Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

New Skinny Basic 25$ cable TV

New Skinny Basic 25$ cable TV

Old Mar 1st 2016, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Skinny Basic 25$ cable TV

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
It would be $119 w/o box or PVR or tax if we were to replicate the channels we get. Most broadcast OTA channels don't hold a lot of interest in our household. The big 3 US networks + Fox don't show much we're interested in. PBS/TVO and the sports channels plus some of the speciality channels are what we watch the most. To each his own.

Our monthly bill is $73 + HST for cable which includes a PVR and for 2 TV's in the house. Many of the channels allow you to watch them online which is good.

The only way to get decent pricing with Rogers (or Bell) is to go 'off list' and secure a retention pricing plan to stop you from either switching to the competition, cutting the cord or just downloading everything.

If it was just me living on my own, I'd reduce the # of channels and probably ditch the land line.
Just got an email from Rogers saying my 2nd terminal will be paid for this month....another $8/month off. Back of the net
Old Mar 1st 2016, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Builing a package for shaw for the skinny package + theme packs for the channels we watch comes to 60.00. We pay 54 currently for the cable portion, so no savings to be found.

Internet is 65 dollars so its the biggest chunk of the bill.

Shaw wont budge on any savings, when my wife called and transffered to the rentention team they were fully prepared to cancel. They say they cant discount anymore services as we already have the max loyalty discounts.

Telus wants a deposit for service so not like we can actually change service
Old Mar 1st 2016, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Builing a package for shaw for the skinny package + theme packs for the channels we watch comes to 60.00. We pay 54 currently for the cable portion, so no savings to be found.

Internet is 65 dollars so its the biggest chunk of the bill.

Shaw wont budge on any savings, when my wife called and transffered to the rentention team they were fully prepared to cancel. They say they cant discount anymore services as we already have the max loyalty discounts.

Telus wants a deposit for service so not like we can actually change service
Is this any help?

Shaw or Telus for Home Internet and TV? - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

Shaw: Exclusive Student Offer, Save up to 60% on Internet! - RedFlagDeals.com these are expired but may give you some leverage of what is/has been available.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by magnumpi
New rules come into force on March 1st, all cable providers must provide basic cable for 25$
[/url]
Here is a summary of what the various, allegedly cheap(er) packages cost and what is included and what isn't
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 8:06 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a summary of what the various, allegedly cheap(er) packages cost and what is included and what isn't
Bell look well behind on this, 10 less channels than Rogers, no US channels and you need Internet at an extra $64. Major Fail !!
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 9:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Bell look well behind on this, 10 less channels than Rogers, no US channels and you need Internet at an extra $64. Major Fail !!
Is that a bad thing to need internet if you have it anyway?

BellAliant's fibre op internet is brilliant. We had it for phone and internet anyway and prior to cutting back we were paying just over $100 to Shaw for a selection of TV that suited us.

Using the new skinny deal, that would be $75 with the add-ons.

With the same channels, same number of receivers that previously cost the $100, we've added TV with BellAliant for a mere $12 to the bill for three years. Once the three year promotion is up, the new cost still compares favourably, although when that time comes I'll look at alternatives.

I will say that BellAliant impresses me. We've had phone/internet from them since we moved here. They converted it to Fibreop at no extra cost and later upgraded internet speed at no increase in cost.

It's as if we were being rewarded for loyalty without having to bargain for anything.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 11:48 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

You're not, it happens to all Bell FO customers I know

Still nice tho
Old Mar 4th 2016, 12:42 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Is that a bad thing to need internet if you have it anyway?

A Few people I know just use cell phone data, no internet at home. It will alienate them customers IMO
Old Mar 4th 2016, 3:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Well based on media reports Bell doesnt want anyone on the skinny package so seems in line with what they are seeking, to have as few as possible on the cheapo package.

Old Mar 4th 2016, 11:51 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well based on media reports Bell doesnt want anyone on the skinny package so seems in line with what they are seeking, to have as few as possible on the cheapo package.
I have an inbuilt suspicion on things like that.

