British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Malaysian 777 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/malaysian-777-a-827990/)

magnumpi Mar 9th 2014 11:37 am

Malaysian 777

The 777 is one of the safest planes out there, yet this one disappeared without even a mayday call?
If both engines had failed the plane would have glided for 40 miles so what the heck happened here?

Two passengers are known to have boarded using false (stolen) passports.

This whole thing is bugging me, I don't see a good outcome to this, I smell bad guys involvement. But who? And why ?

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 9th 2014 11:50 am

Re: Malaysian 777

Your asking the million dollar question, and hopefully they will be able to determine a cause.

I wondering if it could be anything like the Air France flight a few years back.

caretaker Mar 9th 2014 12:00 pm

Why exactly - I see no advantage to any cause that 2 Europeans may be involved in that would target a passenger demographic like that. Maybe the wing that was damaged on the runway collision years ago just tore off and down she went. Although not with the 777 other airliners have had wing root problems in the past. I would assume they x-ray the heck out of those things regularly though. The experts on tv say the cabin pressure must have been breached rapidly, as in an explosion. Now that the Vietnamese Navy has a fix on the oil slick they can start fishing for pieces and maybe find out.

MillieF Mar 9th 2014 12:24 pm

The nasty thing is that the two people who both had stolen passports both purchased their ticket together...I hope it is just coincidence and a 'straight forward, very sad' disaster. It is surely a sad sign of a mailign society that we look for signs and portents, and they are often proved correct.

The Air France disaster out of Brazil was total pilot error...beyond stupidity pilot error...the aircraft was fine, and Air France is, quite correctly, being sued. Not that that will do the poor sods in the aircraft or any of their families a jot of good.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 9th 2014 12:33 pm

Global is reporting this morning, there may have been at-least 4 people with suspicious identification on board, and Malaysia has apparently sent the names to both their intelligence agency as well as the FBI for investigation.

Aircraft was last inspected 10 days ago, and nothing unusual was noted from the inspection.

Military and Civilian radar apparently show the aircraft turned back towards where they came from right before contact was lost, but this hasn't been confirmed.

From a picture posted on an aviation site, the 2 passengers on the stolen passports tickets were sequential, so bought at the same time. (this hasn't been confirmed form what I can tell however.)

MillieF Mar 9th 2014 12:48 pm

My further instalment from my husband who is getting it from PPrune, the pilot site is that there is that a Navy destroyer is at there now and no debris has been discovered, and they say the oil slick is the wrong colour and was probably caused by a tanker cleaning it's tank...

The emergency locator never went off and transmission just stopped, which is easy to do if you know how to do it, apparently.

What a horrible mystery. I so hope that there is a chance that they may have been hijacked, and taken somewhere and are safe.

MarkG Mar 9th 2014 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 11165056)
What a horrible mystery. I so hope that there is a chance that they may have been hijacked, and taken somewhere and are safe.

Until they find identifiable wreckage, there's still a chance. But, the longer it goes on with no-one admitting responsibility for a hijacking, the less likely that is.

RubyRose Mar 9th 2014 5:17 pm

My further instalment from my husband who is getting it from PPrune, the pilot site is that there is that a Navy destroyer is at there now and no debris has been discovered, and they say the oil slick is the wrong colour and was probably caused by a tanker cleaning it's tank...

The emergency locator never went off and transmission just stopped, which is easy to do if you know how to do it, apparently.

The whole thing is rather bizarre. A plane cannot just disappear without a trace,this explanation maybe the most plausible. It could be a religious group / fundamentalist - need I say more. I just hope the passengers are safe.

Ruby

bats Mar 9th 2014 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by RubyRose (Post 11165332)
The whole thing is rather bizarre. A plane cannot just disappear without a trace,this explanation maybe the most plausible. It could be a religious group / fundamentalist - need I say more. I just hope the passengers are safe.

Ruby

But it disappeared from radar. How can that happen unless it is no longer.

MarkG Mar 9th 2014 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11165338)
But it disappeared from radar. How can that happen unless it is no longer.

That's one of the many peculiar parts; if it was hijacked, how did no-one see it on radar? If it crashed, why can't we see any obvious wreckage?

I know modern air traffic control is often based around the aircraft actively telling the ground where it is, and that can easily be disabled, but it should still at least have appeared as a dot on military radar, unless it was flying very low.

