British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Malaysian 777 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/malaysian-777-a-827990/)

Shard Mar 9th 2014 10:56 pm

Re: Malaysian 777

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 11165880)
Yes that could apply in some degree to most of europe

Even so the point being is the Home Minister is criticizing border officials who let them through. He said 'Can't these immigration officials think? Italian and Austrian (passport holders) but with Asian faces'

He has a valid point.

It seems to me the officials, seeing Asian faces with European passports, might have seen a red flag and checked them out. They could well have been legit.

This was however not to be.

I do not fly internationally any more as i once did but it would be nice to know that people are not asleep at the switch

I don't think he has a major point. So much inter-marriage these days, it won't be uncommon for people's names to not match their ethnic look.

I think the real issue is the Malaysian border didn't enter the passport details into a database which would have shown the passports to be stolen. Possibly they could have used the name/ethnic mismatch to do that.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 9th 2014 11:47 pm

Maybe the plane just disintegrated into small pieces? That is one theory going around now.

Does seem odd if its not a deep sea/ocean that it would be this hard to find if there were any large pieces of wreckage.

Shard Mar 10th 2014 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11166200)
Maybe the plane just disintegrated into small pieces? That is one theory going around now.

Does seem odd if its not a deep sea/ocean that it would be this hard to find if there were any large pieces of wreckage.

Given that it's not exactly open ocean around there, and there's quite a bit of political sensitivity, you would think the Americans would know exactly what has happened to the plane.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 10th 2014 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11166233)
Given that it's not exactly open ocean around there, and there's quite a bit of political sensitivity, you would think the Americans would know exactly what has happened to the plane.

You'd think, the US say's they checked their spy satellite images (of which there are apparently numerous in that area) and say they haven't seen anything, but who knows.

But this wouldn't be the first time a large plane has gone missing and not found, there are some still some out there from the past that have not been found to this day, so its not completely unheard of.

The oil slick they located is apparently not from an aircraft, but from a ship.

Atlantic Xpat Mar 10th 2014 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11166240)
But this wouldn't be the first time a large plane has gone missing and not found, there are some still some out there from the past that have not been found to this day, so its not completely unheard of.

Can you corroborate that assertion? I don't believe a modern airliner has disappeared without a trace anytime in my lifetime. (Which is greater than yours;)). Even AF447 was eventually found some 2 years after it crashed. Wreckage was found 5 days after the crash.

IMHO MH370 likely crashed but for some reason authorities are looking in completely the wrong place. That they are looking in the Malacca Strait now (some hundreds of miles off its route) is interesting.

Tangram Mar 10th 2014 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 11166305)
Can you corroborate that assertion? I don't believe a modern airliner has disappeared without a trace anytime in my lifetime. (Which is greater than yours;)). Even AF447 was eventually found some 2 years after it crashed. Wreckage was found 5 days after the crash.

IMHO MH370 likely crashed but for some reason authorities are looking in completely the wrong place. That they are looking in the Malacca Strait now (some hundreds of miles off its route) is interesting.

The only ones that have seem to be the ones that allegedly hit the Pentagon and crashed in a filed in Pens.

Can't think of any others.

caretaker Mar 10th 2014 1:35 am

They'll find it sooner or later. Things will float, be caught in trawlers' nets, be spotted by ships or aircraft searching, wash up on shore somewhere. I wonder what the door-thing was, cabin trailer or truck blown off a cargo ship or from one of the numerous ferrys that sink out there? A car from Fukushima that went it's own way?

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 10th 2014 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 11166305)

Varig 967 in 1979, lost contact 30 minutes after departure from Narita airport, and never heard from again, the plane, pilots, and cargo have never been located. (it was a cargo plane so no passengers.)

While not a passenger flight, in 2003 a Boeing 727 was stolen, and has never been spotted since, nor has the person believed to have been at the controls the day it was stolen.

Another cargo flight, in 1997 a Antonov AN-72 vanished into the Atlantic, crew and aircraft never located.

In 1995 a Merpati Nusantara Airlines DH-6 went missing, 14 people presumed killed.

In 1974 WC-130 went missing during Hurricane Bess, crew and aircraft never located.

I am not saying it happens on a regular basis, and not on this scale lives wise, but its not unheard for aircraft to go missing and never found, and the 707 was large for it's time, so not a small plane there either.

I never said modern for today's standards, or that they were all passenger flights, but the 707 was modern in its time, and large. The rest have been smaller aircraft of various types, but these have not all happened in the times before modern flight.

montreal mike Mar 10th 2014 1:39 am

At a news conference on Monday, Malaysia's civil aviation chief Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said all security protocols had been complied with and confirmed that the two men aboard the plane travelling on stolen passports were "not Asian-looking men".

SO IT GETS MORE CONFUSING

THE STORY JUST CHANGED

TWO PHONY PASSPORTS BUT NOT ASIAN FACES AT ALL

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 10th 2014 1:41 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11166320)
They'll find it sooner or later. Things will float, be caught in trawlers' nets, be spotted by ships or aircraft searching, wash up on shore somewhere. I wonder what the door-thing was, cabin trailer or truck blown off a cargo ship or from one of the numerous ferrys that sink out there? A car from Fukushima that went it's own way?

