British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Malaysian 777 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/malaysian-777-a-827990/)

Simon Legree Mar 15th 2014 4:54 am

Re: Malaysian 777

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11174318)
If the a/c was snatched as it seems is now is a possibility, it was very odd that it just disappeared and nobody took credit for it, or asked for a ransom.

Nicking the cargo would seem a good reason. It is hard to hide a 777, when flying they eventually come down to earth one way or another. One tends to notice them landing, not something that can be done on the qt. They are not able to drop into your average back yard landing strip. They need at least 7000 feet and 10 if you want to get out again. Unpaved it would stop sooner, albeit a bit abruptly and likely not be reusable. The max range depending on load and fuel is just shy of 8000 miles, a pretty big radius to search, approx 201061929.83 sq miles give or take.

It is likely (pretty certain) the authorities are not releasing everything, so there is still a lot of unfounded speculation. We won't know a lot more until (or if) it is located. Even then some things governments seem to believe we are better off not knowing.

Shame one of the pax did not have a spot tracker with them. I carry mine everywhere I go, so hopefully if I get lost in the bush someone will be out to pick me up pdq.

An 8,000 mile range is indeed a huge radius to search. But if the flight was at low altitude, as has been suggested, the maximum range would be diminished quite a bit because of the increased fuel burn. I agree on the spot tracker, I always have mine, especially out in the desert. Cheap insurance indeed.

Aviator Mar 15th 2014 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Simon Legree (Post 11174334)
An 8,000 mile range is indeed a huge radius to search. But if the flight was at low altitude, as has been suggested, the maximum range would be diminished quite a bit because of the increased fuel burn. I agree on the spot tracker, I always have mine, especially out in the desert. Cheap insurance indeed.

You are right, I was generalizing, rather than fuel the speculation and conspiracy theories.

magnumpi Mar 15th 2014 5:47 am

In the movie I would have the 777 fly into the rear of a super big Guppy like plane, while still in mid air, then fly that plane to a remote landing strip or island.

Then unload the passengers and make them all work to strip the plane and re use the metals to build a Death Star.

Cabbagetown Mar 15th 2014 7:23 am

I would find it hard to believe that the plane actually crashed or was ditched in the ocean. Hijacking a plane, trying to evade civilian as well as military radar systems and then continue flying for another 7 hours just to ditch the plane into the ocean doesn't really sound like a motive, if the motive would be suicide by the pilot.

Theft, of either cargo or the whole plane and selling the spare parts could also be a plausible motive. They could sell the spare parts on the black market, and it's my good guess, that some third world country wouldn't care about the serial numbers. For that the plane would have to have landed somewhere, in a country whose political system is capable of covering up these things. Could be Burma? I think they are communist? Continuing to Kazakhstan, would have meant going over China. If they made it there, the Chinese would have to cover up the matter, which I believe the wouldn't.

India is no choice either to set down a plane without notice. They have good radar installations in the whole area.

This would only leave the other option of heading south for a further 6 or 7 hrs of flying into the Indian Ocean and ditching the plane. However, why fly so far, just for suicide? - unless somebody really wants to cover up his death? and something more sinister?

Apparently the plane also flew above the recommended elevation. What was the point of that? Possibly to de-preassurise and kill the passengers?

Maybe the pilot was blackmailed and coerced into the hijacking?

Aviator Mar 15th 2014 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown (Post 11174527)
Apparently the plane also flew above the recommended elevation. What was the point of that? Possibly to de-preassurise and kill the passengers?

Minimum elevation at sea level is not that high! Anything above it is OK.

Shard Mar 15th 2014 7:34 am

[QUOTE=Cabbagetown;11174527]I would find it hard to believe that the plane actually crashed or was ditched in the ocean. Hijacking a plane, trying to evade civilian as well as military radar systems and then continue flying for another 7 hours just to ditch the plane into the ocean doesn't really sound like a motive, if the motive would be suicide by the pilot.

