No one is iliegal

Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all
Default Re: No one is iliegal

Originally Posted by dbd33
My experience with undocumented workers in Toronto is that having been returned whence they came, they get the next plane back again. It doesn't seem a particularly worthwhile exercise to throw out someone who is working and not commiting an offence beyond being here.
But surely they are committing other offences. They get paid for working ......do they pay tax......if not, are they not guilty of a technical offence. If any of them are driving, they are possibly doing so without a valid licence and thus probably no insurance. Etc etc etc
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
There seems to be a little more to it than that, though.
  • From what I heard on the radio news yesterday, this was a "joint operation" between CBSA, OPP and ministry of transportation. That, in itself, is unusual.
  • It was conducted in an area of Toronto that is known to have a high immigrant population, a large number of whom are day-labourers. Nothing intrinsically wrong with that.
  • The overwhelming majority of those stopped were of a particular ethnic background. That's racial profiling, which is not allowed.
  • There seems to be some concern that the traffic-stop exercise was a transparent excuse to ask for ID, rather than a genuine road safety program. That is not allowed.
  • Passengers in some vehicles were asked to produce ID, which they are not obliged to do at a traffic stop. That is questionable at best.
I'm not surprised this has stirred up controversy. It will presumably also make it even more difficult in future for police to gain the trust of the public when they need their help to solve crimes in this neighbourhood. That is not helpful at all.
One could argue that they were simply targeting those that were likely to be in Canada illegally, and the results suggest that their "reasonable" suspicions were correct. Whether that, in itself, is permitted is another question.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:13 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steveh27wp
These people are here illegally and they know it! I'm not convinced that it matters how they were caught. The simple fact is that thousands of people are employed here in Canada to ensure that those of us who are here legally are protected and those of us who should not be here are prevented from being here.
Of course it matters how they were caught. Or do you want to live in the kind of society where your neighbours will inform on you to the Stasi, or an armed policeman can demand that you present identification papers at any time while you're going about your everyday business?

It is to prevent the sort of police state that so many immigrants have fled from, that there are rules about how arrests and searches can be made. It's all very well for us economic migrants to sit on an internet forum and pontificate about it, but we are only one piece of Canada's immigration pattern. Very many more are fleeing war, famine, oppression, or all three. The last thing they should have to deal with is a government that thinks it's OK to break its own rules, or an immigration service that is able to stop people on the street for no other reason than to utter a Great Escape-style "Papieren, bitte."
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:18 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
One could argue that they were simply targeting those that were likely to be in Canada illegally, and the results suggest that their "reasonable" suspicions were correct. Whether that, in itself, is permitted is another question.
That, I think, is rather a big question. Refugee and immigration advocates seem to be claiming, rather loudly, that hanging out where you suspect there are illegals, and springing traffic stops under the pretense of a vehicle safety exercise, is absolutely not permitted. The question then becomes, was there a genuine road safety issue being addressed, or were the OPP and the Transport officials simply there as patsies for the CBSA? That seems very unclear from commentary over the last couple of days.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:19 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it matters how they were caught. Or do you want to live in the kind of society where your neighbours will inform on you to the Stasi, or an armed policeman can demand that you present identification papers at any time while you're going about your everyday business?

It is to prevent the sort of police state that so many immigrants have fled from, that there are rules about how arrests and searches can be made. It's all very well for us economic migrants to sit on an internet forum and pontificate about it, but we are only one piece of Canada's immigration pattern. Very many more are fleeing war, famine, oppression, or all three. The last thing they should have to deal with is a government that thinks it's OK to break its own rules, or an immigration service that is able to stop people on the street for no other reason than to utter a Great Escape-style "Papieren, bitte."
So when the cops catch a child molester by going on line and pretending to be a young girl, (entrapment) do you sit at your TV and shout "that's not fair, the cops tricked that fellow"?

Cops do this all the time, just recently they was pretending to be homeless and ticketing for cell use at 400 slip roads. They was targeted for a reason, got caught and are now most likely eating an air Transat chicken curry. Good riddance

Last edited by magnumpi; Aug 19th 2014 at 4:25 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Police are well within their rights to ask passengers of a car for their ID. Obviously people are well within their rights to refuse to show ID as long as they are not driving.

