No tip with a tip

Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No tip with a tip

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
No. No one has said that.

Servers, bar staff etc generally get paid a minimum wage which is then supplimented by tips. Please note that, in Ontario, the people behind the bar get a lower mimimum wage than everyone else, lower than the student rate of minimum wage.

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/...de/minwage.php

Whether or not people believe this to be a fair and just way of having things is irrelevant. Tipping for service is the norm in North America.
I do tip, before anyone jumps all over me, usually 20% but ...

If one accepts that it is the norm and that it would be done, I cannot fathom the argument against paying the staff (servers, meet and greet, chefs, etc.) a decent wage and adjusting the prices accordingly. In theory, wouldn't that result in the same amount being paid for the experience?

Then tipping could be left to acknowledging great service. I suspect I am missing something.

Apologies to Tangram. In response to what you have said, I have done something similar although, IIRC, it was "Don't leave us sitting at the table for 40 mins without taking our order." On that day, no tip was left. I am confident some will say I was wrong but the venue was empty when we arrived and the server was chatting to another server the whole time
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
And I see that, once again, you have made an entirely pointless contribution to a thread.
Apologies, but I thought you believed that all my contributions were pointless
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:23 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I do tip, before anyone jumps all over me, usually 20% but ...

If one accepts that it is the norm and that it would be done, I cannot fathom the argument against paying the staff (servers, meet and greet, chefs, etc.) a decent wage and adjusting the prices accordingly. In theory, wouldn't that result in the same amount being paid for the experience?

Then tipping could be left to acknowledging great service. I suspect I am missing something.

Apologies to Tangram. In response to what you have said, I have done something similar although, IIRC, it was "Don't leave us sitting at the table for 40 mins without taking our order." On that day, no tip was left. I am confident some will say I was wrong but the venue was empty when we arrived and the server was chatting to another server the whole time
I wouldn't have left a tip in that instance either I'm afraid.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tangram
I wouldn't have left a tip in that instance either I'm afraid.
I did leave a tip, just not the type she was expecting
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:34 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

When did the whole tip thing become number driven? You should be able to give whatever amount you want, if you choose to without them saying it has to be x amount on paper or machine in the first place
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
When did the whole tip thing become number driven?
At the time of the invention of the restaurant.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:58 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

Do people argue against that? I have no idea, I have never worked in a tip driven environment.

It would be interesting to hear the point of view of bartenders & servers. Are they happy to receive a reduced minimum wage with tips on top? Or would they support a change to receive just a minimum wage, but one which is equal to everyone else.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 5:29 pm
Marmite Lover

AishaA will become famous soon enoughAishaA will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: No tip with a tip

Well, you're a feisty lot aren't you? I'm still not sure I understand the thinking behind tipping, but I'm more informed about it...
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Servers, bar staff etc generally get paid a minimum wage which is then supplemented by tips. Please note that, in Ontario, the people behind the bar get a lower minimum wage than everyone else, lower than the student rate of minimum wage.

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/...de/minwage.php

Whether or not people believe this to be a fair and just way of having things is irrelevant.
Thanks for the helpful link - the system is very different here from in the UK, but it seems that a person is rewarded for their skills, therefore a student (acquiring skills) is paid slightly more than a bartender (unskilled).
Originally Posted by Piff Poff
You have obviously never worked in the hospitality industry.
I have worked in hotels, restaurants and pubs. Tipping was not unheard of, but generally practised by wealthy people or Americans or a combination of the two. Working in a bar, a customer buying you a drink was more common than leaving a tip.

I don't dispute that tipping is the norm in North America, but I disagree that a belief in fairness and justice is irrelevant.
If it is a widely held belief that people in the service industry are underpaid, then steps should be taken to rectify the situation. Maybe someone should bring it up around election time.
Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge and views, please put me straight if I'm wrong but it seems tipping in Canada is about supplementing the wages of the lowest earners, more than an appreciation of exceptional service.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 5:32 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=AishaA;9675143]Well, you're a feisty lot aren't you? I'm still not sure I understand the thinking behind tipping, but I'm more informed about it...

Thanks for the helpful link - the system is very different here from in the UK, but it seems that a person is rewarded for their skills, therefore a student (acquiring skills) is paid slightly more than a bartender (unskilled). I have worked in hotels, restaurants and pubs. Tipping was not unheard of, but generally practised by wealthy people or Americans or a combination of the two. Working in a bar, a customer buying you a drink was more common than leaving a tip.

I don't dispute that tipping is the norm in North America, but I disagree that a belief in fairness and justice is irrelevant.
If it is a widely held belief that people in the service industry are underpaid, then steps should be taken to rectify the situation. Maybe someone should bring it up around election time.
Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge and views, please put me straight if I'm wrong but it seems tipping in Canada is about supplementing the wages of the lowest earners, more than an appreciation of exceptional service.
A little from column A and a little from column B.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 5:58 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Tipping = performance related pay.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Had a meal at a restaurant in Banff recently. The menu had a very prominent statement "It is customary in Canada to provide a 15% tip for service". Somewhat heavy handed but I suspect the majority of the overseas vistors do not come from countries where tipping is the custom. I did leave a 15% tip and tend to these days although it does go completely against the grain.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I tip mine. At least I think I do as I've no idea how much he actually charges. I've just been handing over $20 for the last three years - I'm assuming he'll tell me when it's not enough.
Tip accordingly to the extent people can make your life uncomfortable.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:33 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
At the time of the invention of the restaurant.

Where did you pull that one out of? Don't answer that, I think I know where
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Where did you pull that one out of? Don't answer that, I think I know where
If you eat something not issued to you by the government, you'll find that payment is required, payment in currency. That's measured using numbers. It was ever so, numbers aren't new.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you eat something not issued to you by the government, you'll find that payment is required, payment in currency. That's measured using numbers. It was ever so, numbers aren't new.

Are you still talkin'?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.