Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Life's Turning-Points

Life's Turning-Points

Old Aug 30th 2022, 7:17 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life's Turning-Points

That's tough, PP. Sending best wishes to you and your husband, and indeed everyone else on this thread who's shared a burden. It's shit getting old, but I suppose it's better than the alternative. Chin up.
Old Aug 31st 2022, 12:10 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

My close friend of 54 years has been diagnosed with cancer, that's on top of being quadraplegic. I'll quit bellyaching now and appreciate what i have
Old Aug 31st 2022, 3:07 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
That's tough, PP. Sending best wishes to you and your husband, and indeed everyone else on this thread who's shared a burden. It's shit getting old, but I suppose it's better than the alternative. Chin up.
thanks.

Originally Posted by bats
My close friend of 54 years has been diagnosed with cancer, that's on top of being quadraplegic. I'll quit bellyaching now and appreciate what i have
yep you definitely don't have to go far to find someone that is having some sort of disaster. Earlier this summer my daughter's boyfriend died, so that was a hideous time too, she went back to work this week, so she's starting to come through the other side.
Old Aug 31st 2022, 4:22 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
thanks.

yep you definitely don't have to go far to find someone that is having some sort of disaster. Earlier this summer my daughter's boyfriend died, so that was a hideous time too, she went back to work this week, so she's starting to come through the other side.
Oh dear lord you have had a lot on your plate. I hope you have someone to vent to. Look after yourself
Old Aug 31st 2022, 2:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear lord you have had a lot on your plate. I hope you have someone to vent to. Look after yourself
I believe that is a large part of coping with life changing events and health issues ... having someone to vent to. Lots of ears here for you, PP
Old Sep 1st 2022, 2:06 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I believe that is a large part of coping with life changing events and health issues ... having someone to vent to. Lots of ears here for you, PP
I don't want to bore people. We've all got a lot on. One thing I'm trying to get past is the annoyance I feel with my hubs as I think he could have had a different outcome had he done what the docs said years ayeaand following up rather than just blatantly ignoring things.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 3:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I don't want to bore people. We've all got a lot on. One thing I'm trying to get past is the annoyance I feel with my hubs as I think he could have had a different outcome had he done what the docs said years ayeaand following up rather than just blatantly ignoring things.
It doesn't bore people I agree . You have every right to feel annoyed. I nearly wrote that to you the other day . I would feel the same.
No magic answer for you. Just hope something works out somehow
Old Sep 1st 2022, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by BEVS
It doesn't bore people I agree . You have every right to feel annoyed. I nearly wrote that to you the other day . I would feel the same.
No magic answer for you. Just hope something works out somehow
Thank you xxx
Old Sep 1st 2022, 7:13 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

As a man I'm afraid I completely recognise the attitude of "ignore it until I can't any more." It's a common failing which is very difficult to address. Your husband will know he should have done something earlier, and he'll be angry at himself for putting you through this. Speak to him about it, it might do you both good. Again, best wishes to you both and to everyone else who could use some.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
As a man I'm afraid I completely recognise the attitude of "ignore it until I can't any more." It's a common failing which is very difficult to address. Your husband will know he should have done something earlier, and he'll be angry at himself for putting you through this. Speak to him about it, it might do you both good. Again, best wishes to you both and to everyone else who could use some.
I tried speaking to him about it and got 'I don't want to talk about it and start getting depressed'

I think our only way forward financially is to to sell up and move to be mortgage free or almost mortgage free. He won't talk about or research his condition.

I don't want to keep banging on about it but we do need to make plans and we can't if he doesn't face the reality.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 2:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I tried speaking to him about it and got 'I don't want to talk about it and start getting depressed'

I think our only way forward financially is to to sell up and move to be mortgage free or almost mortgage free. He won't talk about or research his condition.

I don't want to keep banging on about it but we do need to make plans and we can't if he doesn't face the reality.
Piff Poff, I'm really sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. Also sorry to hear about his very good impersonation of an ostrich, he mightn't be able to help it but it makes things so much more difficult for you.

I feel a bit silly posting this, as you/your husband are probably already linked in with them, but just in case - I note that the Red Deer chronic kidney disease clinic has social workers on staff. I wonder if a talk with them would help? They might be able to assist with financial info, or point you in the right direction. They may (or know of a service who will) do a counselling/support home visit with your husband. Somehow this ostrich needs to start accepting reality, not only for his own sake but for yours too.
https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...lityID=1070401

Another thought (sorry for rabbiting on), is there a family member or close friend who you think he might listen to? Sometimes someone a little more removed from the impact of these things finds it a bit easier to speak the hard truths that need to be said, and along the same lines, your husband might feel more able to speak about his fears with someone who isn't also greatly impacted by his diagnosis.

I'm so sorry you're both having to deal with this xx

Old Sep 1st 2022, 6:30 pm
limey party pooper

That's such an annoying thing and then you're torn between upset and ' i told you so' anger. And no we would never get bored, we are here for you so let rip. I wasn't aiming my comment at you but rather at myself for whinging on.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Piff Poff, I'm really sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. Also sorry to hear about his very good impersonation of an ostrich, he mightn't be able to help it but it makes things so much more difficult for you.

I feel a bit silly posting this, as you/your husband are probably already linked in with them, but just in case - I note that the Red Deer chronic kidney disease clinic has social workers on staff. I wonder if a talk with them would help? They might be able to assist with financial info, or point you in the right direction. They may (or know of a service who will) do a counselling/support home visit with your husband. Somehow this ostrich needs to start accepting reality, not only for his own sake but for yours too.
https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...lityID=1070401

Another thought (sorry for rabbiting on), is there a family member or close friend who you think he might listen to? Sometimes someone a little more removed from the impact of these things finds it a bit easier to speak the hard truths that need to be said, and along the same lines, your husband might feel more able to speak about his fears with someone who isn't also greatly impacted by his diagnosis.

I'm so sorry you're both having to deal with this xx

Thank you so much. We are under the care of the kidney clinic. A week Monday ago was the 1st appointment I attended as it was a these are the methods of dialysis appt.

I asked 'how imminent is all this?' Hubs had been telling ne in a couple of years, the nurse said, it depends on the numbers but we are looking at 3 - 6 months.

That Mada me gulp.

Then the Dr came in and said the only way we can try to bring the BP down now is to start dialysis in the next couple of weeks and then they can up meds. He is on the max for BP meds and it's still quite often 190 over 130.

Hence my o shit.

And then we were told once he starts dialysis he can't lift more than 25lbs. That's not a great weight for a car mad mechanic.

Hubs has no friends, he goes out of his way to have no friends. He says he only needs me.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 9:51 pm

That's such an annoying thing and then you're torn between upset and ' i told you so' anger. And no we would never get bored, we are here for you so let rip. I wasn't aiming my comment at you but rather at myself for whinging on.
And it's also why would I give you my kidney when you've done absolutely nothing to protect the function in the ones you have got. But I can't say that. 😕
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 1:28 pm
limey party pooper

And it's also why would I give you my kidney when you've done absolutely nothing to protect the function in the ones you have got. But I can't say that. 😕
I hear ya. You must want to shake some sense into him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.