British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Malaysian 777 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/malaysian-777-a-827990/)

Siouxie Mar 18th 2014 10:30 am

Re: Malaysian 777

Originally Posted by jwtimmon (Post 11179335)
As posted above

The captain and co-pilot tried to find the source of the smoke and fire, but it soon filled the cockpit and overwhelmed them (a tire fire would do this). It also shorted out cockpit systems one by one, including the transponder. The pilots passed out or died.

Or from my first link

If that were the case, how did the plane continue to fly for 7 hours whilst keeping to flight paths and changing direction and height several times.

The pilots being overcome by smoke does not make sense in this specific case, sorry.

The4BellsLondon Mar 18th 2014 11:32 am

Maybe it's the start of a new reality show that all the passengers and crew had secretly signed up to ... It's "pilot" season at the moment .. Maybe they will all turn up on out TV screens soon ?

Well it's not as odd as some of the theories floating around!

jamesmc Mar 18th 2014 12:11 pm

just been on the daily mail site and they have a photo o a airplane in jungle somewhere .yeah i know daily mail:o:o

The4BellsLondon Mar 18th 2014 12:20 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tay-radar.html

Hmm ... Did it drop straight down ?

Aviator Mar 18th 2014 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11179439)
If that were the case, how did the plane continue to fly for 7 hours whilst keeping to flight paths and changing direction and height several times.

The pilots being overcome by smoke does not make sense in this specific case, sorry.

If it did. Nobody seems to have a clue, ore at least letting on that they do. This seems as good a theory as any.
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03...ectrical-fire/

caretaker Mar 18th 2014 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11179439)

Turbulence, and autopilot. Cockpit explosion/fire is still the most likely cause imo until some evidence is found that something else happened. Repeating rumours and speculation over and over doesn't give them any extra validity. The plane may have flown for 7 hours. Possible because that's the range their fuel would allow. Find the airplane and we'll have some facts, but until then it's all guesses.

Aviator Mar 18th 2014 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 11179578)

The captions says it shows it over the jungle. Stroke of luck if the satellite image was taken at night, at that moment in time. If this was later and it had already come down, there would be broken tree tops, a swath cut in the trees and it would have broken up, likely caught fire.

As this 'sighting' is in Malaysia, what happened to the 7 hours it was supposed to have been flying?

Aviator Mar 18th 2014 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11179591)
Turbulence, and autopilot. Cockpit explosion/fire is still the most likely cause imo until some evidence is found that something else happened. Repeating rumours and speculation over and over doesn't give them any extra validity. The plane may have flown for 7 hours. Possible because that's the range their fuel would allow. Find the airplane and we'll have some facts, but until then it's all guesses.

Turbulence won't keep a plane flying, it just makes for a rough ride. Forward movement through the air does this (with wings and empennage) . A front end explosion would have destroyed all flight control, including George being kicked out of action. A fire would have engulfed the flight deck sooner than the 7 hours, if it really did stay up this long. An airplane would be unlikely to survive a 7 hour fire. If comms were kicked out by a fire, so would the autopilot likely be disabled very quickly.

A fire is not beyond the realms of possibility, this however puts the 7 hour flight window into doubt in my view. A tire fire would have engulfed the flight deck quite fast and have been evident very quickly. Burning rubber does that!

Then as none of us has a clue, we can keep on guessing.

JamesM Mar 18th 2014 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 11179578)

The only thing I can say for certain is that the Daily Mail is making a fortune in advertising revenue by publishing any outlandish theory it can.

Churn the content and drive up the advertising $$$$$'s.

Siouxie Mar 18th 2014 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11179595)
The captions says it shows it over the jungle. Stroke of luck if the satellite image was taken at night, at that moment in time. If this was later and it had already come down, there would be broken tree tops, a swath cut in the trees and it would have broken up, likely caught fire.

As this 'sighting' is in Malaysia, what happened to the 7 hours it was supposed to have been flying?

It doesn't say it's in Malaysia, it says "region depicted in the photo is as yet unknown."

caretaker Mar 18th 2014 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11179603)
Turbulence won't keep a plane flying, it just makes for a rough ride. Forward movement through the air does this (with wings and empennage) . A front end explosion would have destroyed all flight control, including George being kicked out of action. A fire would have engulfed the flight deck sooner than the 7 hours, if it really did stay up this long. An airplane would be unlikely to survive a 7 hour fire. If comms were kicked out by a fire, so would the autopilot likely be disabled very quickly.

A fire is not beyond the realms of possibility, this however puts the 7 hour flight window into doubt in my view. A tire fire would have engulfed the flight deck quite fast and have been evident very quickly. Burning rubber does that!

Then as none of us has a clue, we can keep on guessing.

I didn't mean to imply that turbulence would keep a plane flying, I was responding to Siouxie's query about changing height and direction. I've been in some wonderful turbulence and wonder what could happen if there was no-one flying the plane and it was still under power? If there was a fire (and the report from the man who says he saw it burning is one of the very few clues so far) it could have been extinguished at some point and the plane either continue flying for awhile or not. If it went down in the Indian Ocean and stayed more or less together there won't be much flotsam (I still think if it comes off a jet it should be called jetsam). Maybe in a couple of years Oink will catch a shark with someone's camera or luggage tag inside it or the trail of shoes with feet in them will lead searchers to the wreck.

MrHyperPants Mar 18th 2014 3:38 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11177204)
There's so much random stuff going on with this flight. I find it fascinating in a slightly morbid kind of way... and unfortunately I don't have a lot of confidence in them actually finding the plane. :(

Aviator Mar 18th 2014 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11179667)
It doesn't say it's in Malaysia, it says "region depicted in the photo is as yet unknown."

The sighting, if it exists is suggested as around Kelantan in Malaysia. If this really is true satellite imaging, they would already have the lat and long for the location.

Gozit Mar 18th 2014 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11177204)
There's so much random stuff going on with this flight. I find it fascinating in a slightly morbid kind of way... and unfortunately I don't have a lot of confidence in them actually finding the plane. :(

It scares me tbh... I love traveling, and the thought of that happening to me or anyone i know or love that live or travel abroad is horrifying. :( Planes might be the "safest" method of transportation, but one screw up and :eek: !!

These things dont affect us as much when its "not me" or "no one i know" and we just go on with our daily activities like normal sort of. But when its you or someone you know, its a different thing.
:zzz:

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 18th 2014 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx (Post 11179770)
It scares me tbh... I love traveling, and the thought of that happening to me or anyone i know or love that live or travel abroad is horrifying. :( Planes might be the "safest" method of transportation, but one screw up and :eek: !!

These things dont affect us as much when its "not me" or "no one i know" and we just go on with our daily activities like normal sort of. But when its you or someone you know, its a different thing.
:zzz:

One screw up in a car and you can be gone too, but people don't seem to have the same fear.

Never been in a plane accident myself, but have been in car accidents, and one was hurt quite bad, so I personally feel safer on an airplane then in anything on the ground.

As for a fire, would a plane really be able to fly for hours if it were on fire? Doesn't seem too plausible to me, if indeed the plane did fly for several hours after contact was lost. The fires that have happened that I am familiar with brought the planes involved down much sooner then hours afterwards.