CBC is reporting it was moss covered trash. (this was apparently something else.)

The door thing has apparently not been located by ships to verify what it is.

caretaker Mar 10th 2014 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11166326)
CBC is reporting it was moss covered trash. (this was apparently something else.)

The door thing has apparently not been located by ships to verify what it is.

Al Jazeera: They thought they'd spotted a life raft but it was a moss covered cap from a cable spool.

montreal mike Mar 10th 2014 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11166321)
Varig 967 in 1979, lost contact 30 minutes after departure from Narita airport, and never heard from again, the plane, pilots, and cargo have never been located. (it was a cargo plane so no passengers.)

While not a passenger flight, in 2003 a Boeing 727 was stolen, and has never been spotted since, nor has the person believed to have been at the controls the day it was stolen.

Another cargo flight, in 1997 a Antonov AN-72 vanished into the Atlantic, crew and aircraft never located.

In 1995 a Merpati Nusantara Airlines DH-6 went missing, 14 people presumed killed.

In 1974 WC-130 went missing during Hurricane Bess, crew and aircraft never located.

I am not saying it happens on a regular basis, and not on this scale lives wise, but its not unheard for aircraft to go missing and never found, and the 707 was large for it's time, so not a small plane there either.

I never said modern for today's standards, or that they were all passenger flights, but the 707 was modern in its time, and large. The rest have been smaller aircraft of various types, but these have not all happened in the times before modern flight.

Maybe some have not been found because they gave up looking

It costs money

The Air France plane in the Atlantic was found after two years and loads of money being spent

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...ver-water.html

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 10th 2014 2:58 am

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 11166336)
Maybe some have not been found because they gave up looking

It costs money

The Air France plane in the Atlantic was found after two years and loads of money being spent

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...ver-water.html

I am sure they gave up at some point, eventually you have to if you can find no signs of it. Air France they at least found signs of it which I am sure made a difference.

You can't actively look and spend money on searches forever, well suppose you can, but most authorities probably don't want to.

magnumpi Mar 10th 2014 3:01 am

With over 200 passengers on board, they will continue to search, be sure of that

montreal mike Mar 10th 2014 3:08 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11166418)
With over 200 passengers on board, they will continue to search, be sure of that

yes but for how long?

next month, one way or the other, it will all be forgotten, except for the relatives

magnumpi Mar 10th 2014 3:29 am

Maybe, I for one will still interested in the reasons that the safest passenger plane disappeared without a trace

montreal mike Mar 10th 2014 3:34 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11166463)
Maybe, I for one will still interested in the reasons that the safest passenger plane disappeared without a trace

so far all signs point to foul play

1985, air india, left canada but never made it

and then there was lockerbie

Siouxie Mar 10th 2014 8:25 am

Debris field thought to have been found:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/03...w-for-efforts/

Shard Mar 10th 2014 10:15 am

A good summary of possibilities in the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...e-explanations

Although an alien tractor beam has not been proposed yet.

montreal mike Mar 10th 2014 10:24 am

yes a good link to the guardian

not mentioned is the possibility of a lack of fuel

it sounds crazy but it did happen in canada many years ago

does gimli ring a bell?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Novocastrian Mar 10th 2014 10:35 am

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 11166986)

does gimli ring a bell?

It certainly does. One of my colleagues was involved in a stratospheric research balloon launch from Gimli when that aircraft landed (rather unexpectedly).

But NASA did a similar cock up on one of its Mars landers. Which was rather more expensive.

Bloody metric.

montreal mike Mar 10th 2014 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11166998)

Bloody metric.

i figure that some at this site might have problems getting used to it

myself, i can live with mpg rather than litres per 100 km

Oink Mar 10th 2014 10:58 am

Apparently they're going to "intensify" the search. Why not do the intensifying bit in the beginning?

Shard Mar 10th 2014 11:03 am

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 11166986)

does gimli ring a bell?

Lack of fuel / engine failure has been ruled out as the the aircraft would be able to glide down for 90 miles. There would be enough time to give a distress signal and radars may catch the altitude change.

montreal mike Mar 10th 2014 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11167027)
Lack of fuel / engine failure has been ruled out as the the aircraft would be able to glide down for 90 miles. There would be enough time to give a distress signal and radars may catch the altitude change.

ok

i guess it is something else then

caretaker Mar 10th 2014 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11167023)
Apparently they're going to "intensify" the search. Why not do the intensifying bit in the beginning?

Waste of resources until they know what area it's in. Ever hear the expression "As big as the sea" or "A sea of something"?
Now if they have a debris field they can track the ocean currents and try to find some chunks from point of impact and on through the direction of drift. Same as all the boats working over a shoal of fish. sorta

caretaker Mar 10th 2014 11:44 am

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 11167032)
ok
i guess it is something else then

For the transponder to quit sending it's burst transmissions there was likely something drastic happened. Nobody's taking credit for blowing it up or shooting it down and I can't think of a group that would commit a crime like this against Malaysia or China offhand so structural failure or fuel or engine explosion is my early guess. I haven't read the debris field article yet but think baggage would be among the floating stuff so that should make it clear if it's the wreck and if there was a bomb in the baggage.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 10th 2014 9:54 pm

One the passengers with a stolen passport has been identified as a 19 year old from Iran, who is believed to have been in transit to Germany to claim asylum. His mother had been waiting in Frankfurt for him, and has been in contact with police when he failed to contact her.

