British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   No tip with a tip (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/no-tip-tip-735577/)

Tangram Oct 13th 2011 4:43 pm

No tip with a tip
 
Noted this little snippet and thought back to a recent tipping thread.

This one is where the guy didn't leave a cash tip but some advise for a tip instead.

I'm sure he won't be going back unless he likes spit in his food.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/trend...154219798.html

Alan2005 Oct 13th 2011 5:55 pm

Re: No tip with a tip
 
I wish I had the brass neck to do something like that (although I would have spelled lose correctly). However, because I try to behave within accepted norms I give tips even when they probably aren't deserved. Stupid really, but I like to avoid confrontation or attention.

el_richo Oct 13th 2011 6:07 pm

Re: No tip with a tip
 

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9673229)
I wish I had the brass neck to do something like that (although I would have spelled lose correctly). However, because I try to behave within accepted norms I give tips even when they probably aren't deserved. Stupid really, but I like to avoid confrontation or attention.

I once offered the waitress the choice of a 10% tip or the cash contents of my wallet.

She took the 10% tip and lost out on an extra $50. I try not to tip when drunk these days cos my wife would kill me.

**Completely off topic, have you played Rage yet? It's aces!!

Oink Oct 13th 2011 6:16 pm

Re: No tip with a tip
 

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 9673246)
I once offered the waitress the choice of a 10% tip or the cash contents of my wallet.

She took the 10% tip and lost out on an extra $50. I try not to tip when drunk these days cos my wife would kill me.

**Completely off topic, have you played Rage yet? It's aces!!

You too. :o

Alan2005 Oct 13th 2011 6:22 pm

Re: No tip with a tip
 

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 9673246)
**Completely off topic, have you played Rage yet? It's aces!!

I'm waiting for it to be delivered - hopefully it will arrive today. Currently playing crysis (the first one - $20 on psn).

el_richo Oct 13th 2011 7:57 pm

Re: No tip with a tip
 

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9673272)
I'm waiting for it to be delivered - hopefully it will arrive today. Currently playing crysis (the first one - $20 on psn).

Nice. You're in for a treat. Well, i'm easily pleased anyway.

AishaA Oct 13th 2011 8:02 pm

Re: No tip with a tip
 
Being a tight-arsed Brit, I believe people get a tip when they deserve one. If the service was better than average or if, as a customer, you've been hard work, fine, no problem tipping. People get paid for the job they do. If the wages are low, join a union or get another job. Tipping has soooo been taken out of context - it is now a reflection on the customer not the employee.

JonboyE Oct 13th 2011 8:15 pm

Re: No tip with a tip
 

Originally Posted by AishaA (Post 9673435)
Being a tight-arsed Brit, I believe people get a tip when they deserve one. If the service was better than average or if, as a customer, you've been hard work, fine, no problem tipping. People get paid for the job they do. If the wages are low, join a union or get another job. Tipping has soooo been taken out of context - it is now a reflection on the customer not the employee.

I disagree. A standard tip for standard service is part of the cost of the meal.

Sure, they could increase the prices and pay the staff more but they don't. By not tipping you are expecting the workers in the restaurant to provide you with good food and and enjoyable experience on minimum wage. I am not comfortable with that.

Tangram Oct 13th 2011 8:17 pm

Re: No tip with a tip
 

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 9673451)
I disagree. A standard tip for standard service is part of the cost of the meal.

Sure, they could increase the prices and pay the staff more but they don't. By not tipping you are expecting the workers in the restaurant to provide you with good food and and enjoyable experience on minimum wage. I am not comfortable with that.

I agree, but not with the comment left.

Alan2005 Oct 13th 2011 8:19 pm

Re: No tip with a tip
 

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 9673429)
Nice. You're in for a treat. Well, i'm easily pleased anyway.

Yeah - looking forward to it. I pre-ordered ages ago, but it still arrives up to a week after release with amazon. Roll on the day it's all digital download.

Alan2005 Oct 13th 2011 8:24 pm

Re: No tip with a tip
 

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 9673451)
I disagree. A standard tip for standard service is part of the cost of the meal.

Sure, they could increase the prices and pay the staff more but they don't. By not tipping you are expecting the workers in the restaurant to provide you with good food and and enjoyable experience on minimum wage. I am not comfortable with that.

I agree - in that it's the way it works, and unless you can stop everyone tipping it won't change so why bother. However, you can't argue with this:


Originally Posted by AishaA (Post 9673435)
Tipping has soooo been taken out of context - it is now a reflection on the customer not the employee.


caretaker Oct 13th 2011 8:24 pm

Re: No tip with a tip
 
I don't usually mind tipping because I rarely go anywhere where the service is poor. The opening scene of Reservoir Dogs where they're discussing tipping still cracks me up after all these years.

JonboyE Oct 13th 2011 9:07 pm

Re: No tip with a tip
 

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9673467)
However, you can't argue with this:

Separated from the rest of AishaA's post I have to admit this is true to a large extent.

jericho Oct 13th 2011 10:51 pm

Re: No tip with a tip
 
Like it or not, tipping is customary here.
The choice to tip or not is yours, but please keep in mind that they probably remember frequent non-tippers.

I do agree that it's kinda getting out of hand, but unfortunately it is what it is.

One receipt I saw recently said:
"15% if you think the service was OK
20% if you think the service was excellent
50% and we'll marry you"

The mere suggestion of a 50% tip made my jaw drop. I generally tip 15% if the service is normal or better. I usually prefer to leave a fixed amount eg/ $15 if the meal was around the $100 mark. This can often be more or less than 15%, but it's near enough.
If the service was poor, I might not tip at all. Sometimes, people confuse poor food with poor service. I dont think it's fair to penalise the server if the food was crap.

We had friends who never tipped at all- including food delivery. I thought it was pretty naiive really, but their argument "I dont get a tip at work, so why should they". Whatever, but I'd rather pay a tip and have peace of mind that my food is left untouched and delivered as soon as it's ready.

Oink Oct 13th 2011 11:01 pm

Re: No tip with a tip
 
I ordered a couple pizzas last night and had them delivered to a boat. The delivery lad negotiated a rather strange dock in the dark and actually found the boat and it only took 30 mins from the time of ordering. So did I give him a large tip, plus I was a bit pissed.


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:14 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.