So far, nothing really makes sense. When AF447 crashed, wreckage was found quickly, even though the aircraft pretty much fell straight down into the Atlantic. That said, there are probably a lot more ships sailing through this area, so there's a lot of normal everyday ship junk that's hard to distinguish from parts of a crashed plane.

Siouxie Mar 9th 2014 5:31 pm

If anyone else wants to read the posts from the pilots site mentioned above, it's here.

Piff Poff Mar 9th 2014 5:35 pm

I read somewhere that ther are anti aircraft missile testing in the area, that would explain it's sudden disappearance. If it's anything like that, then we will never know the truth.

Siouxie Mar 9th 2014 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 11165353)
I read somewhere that ther are anti aircraft missile testing in the area, that would explain it's sudden disappearance. If it's anything like that, then we will never know the truth.

But then there would be debris from the plane breaking up - and they have found no definite trace as yet.

There is also some speculation that the plane attempted to turn around and return back to it's departure point just prior to disappearing.

Bermuda Triangle thingy?

:confused:

MarkG Mar 9th 2014 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11165357)
Bermuda Triangle thingy?

Bizarrely, alien wormholes in space and time seem one of the more plausible explanations at this point...

RubyRose Mar 9th 2014 6:04 pm

Rather scary and frightening!!!!

caretaker Mar 9th 2014 6:07 pm

I thought it went missing in an area that had no radar coverage... when last marked enroute and on course it would take x amount of time to reach the next radar and didn't make it, and that's why it's hard to find. Experts will be able to tell from the wreckage fairly quickly if it blew up in flight or just augered in once they have the pieces.

Shard Mar 9th 2014 6:29 pm

They found oil slicks didn't they. It's probably in the sea. Dreadful.

justkidding Mar 9th 2014 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by MarkG (Post 11165346)
That's one of the many peculiar parts; if it was hijacked, how did no-one see it on radar? If it crashed, why can't we see any obvious wreckage?

I know modern air traffic control is often based around the aircraft actively telling the ground where it is, and that can easily be disabled, but it should still at least have appeared as a dot on military radar, unless it was flying very low.

So far, nothing really makes sense. When AF447 crashed, wreckage was found quickly, even though the aircraft pretty much fell straight down into the Atlantic. That said, there are probably a lot more ships sailing through this area, so there's a lot of normal everyday ship junk that's hard to distinguish from parts of a crashed plane.

5 days according to Wikipedia.

MillieF Mar 9th 2014 6:46 pm

Some of the reporting is dreadful, there was a poor woman saying that her kids were asking her when their Daddy was arriving! The poor families, it's bad enough for us speculating, but for these people, just waiting with no information is beyond dreadful.

magnumpi Mar 9th 2014 7:09 pm

Just the fact that virtually no info regarding this plane is available is worrying, is anyone anywhere even watching we're these planes or monitoring we're they are going?

Even if it blew up or fell apart, why is there no transponder trace?

The4BellsLondon Mar 9th 2014 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11165440)
Just the fact that virtually no info regarding this plane is available is worrying, is anyone anywhere even watching we're these planes or monitoring we're they are going?

Reading about the AF flight .. It took about 4 yrs to locate the black box!

magnumpi Mar 9th 2014 8:01 pm

Radio news just say they may have found a door

caretaker Mar 9th 2014 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11165482)
Radio news just say they may have found a door

CBC says a low flying Vietnamese search plane has spotted what looks like it in the same area where they saw the oil slick yesterday.

Dorothy Mar 9th 2014 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by RubyRose (Post 11165332)
It could be a religious group / fundamentalist - need I say more..

Ruby

I think you do. What exactly does this mean?

It "could" be any number of things.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 9th 2014 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11165440)

Probably just due to it going down over an ocean, hard to find things in a large body of water, even large jets, obviously all depends on how deep and large said ocean is, the deeper it is, the harder it is to find the remains of the aircraft.

Dorothy Mar 9th 2014 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11165630)
Probably just due to it going down over an ocean, hard to find things in a large body of water, even large jets, obviously all depends on how deep and large said ocean is, the deeper it is, the harder it is to find the remains of the aircraft.

The Gulf of Thailand is very shallow as far as large bodies of water go. Roughly 45m

Shard Mar 9th 2014 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11165641)
The Gulf of Thailand is very shallow as far as large bodies of water go. Roughly 45m

That is very shallow indeed.

MarkG Mar 9th 2014 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by justkidding (Post 11165413)
5 days according to Wikipedia.

Identifiable wreckage was spotted within 48 hours, according to the same article, but no suitable ships were nearby, so nothing could be collected and verified for five days.

