Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I find this very disturbing.

I find this very disturbing.

Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:01 pm
  #76  
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,020
bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

Originally Posted by daft batty View Post
The laws of the Bible...... There are so many to choose from. Leviticus, thats my favourite selection.
Awesome:

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/lev/intro.html
bazzz is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:07 am
  #77  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 894
AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

I don't need the skeptics Bible - I believe the real one.

And countries are indeed described by their faith as you well know...ie A Muslim Country...etc etc.

As you seem to be quite intelligent I think you do know what I mean when I say the law of the Bible and PC crap - however I do not know what you mean that T Blair and GW Bush are theist?
AlvicBC is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2008, 7:20 am
  #78  
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin
 
Harrypottermouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: London Outskirts
Posts: 1,161
Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

Originally Posted by seanyg View Post
i wonder if george (dubya) bush was home-schooled...? could explain the madness behind his methods if he was subjected to similar 'educational' outings...

(not that any amount of bad-schooling cou
See what I mean about home educators getting a bad press...perhaps this is the difference between home educated and home schooled - Edders - get taught by means of becoming independent learners, schoolers get taught the same way as at school...crap shoveled every day??? if you want to go that route...personally, I don't believe many home educators/schoolers do...like always it will be only the extremists you hear about.
Harrypottermouse is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2008, 7:39 am
  #79  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 26
Thorstien is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

And the earth is flat and the sun revolves around it, didn't ya know? Well it is an age old argument that my co-workers and I discuss from time to time. I think they might both be right, in the film. I follow no religilon in particular, but I do belive in Karma and The Golden Rule. However disturbing this video may be, I am for more worried about how it will all end. If this weblite I found has but a stitch of truth we are all in for it. Skeptics beware- this website will challange most conventional belifes. keep an open mind, as the connectivity of the research is well founded. http://survive2012.com

Last edited by Thorstien; Apr 5th 2008 at 7:52 am. Reason: bad grammar
Thorstien is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:36 pm
  #80  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,259
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

Originally Posted by Thorstien View Post
And the earth is flat and the sun revolves around it, didn't ya know? Well it is an age old argument that my co-workers and I discuss from time to time. I think they might both be right, in the film. I follow no religilon in particular, but I do belive in Karma and The Golden Rule. However disturbing this video may be, I am for more worried about how it will all end. If this weblite I found has but a stitch of truth we are all in for it. Skeptics beware- this website will challange most conventional belifes. keep an open mind, as the connectivity of the research is well founded. http://survive2012.com
It's sunny outside in Thunder Bay.

http://weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/page..._metric_e.html

You can go outside now. It's been a while, hasn't it?
Novocastrian is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2008, 2:18 am
  #81  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,151
stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

I was brought up with a religious belief as a JW before slipping slowly away from the organization some ten years ago. Naturally, I was taught that we were created and I don't have a problem with that understanding even now although I'm no more convinced of it as I am of evolution.

The video makes a mockery of believing in creation because the bible doesn't talk about six twenty-four hour days for God to create the earth it just says days which could mean an undetermined period of time. After all a day on the planet Saturn is different to a day on earth so if there really is a creator of the universe and everything in it then he or she is hardly likely to be working on a twenty-four hour schedule.

But all we have is circumstantial evidence given to us by either those who believe in science or those or believe in God and creation. God tends to get quite a bad press these days so evolution is believed as fact because it would seriously worry most people if they suddenly found themselves being held accountable to a powerful almighty looking down from on high. People don't want God in their lives, it makes no sense to them and it's easier and fashionable to not have a faith.

I doubt many people look closely into the evidence supplied to try and prove evolution but I'd like see some fossils for the real in-between stages. I mean which was the creature that at one point was stumbling around blindly before it evolved an eye. And how did that eye develop? Did it just appear or was their a creature with half an eye to start with.? A kind of prototype perhaps. Apply that same thought to all the other senses that give us so much appreciation for the nice things in life. I'd like to see evidence of this kind of development but I'm not convinced it's been found so far. Instead we just have fossil remains of different creatures that have lived in the past.

On the other hand how did God get here? The bible says he had no beginning. So how can that be so?

I have no answers but I don't think anyone else can really have either. Everyone can make an opinion but as Rete said there's no need to abuse and ridicule someone else's beliefs. It's just important that our children are given the information that we have and then be encouraged to make up their own minds. Science is being modified all the time so it can no more be counted on as gospel anymore than...well the gospel can.
stepnek is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:09 am
  #82  
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin
 
Harrypottermouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: London Outskirts
Posts: 1,161
Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

Originally Posted by stepnek View Post
I was brought up with a religious belief as a JW before slipping slowly away from the organization some ten years ago. Naturally, I was taught that we were created and I don't have a problem with that understanding even now although I'm no more convinced of it as I am of evolution.

