Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Life's Turning-Points

Life's Turning-Points

Old Jun 27th 2022, 1:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life's Turning-Points

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
I remember when cricket batsmen did not wear helmets. This match will always stick in my memory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD0uglDlJVM
Old Jun 29th 2022, 2:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
In 2000ish when internet dating was still a novelty I responded to a profile for a "crazy Canadian, landlocked in London". That was a life changing moment as it lead to me emigrating with said Canadian in 2004 to part of Canada I'd barely heard of and only visited once in the depths of winter. The other life changing events of course were the birth of my kids in 2009 and 2012 respectively. Sadly, the youngest is also responsible for a life changing moment a little over three weeks ago when she was diagnosed with leukemia. Not all life changing moments are good, but we overcome adversity and fight on.
Sorry to read that. Not an expert, but I believe treatment of leukemia has a high success ratio. Many years back, the son of a family friend had it, and with treatment he was able to overcome it.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 2:57 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I am so very sorry to read this. As you may know, my daughter's autism has, in large part, defined my life. I've lived apart from her mother since the 1980s but we remain in close contact. Autism being the demand on caregivers that it is, I've been obliged to support them financially all along. I've made a lot of money along the way. In truth, I wouldn't have bothered for myself, all I really wanted (like Ronnie Scott) was live music and a good car but, when you have a disabled person to support, you have to do it. I, at least, had the advantage that I could stand before a huge audience, think "they won't bite you" and know what it's like when humans do bite you. That's my turning point, when the doctor looked at the tiny child and said "in my view, you are correct to be concerned. I think this is autism though I can't write that down at this age".

Al the best, there's no more to say.
Didn't know that. The more we hear of your history, the more ridiculous the moniker DBD becomes.
Old Jun 30th 2022, 12:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Didn't know that. The more we hear of your history, the more ridiculous the moniker DBD becomes.
Irony, innit? At the time the Guardian talkboard started, 1999 or thereabouts, I registered with my name then realized I should have a pseudonym. I was wondering what to use while arguing on the phone with the mother of my children. I was insisting that I would not pay for the opinion of a second aromatherapist (the first one having failed to cure the autism) when another daughter, who was at my feet, wagged a finger at me saying "you're such a deadbeat dad". dbd @ hotmail was taken so I tried dbd01 and ended up at dbd33.
Old Jun 30th 2022, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
...I guess that most of us have various career/ job application turning points too, but I have a couple of non-voluntary ones. I was two years out of uni when my employer seconded me to a client, originally just for three weeks, but I ended up staying for four years (the client liked me and put me on their payroll after the first year), and along the way was asked to lead an innovative, arguably ground-breaking project that set the course for my career since then. I occasionally wonder what I would be doing today if i hadn't been seconded to that client more than 30 years ago.
Yes, most of us probably do have jobs that have been turning points in our lives. I've told (in #1 of this thread) how I got to Canada, but not what happened when we left. My Toronto employers (Touche Ross, the accountants) had over the Xmas period of 1966 sent some of us single auditors down to Grand Bahama Island to help out the local Touche office, and afterwards a week or two in Nassau itself, auditing one of the big trust-companies there. When it was time to leave, I applied for a job with that company, and went back to TO to marry Linda, who had flown back from Australia. I didn't get the job, so in my disappointment I lined up a transfer to the Jamaica office instead. On the drive down to Miami we decided to give ourselves two weeks in Nassau to find jobs there. We parked our gear in the Customs shed, told the boss-man our plan, and said we would phone him to forward the stuff to us in either Nassau or Kingston, whichever. (Imagine doing that today, in this security-mad world!)

In Nassau we knocked on doors, and purely as a courtesy I called in at the trust-company - to be told that the Irish chap who had got the job I'd applied for back in December hadn't turned up, and did I still want the job? Yes, please! Linda easily got a teachers' job, and we lived the life of Riley for the next 3 1/2 years. Tax-free. And working in tax-havens is all I've ever done since then. A turning-point indeed.

Old Jun 30th 2022, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
And the title of my thread there "Why so few shrimps on the Barbie?" was a reference to the reluctance of Australian immigrants to post to the "chat" site. They must be a lot more reserved crowd than the Canadian ones! This Maple Leaf is jumping, by comparison. Mind you, maybe a lot come here expecting a chat about the NHL team. (Which I remember very well from my time in Toronto, by the way! Sigh. Those were the days, my friends.)
I doubt the Australians are more reserved than the Canadians. Maybe it means that they are out there in the fresh air enjoying themselves instead of spending time indoors glued to their PCs and social media and the like?
Old Jun 30th 2022, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
I doubt the Australians are more reserved than the Canadians. Maybe it means that they are out there in the fresh air enjoying themselves instead of spending time indoors glued to their PCs and social media and the like?
Well, that's the image, John! Outside the main cities it's probably still valid.I haven't been back since '95, so I've largely lost touch. But I'd bet that there are always plenty of Aussies spending time indoors glued to their tinnies! (That's cans of beer, mate.)
Old Jun 30th 2022, 8:35 am
Yo

Irony, innit? At the time the Guardian talkboard started, 1999 or thereabouts, I registered with my name then realized I should have a pseudonym. I was wondering what to use while arguing on the phone with the mother of my children. I was insisting that I would not pay for the opinion of a second aromatherapist (the first one having failed to cure the autism) when another daughter, who was at my feet, wagged a finger at me saying "you're such a deadbeat dad". dbd @ hotmail was taken so I tried dbd01 and ended up at dbd33.
So that's the etymology (irony understood, of course !). It's open-minded to engage even one aromatherapist for something like autism.
Old Jun 30th 2022, 11:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
So that's the etymology (irony understood, of course !). It's open-minded to engage even one aromatherapist for something like autism.
That gateway, alternative medicine leading to a subscription to Health Freedom News leading to campaign materials for Lydon LaRouche presaged Qanon, anti-vaxxers, Trump and the Freedumb truckers. The right has a long history of batshittery.