Theft, of either cargo or the whole plane and selling the spare parts could also be a plausible motive. They could sell the spare parts on the black market, and it's my good guess, that some third world country wouldn't care about the serial numbers. For that the plane would have to have landed somewhere, in a country whose political system is capable of covering up these things. Could be Burma? I think they are communist? Continuing to Kazakhstan, would have meant going over China. If they made it there, the Chinese would have to cover up the matter, which I believe the wouldn't.

North Korea perhaps ?

Cabbagetown Mar 15th 2014 7:40 am

[QUOTE=Shard;11174548]

I would find it hard to believe that the plane actually crashed or was ditched in the ocean. Hijacking a plane, trying to evade civilian as well as military radar systems and then continue flying for another 7 hours just to ditch the plane into the ocean doesn't really sound like a motive, if the motive would be suicide by the pilot.

North Korea perhaps ?

I thought of that myself. The plane was fulled for Beijing and would easily have made it. However, if the plane flew unnaturally low to avoid radar, it would have consumed too much fuel to make it to North Korea.

caretaker Mar 15th 2014 7:46 am

Flew in ever decreasing circles until it disappeared up it's own tailpipe.

Shard Mar 15th 2014 7:50 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11174564)
Flew in ever decreasing circles until it disappeared up it's own tailpipe.

Have you been watching cartoons again ;)

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 15th 2014 10:07 am

[QUOTE=Shard;11174548]

North Korea perhaps ?

I thought about North Korea, they could potentially make it into there without others in the world knowing.

Cabbagetown Mar 15th 2014 1:21 pm

this is also a grave failure of the aviation and technology industry.

How come that secret service, NSA, can surveillance the internet, locate any cheap cell phone, but can't find a plane? Even secret service agencies seem to be awfully quiet at this point.

How come, transponders can be shut of by the pilot just like that.

Even the black box, the flight recorder, doesn't transmit anything to any satellite. It's only useful once found, which is difficult, once the plane lands in water/oceans.

And let's not forget, this incident happened well after 9/11.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 16th 2014 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown (Post 11174932)
How come, transponders can be shut of by the pilot just like that.

I'd say because there is a need at times for it to be shut down, or because its electronic and there might be times when it malfunctions and needs to be shut down.

I am sure there is a valid reason as to why pilots have the ability to shut them off, maybe Aviator can shed some light on this.

Aviator Mar 16th 2014 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11175541)
I'd say because there is a need at times for it to be shut down, or because its electronic and there might be times when it malfunctions and needs to be shut down.

I am sure there is a valid reason as to why pilots have the ability to shut them off, maybe Aviator can shed some light on this.

Transponders and are controlled by the avionics master. This prevents surges damaging the circuitry on start up (plus a few other things).

Here is a bit about transponders. Without a squawk code they are pretty much useless for ID an aircraft. Squawk codes change and have to be able to be changed by the pilot. Even if they could not be shut off, deliverable changing the squawk code will confuse any monitoring ground station. If the breaker blows then the transponder ceases to operate. Pilots need control of systems for safety. A battery operated GPS tracker could be installed, so long as somebody remebers to change the batteries!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transponder_%28aviation%29

and TCAS which uses a transponder signal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCAS

On the whole most pilots like the idea of ground keeping an eye on them and keeping other aircraft out of the way. When you bump into another one, the outcome is not usually too good.

MillieF Mar 16th 2014 7:40 am

This whole thing has got more and more weird...I may be moving to belief in aliens!

Where could all that many people simply disappear, these poor families must just be in such despair.

I have particularly hated the finger pointing that has happened with all of the crew, which I suppose is to be expected in the circumstances...suddenly the handsome young co-pilot is a 'rule' breaker, because he's posed for a photo with a pretty girl in the cockpit, and the Captain has written about political doubts about Malaysia! It's quite dreadful...I wish some of this stuff could be withheld from the press until we know more.

My husband has regularly had his cargo hold jammed with gold and cash...but they don't normally know until just before the flight leaves, and how much could anyone possibly be aiming to get that might make this plot anywhere near worth it?

Yorkiechef Mar 16th 2014 8:08 am

Anyone ever seen the TV show. Lost...

But seriously, I do hope they are found safe and well.