No tip with a tip

Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:03 pm
Marmite Lover

AishaA will become famous soon enoughAishaA will become famous soon enough
Default Re: No tip with a tip

Originally Posted by JonboyE
By not tipping you are expecting the workers in the restaurant to provide you with good food and and enjoyable experience on minimum wage.
So do we tip to supplement poor wages? It seems unfair that factory workers and refuse collectors don't get this perk. Aren't fair wages a human right we try to protect (hence the legislated minimum wage)? How does tipping help? Or do we tip to reward good service? I'm confused
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:28 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
So did I give him a large tip, plus I was a bit pissed.
So did you ?
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AishaA
So do we tip to supplement poor wages? It seems unfair that factory workers and refuse collectors don't get this perk. Aren't fair wages a human right we try to protect (hence the legislated minimum wage)? How does tipping help? Or do we tip to reward good service? I'm confused
I think you can compare it to a salesperson. They are paid a low basic wage and earn commission on everything they sell. The more they sell the more they earn.

In a restaurant the staff are paid minimum wage and earn tips. The better time the customers have the more likely they are to tip and the more likely they are to come back and tip again.

The customer tops up the salesperson's wages but does not see it because the commission is built into the selling price. In a restaurant it is not and the whole thing is more transparent.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
So did you ?
Yes.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

So...

It is the accepted norm that, if you don't tip, you deserve to have someone else's bodily fluid mixed into your food?
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:37 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Being a tight-arsed Brit, I believe people get a tip when they deserve one. If the service was better than average or if, as a customer, you've been hard work, fine, no problem tipping. People get paid for the job they do. If the wages are low, join a union or get another job. Tipping has soooo been taken out of context - it is now a reflection on the customer not the employee.
I concur....and the morons that took it upon themselves to bombard everyone with that name that has a facebook account

A tip should not be a given......do people tip bag packers in grocery stores, beer stores, your postal folk, cable person, gabbage folks or even people that do your oil change? Why is a restaurant any different?
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:51 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
I concur....and the morons that took it upon themselves to bombard everyone with that name that has a facebook account

A tip should not be a given......do people tip bag packers in grocery stores, beer stores, your postal folk, cable person, gabbage folks or even people that do your oil change? Why is a restaurant any different?
Because it is. And if you worry about it then you are a cheap bastard.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Why is a restaurant any different?
It doesn't matter why it's different. A potential customer knows that it's different, knows that the staff depend on the tip, knows that tipping is an obligation and would be a shit to eat and not tip.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:28 am
Marmite Lover

AishaA will become famous soon enoughAishaA will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So...

It is the accepted norm that, if you don't tip, you deserve to have someone else's bodily fluid mixed into your food?
Maybe you all just tip because you're scared - From what you've told me, it sounds like bribery/blackmail.

Do you tip the guy at Tims? Do you tip the guy at McDonalds? Or is there some kind of snobby heirarchy where you only tip at "proper" restaurants? Isn't that social discrimination?
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

we tip based on the amount of mess our child has made
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you all just tip because you're scared - From what you've told me, it sounds like bribery/blackmail.

Do you tip the guy at Tims? Do you tip the guy at McDonalds? Or is there some kind of snobby heirarchy where you only tip at "proper" restaurants? Isn't that social discrimination?
I don't go to "Tim's". I don't go to McDonalds. If they have table service one is obliged to tip, "proper restaurant" or not. That's how it's done in North America.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:43 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

No, because they don't wait on you. Neither are they restaurants. The use of the word "proper" is redundant here.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's how it's done in North America.
Or anywhere that service is not included. I always tipped in the UK the same as I do here, though I note that many places tend to add 12.5%, presumably to deal with the cheapskates who would otherwise leave a pound coin.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Because it is. And if you worry about it then you are a cheap bastard.
I see that, once again, rather than accept that someone may have a different opinion to you, you resort to name calling.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:02 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Is not tipping in the same league as choosing to fly Air Transhat or Thomas C*%t Airways?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.