The video makes a mockery of believing in creation because the bible doesn't talk about six twenty-four hour days for God to create the earth it just says days which could mean an undetermined period of time. After all a day on the planet Saturn is different to a day on earth so if there really is a creator of the universe and everything in it then he or she is hardly likely to be working on a twenty-four hour schedule.

But all we have is circumstantial evidence given to us by either those who believe in science or those or believe in God and creation. God tends to get quite a bad press these days so evolution is believed as fact because it would seriously worry most people if they suddenly found themselves being held accountable to a powerful almighty looking down from on high. People don't want God in their lives, it makes no sense to them and it's easier and fashionable to not have a faith.

I doubt many people look closely into the evidence supplied to try and prove evolution but I'd like see some fossils for the real in-between stages. I mean which was the creature that at one point was stumbling around blindly before it evolved an eye. And how did that eye develop? Did it just appear or was their a creature with half an eye to start with.? A kind of prototype perhaps. Apply that same thought to all the other senses that give us so much appreciation for the nice things in life. I'd like to see evidence of this kind of development but I'm not convinced it's been found so far. Instead we just have fossil remains of different creatures that have lived in the past.

On the other hand how did God get here? The bible says he had no beginning. So how can that be so?

I have no answers but I don't think anyone else can really have either. Everyone can make an opinion but as Rete said there's no need to abuse and ridicule someone else's beliefs. It's just important that our children are given the information that we have and then be encouraged to make up their own minds. Science is being modified all the time so it can no more be counted on as gospel anymore than...well the gospel can.
Amen to that...
Harrypottermouse is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2008, 3:52 pm
  #83  
 
Cassie 10000's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,842
Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

Bainwashing our youth
Cassie 10000 is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:04 pm
  #84  
Islander
 
windward's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto, woo!
Posts: 953
windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

Originally Posted by stepnek View Post
God tends to get quite a bad press these days so evolution is believed as fact because it would seriously worry most people if they suddenly found themselves being held accountable to a powerful almighty looking down from on high. People don't want God in their lives, it makes no sense to them and it's easier and fashionable to not have a faith.

I mean which was the creature that at one point was stumbling around blindly before it evolved an eye. And how did that eye develop? Did it just appear or was their a creature with half an eye to start with.? A kind of prototype perhaps. Apply that same thought to all the other senses that give us so much appreciation for the nice things in life. I'd like to see evidence of this kind of development but I'm not convinced it's been found so far.
On the contrary I think if a lot of people found it within themselves to have faith they would lead much happier lives. The idea that someone's keeping score on your bad deeds? Fine. The idea that you can be granted forgiveness for any sin and prayer is a route to an eternal friend who can help you win a hockey match/get that promotion/protect your child in a warzone? Absolutely fab.

The eye thing works on the same principle as the fact that antibiotics are becoming less and less effective on the organisms they once devastated. If a species doesn't adapt, it dies. The members of a species with the slight advantage - an extra leg, a nascent eye, are the ones that don't get eaten and then can procreate. Most offspring are not carbon copies of their parents.

Science makes assumptions too, but they are based more on empirically confirmed facts than the Bible's leaps of faith.
windward is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:42 am
  #85  
Magnificently Withering
 
Oakvillian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 6,834
Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

Originally Posted by stepnek View Post
I doubt many people look closely into the evidence supplied to try and prove evolution but I'd like see some fossils for the real in-between stages. I mean which was the creature that at one point was stumbling around blindly before it evolved an eye. And how did that eye develop? Did it just appear or was their a creature with half an eye to start with.? A kind of prototype perhaps. Apply that same thought to all the other senses that give us so much appreciation for the nice things in life. I'd like to see evidence of this kind of development but I'm not convinced it's been found so far. Instead we just have fossil remains of different creatures that have lived in the past.
Yes, the eye thing is often quoted by Creationists and ID believers as an example of "it couldn't have happened by accident," but to borrow a phrase from Bazzz, it's bollocks. You don't even need to look to the fossil record for evidence of the gradual evolutionary development of the eye. Various species of mollusc extant today show every significant evolutionary phase, from a simple photosensitive pigment cell to a complex eye with cornea, iris, lens and retina. Britannica has diagrams and names the relevant species here
Oakvillian is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:03 am
  #86  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,151
stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

