rather than accept that someone may have a different opinion to you, you resort to name calling.

He seems to do that a lot

Just saying "because it is" doesn't justify tipping. Grocery stores have packers that pack your back for you, isn't that "waiting on you"?
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:19 pm
Banned

I just much prefer France.
I'll be more than happy to buy you the 1-way air canada ticket
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
It's a myth that they all depend on tips......so we are saying all restaurants don't pay their staff, and expect the public to pay the staff for them?
Yes, that's the nature of the business.

I'm somewhat baffled by this complaint about bodily fluids in the food. That suggests that someone didn't like a place sufficiently to defy convention and be deliberately offensive to the staff. They then went back often enough to be known as someone who cheats. Why do that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.