Tim
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:24 pm
Magnificently Withering

Originally Posted by magnumpi
So when the cops catch a child molester by going on line and pretending to be a young girl, (entrapment) do you sit at your TV and shout "that's not fair, the cops tricked that fellow"?
How is that similar? This was not entrapment, this was more a bait-and-switch operation. Of course I wouldn't be upset at a police operation to catch kiddie fiddlers - that's what the police are supposed to do. But if the pervert in question is a passenger in a vehicle that is stopped for an unrelated safety check, do the cops have the right to demand to see all the pictures on his phone? No, they don't, and if they did so the evidence would be thrown out before it got anywhere near a court. I might think that's a shame, but I can't argue that it ought to be allowed.

Somehow the rules are different for CBSA investigators, are they?
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:28 pm
Magnificently Withering

Originally Posted by tim010
Police are well within their rights to ask passengers of a car for their ID. Obviously people are well within their rights to refuse to show ID as long as they are not driving.

Tim
Miss the point, much? Illegals are not renowned for their knowledge of the finer points of Canadian law. I don't know how these stops went down. But imagine the scenario: guy with gun waves it in face, demands ID. Immigrant, scared sh*tless because of previous experience of corrupt and trigger-happy police force in own country, breaks down and says "I don't have any." Handcuffs applied, back of the squad car beckons. What would you do differently?
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:29 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I would call it targeted entrapment. And it worked a treat.

How many illegal worker do you think will be working tax free today?
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:31 pm
Magnificently Withering

Originally Posted by magnumpi
How many illegal worker do you think will be working tax free today?
Thousands. Thousands upon thousands.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:33 pm

Thousands. Thousands upon thousands.
Minus 5 yeh, and not as many from the Jane Wilson area :@)
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
So, how do they get back into the country on a plane, when they're in the system as previously being deported?
Either no one checks or the system isn't very organized. I'm quite certain that the people I know to have been thrown out a couple of times are not engaging in any sort of complicated subterfuge; they just book the flight back and go drinking until it's time to fly.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:52 pm

Well if the Liberals have their way soon all immigrants illegal or not will be able to get a GOV I'd card, no questions asked and then claim health care, housing and EI when needed. And no one will be allowed to ask if they are PR or Citizens.

The wiki here will be shortened to read:

"Just come on holiday, get an ID card and stay as long as u like"

Not even a PR renewal or days in Canada. What a wonderful world a Liberal world will be !!!

Last edited by magnumpi; Aug 19th 2014 at 4:55 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Magnum , I'm with you that they should be sent back. If any of these illegals had a problem with their country of origin and decided to come to Canada to escape that, they can squeal the asylum line and have legal rights, believe me, they know their rights. These individuals could be from Britain for all we know, send them back to where they came from, I spent plenty trying to come here legally, I expect my privileges to be protected, as I would like to see any asylum seekers protected. If this is what it takes to catch these people, so be it. Any liberal types that think differently, I hope they move on next to you, perhaps they will wash your car cheap, after all they are not paying tax. Or perhaps they could make you a nice curry, let's hope they don't have TB or Ebola, because they won't have had the medical.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steveh27wp
But surely they are committing other offences. They get paid for working ......do they pay tax......if not, are they not guilty of a technical offence. If any of them are driving, they are possibly doing so without a valid licence and thus probably no insurance. Etc etc etc
I personally am commiting a technical offence of that nature just about every moment I'm awake. Canada has a lot of laws, some for everyone, so we all break some every day. The merit of undocumented workers is that they care not to get caught, they try not to speed, not to be obviously drunk at the wheel, not to fight inside the bar. They try to be inconspicuous. Documented workers can afford to behave less well as they can just pay the fines.

I suppose all the posters on this thread are working in a foreign country, Canada. It's not our country, we belong here as much or as little as the people being rounded up. We shouldn't think ourselves better than them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.