Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The new winter thread - 2018-19

The new winter thread - 2018-19

Old Nov 9th 2018, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The new winter thread - 2018-19

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck

And do you answer these people truthfully?
Yes. Why would I lie?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 10th 2018 at 12:45 am.
Old Nov 11th 2018, 11:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck

And do you answer these people truthfully?
I'm a bit puzzled by that question too. I routinely ask people where they're from and sometimes how they came to be here. I think that's the start of normal conversation in a land of immigrants.
It never occurred to me that anyone would make up a response. Why would someone do that?
Old Nov 13th 2018, 6:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Steady snow for about three hours so far. Another 10cm expected Friday with 15-20cm next Mon/Tues.

If it happens it will be the snowiest November since we moved here in 2005
Old Nov 13th 2018, 6:58 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Currently sunny and 0 with a high of +3; the snow is melting on the streets.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 8:43 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Steady snow for about three hours so far. Another 10cm expected Friday with 15-20cm next Mon/Tues.

If it happens it will be the snowiest November since we moved here in 2005
Serious question, do you have a normal size house with a 2-3 car driveway? I do and my problem with your amount of snow is where to push it all. Thank God it doesn't snow much here, but come February my driveway is chockablock with snow piled up. I can't imagine getting 10cm a week.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 9:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

-5C with the wind chill.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 9:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Serious question, do you have a normal size house with a 2-3 car driveway? I do and my problem with your amount of snow is where to push it all. .
Yes but none of us drives.
I used to shovel everything and a pathway to the garage door and clear in front the doors (they open outwards) so I could get to my bike - subject to roads being cleared. Then I kept it in the house for the winter but now it stays in the garage for the winter.

I have a guy with a truck and blade who comes out and just pushes the snow up the drive in front of the garage which is a few yards beyond the back of the house. Come the end of winter it's about chest deep and near the front edge of the house. Plenty of room for a taxi to park on the drive for carrying shopping up the steps.

So we're lucky. In the early years I did pay for a tractor/snowblower a couple of times and they directed the blower mostly over the back yard where there was plenty of room.

I never feel enough attention is paid to this when people are choosing their house. A couple of winters ago a guy up the street just left his car on the short drive buried in snow. Some have snow clearing contracts but they're $500 or so. One winter I took one out for the duplex I used to own, because I had a vacancy and needed access for viewings. It was a fluke year that only needed doing three times. For $500

Our guy costs us $200-$250 - but that fluke year would only have been $75
Old Nov 13th 2018, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Still waiting for winter weather.

Its been 9 to 12 degrees most days. A few rainy days mixed in with sunny days.

Actually been a nice fall.

8 years ago, I remember a cold artic blast hit the area around this time, crazy how much difference there can be years to year.

As of yesterday the local north shore mountains still had no snow.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 11:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The street was ploughed today.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 12:38 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It snowed tonight in the hammer wahhhh ............. I'm not ready for this!
Old Nov 14th 2018, 1:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It snowed tonight in the hammer wahhhh ............. I'm not ready for this!
We are experiencing an "intense snow squall". There was a couple of inches of snow at six o'clock, now there's maybe 5.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 7:34 pm
Oscar nominated

-9, -21 with wind chill. First half of November

Strong winds all day.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 7:51 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Strong winds all day.
Nothing here yet, just as well as I haven't changed over my tires yet.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 8:04 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Strong winds all day.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 9:07 pm
Oscar nominated

I was looking for a day after tomorrow picture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.