In the UK the BBC gets a lot of media criticism. Just coincidence that large chunks of the UK newspaper business is owned by Rupert Murdoch, owner of rival TV broadcaster.

Then you get examples of newspaper columnists and financial experts critical of a company or service, only to find they have a connection with a rival or they are promoting something they have an interest in.

I imagine it's a similar situation here.

Of course, if Bell came out and said they were seeking more well heeled customers....
Old Mar 8th 2016, 4:23 am
Account Closed

When we moved and set up service in the Wack didn't realize how much the plans and prices changed vs Squamish, so things have changed a bit.

In the Wack the same service is 141 per month which is a rip off considering we were not paying that previously.

So I studied the shaw website, took a look at what we watch, and I think we can actually save some money.

Limited TV + 1 theme pack = 34.00 per month.

Downgrade from internet 15 with 150gb data limit to internet 5 with a 65gb limit.

Average use over the last 6 months has been 15gb a month, with only 3gb in February.

53.00 per month for internet 5 vs 63.00 for internet 15.

53.00+34.00 = 87.00 per month before taxes, so round to $100.

Decent savings, but can't go any lower then this based on the products and prices being offered.

I'd dump cable and stream but then we would need to upgrade to internet 30 which is 73.00 per month.

73+ 9.99 for netflix + DNS cost = pretty much 87 but no local networks and no US networks, so seems streaming doesn't save money considering you need to go up to pricier internet options.

Cable companies figured it out, people dump cable, so they raise internet making very little if any savings for streaming vs basic cable + theme pack.

We did add crave as its now offered by shaw through on demand so no data used.

Shaw made no effort to keep us at higher cable package and internet, they really don't seem to care if you cut back.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 8th 2016 at 5:19 am.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Decent savings, but can't go any lower then this based on the products and prices being offered.

Cable companies figured it out, people dump cable, so they raise internet making very little if any savings for streaming vs basic cable + theme pack.
I gather there is Telus and Shaw in your area that provide both TV and internet (and home phone?) services. Do you currently have a service with one of those right now in your name in the new apartment?

My suggestion is to call into their cancellation department (when prompted say 'cancel' or press the # prompt for cancellations), tell them of a better deal with the rival (get a deal detailed by the rival for a new customer for a package deal with all savings 'special deals' included) and ask them to counter.

Most people blindly accept the price increases and rip off prices but the customer acquisition costs that these companies have is large and they want to keep you as a customer. Paying your bill on time helps you get these deals, many of which are not advertised.

Don't accept the pricing that is shown in the Telus or Shaw store or on their website.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 12:21 pm
Oscar nominated

My suggestion is to call into their cancellation department...tell them of a better deal with the rival...and ask them to counter.
Don't accept the pricing that is shown in the Telus or Shaw store or on their website.
There seem to be an awful lot of people on BE doing just that.

I'm not really the bargaining type but to match BellAliant's deal for adding TV to phone and internet, ShawDirect would have had to pay me to continue being a TV customer
Old Mar 8th 2016, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
There seem to be an awful lot of people on BE doing just that.

I'm not really the bargaining type but to match BellAliant's deal for adding TV to phone and internet, ShawDirect would have had to pay me to continue being a TV customer
The only reason we have a landline is for the landline to qualify as a 4th service which triggers a whole series of discounts for bundling that are equal to more than the cost of the landline per month ($15).

The big four (Rogers/Telus/Bell/Shaw) are all bandits as far as I'm concerned who will gouge the customer as much as possible. They keep the customer in the dark as much as possible and bank on the fact that most customers don't haggle.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 1:29 pm
Oscar nominated

The big four (Rogers/Telus/Bell/Shaw) are all bandits as far as I'm concerned...
I often wonder about Rogers. I never hear anyone say anything nice about them. Lengthy tied deals with penalties, shoddy service...the usual stuff. I have no experience of them. Is it bias? Are they particularly bad? Or is it just in proportion and they happen to have a lot of customers and a lot of complaints.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.