Originally Posted by Oakvillian View Post
Yes, the eye thing is often quoted by Creationists and ID believers as an example of "it couldn't have happened by accident," but to borrow a phrase from Bazzz, it's bollocks. You don't even need to look to the fossil record for evidence of the gradual evolutionary development of the eye. Various species of mollusc extant today show every significant evolutionary phase, from a simple photosensitive pigment cell to a complex eye with cornea, iris, lens and retina. Britannica has diagrams and names the relevant species here
The mollusc example doesn't especially convince as it just shows the type of eye each of those different creatures happened to have or had. How does that prove evolution of the eye? The limpet has a much less complex eye than does an octopus. But I'm not arguing in favour of one or the other because honestly I just don't know.

However I'm never likely to be won over by someone who feels the need to belittle an alternative point of view as simply "bollocks". That, I'm afraid just lacks class.

Last edited by stepnek; Apr 7th 2008 at 5:09 am.
stepnek is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:15 am
  #87  
why
BE Forum Addict
 
why's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,352
why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

it is very disturbing isn't it.... that people believe everything in the bible (as it is) now that is very mental. faith is ok but drumming that shit into kids heads is abusive if you ask me. i have a real problem with the whole "eve" thing. and many bible followers only take the bits they want to.. better not go too far.....
why is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:08 pm
  #88  
Magnificently Withering
 
Oakvillian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 6,834
Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

Originally Posted by stepnek View Post
The mollusc example doesn't especially convince as it just shows the type of eye each of those different creatures happened to have or had. How does that prove evolution of the eye? The limpet has a much less complex eye than does an octopus. But I'm not arguing in favour of one or the other because honestly I just don't know.

However I'm never likely to be won over by someone who feels the need to belittle an alternative point of view as simply "bollocks". That, I'm afraid just lacks class.
What's to prove? As far as I can make out, the ID argument against the evolutionary formation of the eye holds that there are no significant advantages to any intermediate steps in the formation of an organ as complicated as a human eye. The example from the mollusc world illustrates (note: not proves, just illustrates) that there are in fact several stages in the evolution of a complex eye, each of which offers a survival advantage to the subjects of the mutation that caused it.

The simplest proto-eye allows a sensing of light and dark, so could help an organism decide which side of the rock it's attached to is in sunshine longer and so will have more plant life growing on it. And so on: as the developments go on through thousands of generations, each time the possessors of the more "advanced" eye are stronger/fitter/more able to proliferate. As species diverge, some evolutionary pathways (e.g. the limpet) don't develop any further. Others do, until we arrive at something like the squid, that has a highly developed, complex eye.

Incidentally, squid eyes are more highly developed than human eyes: the retina forms a double surface with blood vessels and optic nerves between the layers, so there's no "blind spot" and much better ability to see in poor light conditions.

THe "bollocks" comment, as I hoped you would realise, was not intended as an insult or to belittle your point of view. However, I maintain that one of the most oft-repeated arguments of ID proponents about the formation of the eye really doesn't hold up to scrutiny. There is plenty of objective evidence in currently extant species, never mind the fossil record, that shows the evolutionary advantage of many of the intermediate steps in the process of formation of a complex eye. If the crutch that props up the argument is knocked away, the argument collapses, no?

Conversely, I have no difficulty reconciling my view of evolutionary science - or my views on creationism - with my Christian faith (though it probably helps that that is a wishy-washy George Carey-style Anglicanism rather than an evangelical or JW viewpoint). Bible-literalists get into a whole load more trouble in terms of logical fallacy than the ID argument, IMHO.

BTW, sorry for long post - it seems I feel more strongly on this than I realised...
Oakvillian is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:53 pm
  #89  
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin
 
Harrypottermouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: London Outskirts
Posts: 1,161
Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

A thought loosly based on this subject has come to mind...and that is

In libraries, do they put the bible in the fiction or non-fiction section?

Genuine question - I don't know the answer....
Harrypottermouse is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:00 pm
  #90  
Logical & Hot Stuff
 
FlirtyKnickers's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario's Armpit
Posts: 19,815
FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

Originally Posted by Harrypottermouse View Post
A thought loosly based on this subject has come to mind...and that is

In libraries, do they put the bible in the fiction or non-fiction section?

Genuine question - I don't know the answer....
Genuine answer....in the non fiction section..
FlirtyKnickers is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.