Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How did your pet die?

How did your pet die?

Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How did your pet die?

Funny thread! I had tons of pets as a kid and a fair few of them met a sticky end...Bumpkin the guinea pig nibbled away at the paint on the utility room cupboards and poisoned himself...Sparky, the cat, had great fun playing with Snowy the mouse one evening, I went into the kitchen to find him flinging the poor little mouse around the kitchen floor in kind of an air hockey fashion...when I was 10 I had a few stick insects in a tank, it was a lovely sunny day so I thought I'd put the tank on the window sill for the day, needless to say they ended up frying to death as the tank reached 45 degrees!

Surprised I wasn't reported to the RSPCA!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

Ok i have to say that some of these tales are the funniest ever! its like those funniest videos programs....just hilarious! I have a few:

A friend used to like out in sask and had a wee plane, he starts up the plane, propellar on front is swinging round nice and fast and out comes the dog and jumps into the propella - chops the front of its face off and is running around like crazy - they had to shoot the dog to put it out of its misery, they werent spending the cash on a vet!

I once had a hamster Gizmo # 5, yes thats right, i couldnt keep those things alive. Anyway i thought #5 died so i buried him in a big yogurt tub in the garden.....talked to the pet store and he advised that the poor guy was likely hibernating cos our house was so cold, we had no heating and it was winter with ice on the insides of the windows......a few years later mum digs up the garden to put a patio in and dig out the tub that had....and i cant get over this.......scratch marks all inside. Poor thing was alive after all!

Thats all i have.....i love the dog one, i have a nice picture in my head of that!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

Oh i have one more.......my cat jumped from our 4th floor flat balcony. Stupid cat tried to catch a bird, i was down on the street and remember my mum shouting, me lookng up and cat was flying right for me......ended up only breaking his leg! Nine lives and all that
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of

OMG - I've been rolling about laughing here. this thread is just too funny. Shouldn't be, but really is.

Hmmm...

When I was little my dad cut the head of a budgie we had. I'm sure it was ill for him to do that; hope so anyway.

DD's hamster committed suicide. Thought it was a trapeze artist, was dangling off the top of the cage, fell, and broke it's back. Died on the way to the vet.

Cat brought mouse in to the house. Was still alive. OH away, but was sure he would say 'just step on it, and put it out of its misery'. Well, couldn't do it, so put my hand over its nose and mouse until it passed away in seconds.

DS had 6 stick insects. After a few weeks we saw there were only five, then four, then three, then number two only had one leg left. The flipping things were eating each other.

Last edited by TheCanes; Apr 16th 2008 at 7:46 am.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:41 am
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

wow , you have been busy .... got any pets now ?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:34 am
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

Ok was gonna tell you about the bird in the bread bin but then remembered the rat in the out house....at the time we had many rabbits and guinea pigs and the food had attracted a big Rat, my mum is terrified of rats! so this rat lurked around for a while, then one day mum tried to send the dog out for a wee and she wouldnt go out, not even in to the out house, on closer inspection by a very cautious mum there was said rat staking claim to our out house...at the time our only exit to the rear of the house...so mums screaming...the dogs cowering under the sideboard in the diningroom, us kids are leaping about in excitement and my dad comes in armed with a Mop!!! and enters the Out house shutting the door behind him...Through the door all you can here is my dad swearing about the useless bloody dog and then several thuds as he battered the rat with the mop handle, dad walks back into the house...mutters something about it being dead and handed my stunned mum the mop!

Word must have got round cos we never got rats again, but mum still had french windows put in...just in case
Old Apr 16th 2008, 11:49 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

he he he - shouldnt laugh - but Mandy moo - fantastic thread!!

My additions.