Last edited by dbd33; Jun 30th 2022 at 11:53 am.
Old Jul 4th 2022, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

My wife's turning point was answering an advertisement on an Earl's Court notice-board for a travelling companion. She and Louise (the advertiser) made it down to Greece before the personality-clashes became dangerous enough for Linda to storm out of their hotel room at four a.m. and hitch a ride into Thessaloniki and the Youth Hostel there. I happened to be there too, and she bummed a ride in my Beetle next morning. Life with me - both then and later - was very different from what she was expecting. Three Norwegian grandchildren wasn't on her agenda, that's for sure. How the Norwegians got into the picture is another story. It all started when our son hitched a ride on a yacht going to Texas...
Old Jul 19th 2022, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just to close out that theme - how we came to have three Norwegian grandchildren... Our son, then aged 24, hitched a ride with some Americans on a yacht sailing from here (Cayman) to Texas. He worked his way down to Mexico as far as Mexico City. While washing car engines there for a dollar a day, he lucked into a modelling + TV commercials job for $100 a day. [Or was it per hour? I forget. Per day seems a bit low, but per hour a bit high. I'll ask, next time he phones.] He turned his back on the money, and fell in with a band of Western hippies, one of whom was a young Norwegian and her year-old toddler. The band wandered down to South America, where the Norwegian girl got pregnant and insisted on going back home for the birth. [Norwegian women do that.] That was our second grandchild, and the third came along a few years afterwards, with a different mother. Luckily, they all speak excellent English now.

Among my family's land-holdings is a rough treehouse in the village of San Marcos La Laguna in Guatemala. If it's still there. He has the title, but, well, it's been 19 years now...
Old Aug 6th 2022, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Actually, the major, major turning point of my life was fathering a child. Initially I wasn't at all pleased with the addition, but after two or three years of holding-off, I fell helplessly in love with my little boy - and that changed my life. Not only did we decide to stay here in this Caribbean island, instead of moving on after our standard three-year stint as we had planned, but I became a house-father while my wife kept her job. I was the parent of first resort. I lasted six years at that, and never went back to full-time work outside the home. He and I were always (from that time) closer than he and his mother, owing to my Saint-Paul-on-the-road-to-Damascus turning point.

I wonder how many others have seen the acceptance of a child as their turning points. A lot, I expect!
Old Aug 6th 2022, 1:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I had a similar turning point in 1998, re online dating, but neither you or I are particularly unusual in that regard here on BE - there are/ were three regular contributors to BE threads (that I knew of) who met their spouse on line, before I met the future Mrs P in 1998.
Since the thread is back to life, I'm married to someone I met from this board. Prior to this arrangement I lived for years with someone from the Grauniad talkboard. Meeting the Gaurdinista was a turning point. I was driving back from Venture CA with a daughter. We'd had a good trip, driven on the beach in the waves in a convertible, tried surfing, fun stuff but we'd seen only each other for a week and a half. At the time I had the habit of meeting random people from the internet wherever I was so I pinged a lesbian poster in Colorado and the three of us went for a beer. I expected to hear about the tribulations of being gay in the west outside of the Republic of Boulder.

As the evening wore on, the lesbianism seemed negotiable so my daughter asked for the car keys and said she'd crash in the car leaving me the room. Her mother was subsequently quite scathing about that "am I to understand that you left your underage daughter in a bar with elk hunters while you went to have sex with a lesbian?" is not a question one should answer without counsel. Certainly a lively debate about the environmental impact of hunting was in progress when I, er, retired. Anyway, the upshot was that the bisexual came to live (I ultimately sponsored her as an immigrant partner despite my being married to someone else),

It all want well until her life changing fixation emerged. She was negotiable as a lesbian but non-negotiable as an equestrian. In due course we moved to the country. I've had an involvement with horses ever since.
Old Aug 6th 2022, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

... It all want well until her life changing fixation emerged. She was negotiable as a lesbian but non-negotiable as an equestrian. In due course we moved to the country. I've had an involvement with horses ever since.
A fascinating story, dbd! I had to read it twice. The first time, I got confused trying to figure out the lesbian-to-horses transference, but I think I've got it now. Well, I hope I've got it now.

Anyway, your story covers a whole huge mass of turning-points, and is very much in the spirit of the thread! I'm sure our readers would be delighted to read of any others you can tell to a mixed audience! (Smile) (I have to add "smile" lest I be accused of being serious when I'm not. It has happened.)
Old Aug 9th 2022, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

At the time I had the habit of meeting random people from the internet wherever I was (snip)
That caught my attention. Other than meeting random internet people to buy/sell a bicycle or a canoe or whatever, I have never really considered enhancing my social life this way. And then last year, I was giggling over something you posted and I thought 'next time I am in Toronto with some spare time, I am going to ping dbd and see if wants to go out for a beer'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.