This is what CBC is currently reporting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/malaysi...iran-1.2567697

(info subject to change, can't guarantee CBC won't change the story.)

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 11th 2014 12:59 am

CNN is reporting both stolen passport passengers entered Malaysia on valid passports from Iran, and neither can be linked to any terrorist group and nothing in their background suggests they were.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/11/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

magnumpi Mar 11th 2014 3:16 am

Quote:
Why are the cellphones of missing Malaysian Airlines passengers still ringing? Relatives claim that smartphones are still active as the search zone now switches to entirely new area

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-active.html

burks Mar 11th 2014 3:22 am

Apparently the planes you can see by zooming in on Google Maps are NOT the missing plane.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_4939573.html

Apparently Google's satellite images aren't live!!

magnumpi Mar 11th 2014 4:36 am

Now they are saying they have a track for the plane as it flew 100 miles off course, at low level, toward the Malacca straights?

Shard Mar 11th 2014 5:25 am

Originally Posted by burks (Post 11167971)
Apparently the planes you can see by zooming in on Google Maps are NOT the missing plane.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_4939573.html

Apparently Google's satellite images aren't live!!

What a let down ! :(

Aviator Mar 11th 2014 5:39 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11167071)
For the transponder to quit sending it's burst transmissions there was likely something drastic happened. Nobody's taking credit for blowing it up or shooting it down and I can't think of a group that would commit a crime like this against Malaysia or China offhand so structural failure or fuel or engine explosion is my early guess. I haven't read the debris field article yet but think baggage would be among the floating stuff so that should make it clear if it's the wreck and if there was a bomb in the baggage.

One would assume a catastrophic failure or hijack for lost comms. although with no contact from anyone, the latter seems unlikely. Even with no radio contact, it takes seconds to send an emergency squawk code, 7700 or 7500.

Speculation is somewhat pointless at this stage.

The search area is being expanded, not ramped up. This is how a search works, there is a narrow area for the primary search, if that turns nothing up, the search area is expanded, possibly requiring more assets. Searching is not a free for all, it is controlled by a search master who co-ordinates all search assets.

Siouxie Mar 11th 2014 5:47 am

http://www.smh.com.au/world/malaysia...311-hvhjg.html
Malaysia's military believes it tracked a missing jetliner by radar over the Strait of Malacca, far from where it last made contact with civilian air traffic control off the country's east coast.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 11th 2014 10:15 pm

This is becoming more and more strange by the day...

Vietnam according to CNN is pulling back on the search until Malaysia provides better information about where to look.

""We have scaled down the searches for today and are still waiting for the response from Malaysian authorities," Phan Quy Tieu, Vietnam's vice minister of transportation, told reporters"

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/12/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

CBC reports Malaysia has asked for India's assistance to help search the Andaman Sea region for the aircraft as the search widens, they also report authorities seem to be unsure of which direction the plane actually went.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/malaysi...-jet-1.2569129

This is turning out to be a most puzzling case.

Shard Mar 11th 2014 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11169150)
This is becoming more and more strange by the day...

Vietnam according to CNN is pulling back on the search until Malaysia provides better information about where to look.

""We have scaled down the searches for today and are still waiting for the response from Malaysian authorities," Phan Quy Tieu, Vietnam's vice minister of transportation, told reporters"

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/12/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

CBC reports Malaysia has asked for India's assistance to help search the Andaman Sea region for the aircraft as the search widens, they also report authorities seem to be unsure of which direction the plane actually went.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/malaysi...-jet-1.2569129

This is turning out to be a most puzzling case.

It must have been shot down by someone. They are squabbling to see who will take responsibility.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 11th 2014 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11169153)
It must have been shot down by someone. They are squabbling to see who will take responsibility.

I am starting to think that as well.

caretaker Mar 11th 2014 11:00 pm

Don't look at CNN, it'll rot your brain. Shot down by what, another airplane we have no trace of? Russian missle from submarine? CNN has a reporter outside the Russian embassy waiting to see if they will come out and make a statement about missle from submarine. Malaysian official explained yesterday the mis-communication re: the radar plot and how it was only 'possible' the plane changed course (it was a language barrier mistake) and CNN is still milking it. CNN started the first Gulf War. :-)

Cabbagetown Mar 11th 2014 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11167958)
Quote:
Why are the cellphones of missing Malaysian Airlines passengers still ringing? Relatives claim that smartphones are still active as the search zone now switches to entirely new area

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-active.html

This one, I also find very very strange. It actually leads me to think of the remote possibility that the plane didn't even crash at all, just landed somewhere in a remote airport safely the reasons behind this unknown?

Everything is just pure speculation at this point.