Got kids 2 guinea pigs when they were younger (Theo was prob 3 and evie 6) -

Was away on a girls weekend and hubby rings - whispering down the phone
she's killed one of the guinea pigs , she's rolled on it!!

apparently as it was nice and sunny lkids sitting on the decking with the GP's, had some sun lounger cushions out , one of GP's has run under it, daughter not seen, laid on cushion - hey presto m GP pancake!!

she has come in saying, look daddy its got a nose bleed!!

we told her it had to go to a special GP farm in the countrty as it had a nasty disese!!

may tell her the truth on her 18th or maybe in a wedding speech!!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 11:54 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

following on from GP1, GP 2 disappeared via mr Fox!! only found some fluff in garden.

so then got a rabbit - it was "kin hard that rabbit, but also a bit of a houdini. neighbour looked after rabbit whilst we were on hols and it escaped, so he went a brought us a new one with a baby gp to keep it company, guess what rabbitt no.1 reappeared!!

so come home, get scoobs from kennels, he immediatly goes out and brings baby Gp into house in his mouth, baby gp dies from shock!!

both rabbits lasted a while, hard rabit eventually lost his head to Mr fox, other one got some rabbitty disease and went to vets, cheeky mare put him on a drp for the night and THEN put him down the next day -£140 quid - could have just let him out to play with scoobs!!

I have more!!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 11:56 am
half a century

Hamsters!!
DAughter had only small mammal in the history of the Bell household that died of natural causes - old age - was v proud!!

SOns hamster escaped (regularly) and was often spotted in kitehc etc.. one morning came down stairs to find Gizmo in the sink, the sink was full of water, HAmsters cant swim!!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:00 pm
half a century

Got son replacement hamster, it escaped, thought dogs had eaten it due to commotion downstairs (turned out to be a rat), so went and got him a gerbil

Pl Note Gerbil is still alive and seems much hardier than a hamster!! and more intersteting!

However, MIL came to stay that day, went upstairs to sort out bed to see Hmaster running accross room - caught it!!

Escaped AGAIN, came downstairs to find scoob with it in his mouth - shoted at dog, dog dropped hamster, hamster ran and hid under sofa.

Searched and searched, no sign of hamster. LAter that night see it scurrying accross dining room, try to grab it, it bit me dropped it, right down back of steaming hot radiator!! shout at daughter to get a ruler to poke it out, she comes back with my triangular 3 d scale one - not gonna fit down back of rad! she then comes back with broken 6 inch rule, eventualy gets a full lenghth one, pops out hamster, am holding it, blowing on it - It bloody lived!"!

gave it to their cousins!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:03 pm
half a century

Finally, our cat was put to sleep - old age etc..

took her home, hubby buried her in garden - but obviously not deep enough.

Nest day me and scooby walk down garden and do a double take - why is gracie the cat sun bathing on the grass, didnt we bury her yesterday ??

Foxes had dug her up but got disturbed before they ate her - she went in the bin after that!

Thats all my pet tales!!

thank you and god afternoon !
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:05 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon

Nest day me and scooby walk down garden and do a double take - why is gracie the cat sun bathing on the grass, didnt we bury her yesterday ??

Foxes had dug her up but got disturbed before they ate her - she went in the bin after that!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:14 pm
half a century

should add that son was away when hamster drowned, so took it to a number of local pet shops saying "got one like this?"
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:17 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Our guinea pig was on his last legs gasping for air. My Mum decided that a little snifter of brandy would help it. It drank the brandy, took one last breath, seemed to sigh a happy sigh and died with a smile
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Finally, our cat was put to sleep - old age etc..

took her home, hubby buried her in garden - but obviously not deep enough.

Thats all my pet tales!!

thank you and god afternoon !
DD's rabbit died a few years ago. We'd taken her to the vet after finding her very pourly, but she had to be put down.

We decided to bury her in the garden, near the pond. Had a lovely burial; lots of tears. Came down the next morning to find a big hole where the dead rabbit had been, and lots of black fluffy fur. A fox seemed to have found 'Nibbles' (seems we didn't dig a deep enough hoel either). To this day my daughter doesn't know what happened. she is 20 now; this happened when she was 12.

Not sure if I'll ever tell her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.