If the objects seen yesterday were really from the 777, hopefully they can be picked up today and identified as such.

montreal mike Mar 9th 2014 11:33 pm

Malaysia's state news agency quoted Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi as saying the passengers using the stolen European passports were of Asian appearance, and criticizing border officials who let them through.

"I am still perturbed. Can't these immigration officials think? Italian and Austrian (passport holders) but with Asian faces," he was quoted as saying late on Sunday.

this would normally go on the 'stupidity galore' thread, but this is a better spot

Novocastrian Mar 10th 2014 2:10 am

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 11165678)
Malaysia's state news agency quoted Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi as saying the passengers using the stolen European passports were of Asian appearance, and criticizing border officials who let them through.

"I am still perturbed. Can't these immigration officials think? Italian and Austrian (passport holders) but with Asian faces," he was quoted as saying late on Sunday.

this would normally go on the 'stupidity galore' thread, but this is a better spot

Would you still say that if they'd been UK and Canadian passports?

Dorothy Mar 10th 2014 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11165809)

Exactly. I was surprised when I was in Helsinki just how many Asian Finns there are. I expected loads of blue-eyed blonds but there were loads of people of Asian appearance.

montreal mike Mar 10th 2014 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11165809)

no since both these countries are heavily multicultural

somehow i do not think this is the case in that region of asia

Dorothy Mar 10th 2014 4:12 am

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 11165865)
no since both these countries are heavily multicultural

somehow i do not think this is the case in that region of asia

But Austria and Italy (the nationalities of the stolen passports) are multicultural.

montreal mike Mar 10th 2014 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11165871)
But Austria and Italy (the nationalities of the stolen passports) are multicultural.

Yes that could apply in some degree to most of europe

Even so the point being is the Home Minister is criticizing border officials who let them through. He said 'Can't these immigration officials think? Italian and Austrian (passport holders) but with Asian faces'

He has a valid point.

It seems to me the officials, seeing Asian faces with European passports, might have seen a red flag and checked them out. They could well have been legit.

This was however not to be.

I do not fly internationally any more as i once did but it would be nice to know that people are not asleep at the switch

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 10th 2014 7:52 am

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 11165880)
It seems to me the officials, seeing Asian faces with European passports, might have seen a red flag and checked them out. They could well have been legit.

For western countries who are multi-cultural, I am not sure seeing Asians with those passports would really raise any red flags these days, you can't judge where someone comes from anymore based on how they look.

Look at the 2 Canadians on board, using the above quote, should they have been red flagged because they didn't appear to be what someone might perceive a Canadian to look like?

Dorothy Mar 10th 2014 8:38 am

Two of the 6 Australians were Li Yuan and Gu Naijun. Strange, eh? Western passports with Asian names.

Vexcore Mar 10th 2014 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11166019)
Two of the 6 Australians were Li Yuan and Gu Naijun. Strange, eh? Western passports with Asian names.

Obviously naturalized citizens....

but if aussie born? then obviously born to chinese/aussie parents lol

Dorothy Mar 10th 2014 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 11166024)

My point is that Asian looking people can actually be westerners. Why couldn't Luigi and Christian be actually Italian and Austrian but with Asian parents? Mixed race parents perhaps?

Vexcore Mar 10th 2014 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11166037)
My point is that Asian looking people can actually be westerners. Why couldn't Luigi and Christian be actually Italian and Austrian but with Asian parents? Mixed race parents perhaps?

Back then no... but now? of course it's called 'PROGRESS'

Get a baby from china raise him in aussie? he will call him self an aussie sound like an aussie but look 100% Asian... the world is changing... i have no problem with that.

but what i find weird is... Aussie passport with asian names on it.. just sounds wrong i think IMHO but hey that's just me.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 10th 2014 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 11166024)

I have a friend who is of Asian descent, and has an Asian name, but was born, raised in Canada, and guess what his parents were born in Canada as well. But his grandparents were immigrants, but my friend and his parents are just as much Canadian as anyone else.

Where one may "look" to be from based on name or appearance, is not a reliable way of figuring out where someone is from. Pretty much everyone in North America is descended from somewhere else, as are most of the people in Australia, so looking Asian and of Asian descent, does not mean one is any less Canadian or Australian. A white person born in Australia is no more Australian then someone born there who happens to be of Asian descent or anywhere else.

My friend is more Canadian then my girlfriend is, who is 1st generation Canadian, as her parents are from Austria, and she was conceived in Austria, but born in Canada.