Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I find this very disturbing.

I find this very disturbing.

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

Originally Posted by gryphea
HAven't seen it BUT reg Vardy man funds at least one school, something to to with emmanuel in sunderland and it does have creastionist leanings , in as much as it could in Britian. I think they do teach what is called intelligent design alongside creationism, (from what I have read).

Gryph
Maybe that's where they got the idea from to put the storyline in Waterloo Road....
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:05 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Reg Vardy was a car dealership in South London !
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
picky! I think we're talking about the On The Buses guy (Reg Varney) but on the subject of Reg Vardy I think you'll find he ain't just South London
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:11 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Esme
picky! I think we're talking about the On The Buses guy (Reg Varney) but on the subject of Reg Vardy I think you'll find he ain't just South London
oh now I am totally confused ! Mines a vauxhall!!
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 3:13 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Sir Peter Vardy, chief exec of Reg Vardy (a nationwide chain of car dealerships based in Sunderland) before it was sold, funds a number of City Academies, mainly in the North East of England. There was significant controversy a while ago because the head of science at one of them was on the board of a creationist/intelligent design organization. If memory serves, he subsequently resigned from the ID organization but remained in post at the school.

Some of the views on here are interesting. As a Christmas-and-Easter,-christenings-weddings-and-funerals Anglican I would consider myself reasonably well grounded in both Christian theology and scientific method. I have no truck with creationism - fundamentalist Bible-literalists are rather missing the bigger picture of Genesis (indeed the whole Pentateuch and much of the rest of the OT) as allegory rather than factual record. The evidence against the 6-day creation myth is overwhelming, and it makes more sense to me as just that: a myth that was a convenient way of explaining the world and our existence in it until empirically-gained knowledge came up with a better answer. As has been pointed out, all three Abrahamic religions share the same creation myth, but its literal interpretation seems to bother fundamentalist Christians much more than Jews or Muslims.

I don't mean to be insulting to Rete or Alvic, but it strikes me as indicative of a narrow world view that you cannot reconcile Darwinian evolution with the existence of God or your Christian faith. To me, the picture is not as black-and-white as either Dawkins' mob on one hand or creationism on the other would have us see it.

Here's a snippet that puts it better than I can:
Simon Barrow, co-director of the UK Christian think tank Ekklesia outlined his critique of intelligent design creationism, and pseudo-scientific explanations for the universe: "Creationism and ID are in no way comparable to scientific theories of origins and have no place in the modern science classroom. They also distort mature Christian understandings of the universe as coming into being through the whole world process, not through reversals or denials of that process. The roots of creationism, whether in its ‘hard’ form, or in attenuated ID ideas, lie not in science but in misinterpretations of the Bible. Claims that such notions can be justified from a ‘literal’ reading of Genesis are nonsensensical. This book has not one, but two ‘creation stories’. They differ widely in detail, are highly figurative, and were written to combat fatalistic Ancient Near East cosmogonies by stressing the underlying goodness of the world as a gift of God, not to comment on modern scientific matters" -- Ekklesia, 25 September 2006.
<lights blue touch-paper and retires>

Last edited by Oakvillian; Apr 2nd 2008 at 3:15 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

fozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant future

What is this all about???? how will these poor kids be able to function normal in society with thier heads filled with nonsense!!!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:46 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Christian think tank
What an absurd notion. It's like having a unicorn focus group.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:57 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
What an absurd notion. It's like having a unicorn focus group.
This one doesn't seem too bad, though* - his argument is well constructed, moderate and temperate, while still having the balls (unusually for the fence-sitting CofE) to use phraseology like "the roots of creationism ... lie in misrepresentations of the Bible" and "claims [that creationism is justified by reading Genesis literally] are nonsensical." He gets my vote.

Anyway, if you can't have unicorn focus groups, how do you forecast how well your brand message will go down in the mythological creature demographic?

*by "not too bad" I mean, of course, that its view coincides well with my own

Last edited by Oakvillian; Apr 4th 2008 at 9:00 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
This one doesn't seem too bad, though* - his argument is well constructed, moderate and temperate, while still having the balls (unusually for the fence-sitting CofE) to use phraseology like "the roots of creationism ... lie in misrepresentations of the Bible" and "claims [that creationism is justified by reading Genesis literally] are nonsensical." He gets my vote.
It's bollocks though. No-one was saying that the bible was supposed to be figurative until it was proved that it was wrong. In the absence of beardy himself putting in an appearance to say which bits are real and which aren't, who's to say how it's supposed to be interpreted? What else is real? How about heaven and hell, are they real places or are they just metaphors? Does he (or you) really believe in life after death?
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:21 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

It's bollocks though. No-one was saying that the bible was supposed to be figurative until it was proved that it was wrong. In the absence of beardy himself putting in an appearance to say which bits are real and which aren't, who's to say how it's supposed to be interpreted? What else is real? How about heaven and hell, are they real places or are they just metaphors? Does he (or you) really believe in life after death?

You can only have a hell to compliment a heaven, its the same with good and bad - how can you know one without having the other.

Therefore if people believe in heaven there has to be a hell to justify it and thats where the story begins.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Bazz my dear - it's called Faith.

I think it is a sad reflection on a so-called Christian country that the majority of British ex-pats on here are so offensive about the Christian Faith.

Britain truly was Great Britain and part of a great Commonwealth when her leaders ruled by the laws of the Bible and not mans PC crap that guides them today.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Smiths
50% of all americans don't believe in evolution!

What a bunch of brain washing XXXXXers!
i wonder if george (dubya) bush was home-schooled...? could explain the madness behind his methods if he was subjected to similar 'educational' outings...

(not that any amount of bad-schooling cou
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Smiths
50% of all americans don't believe in evolution!

What a bunch of brain washing XXXXXers!
i wonder if george (dubya) bush was home-schooled...? could explain the madness behind his methods if he was subjected to similar 'educational' outings...

(not that any amount of bad-schooling could excuse his actions - or ignorance - since he became president...).

anita
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by AlvicSK

I think it is a sad reflection on a so-called Christian country that the majority of British ex-pats on here are so offensive about the Christian Faith.

Britain truly was Great Britain and part of a great Commonwealth when her leaders ruled by the laws of the Bible and not mans PC crap that guides them today.
People are christian, not countries. That's the point of having freedom of religion (or from religion), you can choose what you want to be.

I have no idea what you're wittering on about with that stuff about the "laws of the Bible" and "PC crap". Don't forget that Tony Blair is a frothing theist just like Bush.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlvicSK

The laws of the Bible...... There are so many to choose from. Leviticus, thats my favourite selection.

People are christian, not countries. That's the point of having freedom of religion (or from religion), you can choose what you want to be.

well said

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.