Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The hard truth- I need friends

The hard truth- I need friends

Old Feb 17th 2017, 7:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The hard truth- I need friends

Originally Posted by Oink
All education whether secular to religious, seeks reproduce and conserve community values, outlooks and perspectives. I'm not sure I'd want to privilege one philosophy over another.
I would, but you know that.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I wouldn't say that insurance is cheap anywhere, to be honest! However, it would depend where in Hamilton you were, where your vehicle is kept (off road / on road / driveway / secure parking) etc.

As an example, my sons friend age 26 (on an IEC at the time) obtained insurance through TD (who took his driving experience and no claims into consideration). He was residing on Hamilton West Mountain, the vehicle was kept on a private driveway. His annual insurance was, I believe, in the region of $1800.

As an alternative, my sons ex girlfriend was paying more than double that, living in the downtown core; however, she had had 2 accidents and that may have also had an effect. I believe Piffs daughter is living around the East Hamilton/Stoney Creek border and the insurance was quite high, compared to Alberta. (but where isn't, lol)

If you are considering moving to Hamilton, it might be worth your while going to an insurance website and putting in different postal codes to see what the differences are.

That's not too bad. Not much over what we pay in BC (1,675) with the maximum claims free discount (43% I believe it is.)

I was curious so I used my old address in Port Hope, and got a quote for $1,187.00/year, which I was surprised, I was expecting a much higher quote.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
You don't have to be Catholic. Many of my daughter's friends are going, as it is perceived to be 'better' than the public schools. As a bad and neglectful parent I am sending my daughter to the public school. Fortunately her friends will have much time in their school day to pray for her.
Lol. Youngest is still at elementary. At secondary they take anybody. Amen
Old Feb 18th 2017, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That's not too bad. Not much over what we pay in BC (1,675) with the maximum claims free discount (43% I believe it is.)

I was curious so I used my old address in Port Hope, and got a quote for $1,187.00/year, which I was surprised, I was expecting a much higher quote.
We're currently paying $450/mth. One speeding ticket. 18 year old sons policy is $700 per month. If we moved up the road approx 4km it would be halved!!
Old Feb 18th 2017, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie87
Hey guys ,

I thought about this post a million times and couldn't bring myself to admit it, I need friends. Back home in Glasgow I had loads of friends , social events group text chats and I'm really missing it .

So here is my story, I'm a 30 year old gay Scottish lad with a Canadian husband , we lived together for 5 years back in Glasgow before moving to Ottawa , my status is PR. We recently bought a house in arnprior and I work for RBC in the valley . I have been back home twice and and my family come here regularly for holidays but the one thing I can't let go of is I just miss having British mates who know what it's like to grow in the U.K. And have similar interests .

This is a weird post because I'm basically saying "will you be my pal?"

But if anyone feels the same or is nearby and want to see if we hit it off then please reach out . I'm not your stereotypical gay man , guess I'm what you would call "straight acting" but I do love both male and female friends and have always got along with both regardless of sexual orientation.

Geordie \ =D /

I should also mention the reason for these feelings after 3 years , growing up there was a group of 6of us who were the closest friends, done everything together , went through the same life experiences together , started going bar hopping together when we could and generally just very close buddies, this year two died in seperate freak accidents which has caused m to feel further from home than I have ever in the past .
Totally understand what you're going through, they're just 'different' over here, different humour, different outlook on life ... I'm just a couple of junctions down the 417 from you, did my time in Edinburgh before moving here too many years ago. Happy to meet up! Send me a wee message if you're interested in grabbing a coffee/drink sometime.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Geordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

Thanks for the response , I've been here three years now , still fairly new . My job invokes a lot of community presence and volunteer work , I guess the real issue is that it's hard meeting people who I can relate too and have similar past experiences as myself

Originally Posted by Shirtback
- both of them.

Also a +1 to "step out of your comfort zone" (paraphrasing: The quote function went wonky).

How long have you lived in Canada/Arnprior? It sounds quite recent?

Some random thoughts:

- it will never be the quite the same as the friends you made as a child/teenager.

- don't restrict yourself to a particular age group when looking for/making new friends. I have made friends aged mid-twenties to mid-eighties, gay, straight, couples, singles, with and without children in Canada. Some are local, some are geographically distant.

- get yourself(ves) out there: go to community events, all of them, even if they sound naff/you're not interested in in whatever activity is the "vehicle" for the event.

- volunteer for a local cause, association etc & persist: I've found myself friends, good friends, with a couple of people who I would NEVER have met nor considered as possible friends if I hadn't pushed into volunteer work.

- join a local club/class for something/anything, even if you don't think it'll interest you! I joined a local line dancing class some years ago, despite 2 left feet & no interest whatsoever in line-dancing, just because I was going out of my mind with boredom and it was the only class that fit my schedule. The line-dancing didn't last long, the friendships have.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Geordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie87 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey buddy

Thanks for the kind words , the loss of the two friends came as a big big shock especially as none of us have hit 30 yet (in the first in April eek) but you know one positive that come out of it is that it's made me realize that tomorrow is never promised so I've done a couple of bucket list items since they died as now I know time is of the essence.

Your totally right on the looking back thing , you can never replace those who you have had that connection with but I need to wake up and realize that even if I was back home people drift apart and life gets in the way .

The main thing I'm looking for is a couple of buddies to meet up with once in a while or text who will get the little things about being an expat , or when something weird or very Canadian happens someone who will get it , you know ? Even my husband is Canadian born and spent most his life here so we don't have that same "wtf" moment when something unusual happens .

If your ever near arnprior hit me up and I'll buy you a beer hahaha

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Sorry for your loss mate.

I think the friends issue is what I'll struggle with, I've worked away before for long periods and it is very isolating to be away from your circle of friends. It can't be easy to makes friend's in the 30's either.

I think looking for like minded expats is a good idea though, I know if I was actually in Canada now and I seen a post like this from someone close by I'd definitely give it a shot.

I've picked up a few friends recently through things like running/walking groups and crossfit. Maybe something like that relational to your interest is a good place to try.

I think those long relationships you had in the UK with friends who you can joke about things that happened 20 years ago are never going to be replaced and while that's sad, it is a sacrifice of emigrating.

I have two friends in Sydney who felt the same as you for awhile, but in the space of a month they went from no friends to a huge group of friends now. I think a lot of it is in a positive attitude and putting yourself out there. Best of luck to you!

I think Oink's reply was more smash the glass and end it
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Hey!

Thanks for the info , especially the meet up group. Ottawa is 20 mins down the highway !!

One thing I do realize from my original post is I sound like I've become a loner which is not the case , I have a job that makes me fairly well known in the small community (RBC business advisor) and i go to lots of functions, staff bbqs , bonfires etc , I think they main thing I was getting at is that I miss the blighty sense of humour and sometimes want to laugh at Canadian things with someone who gets it , you know what I mean?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I hear you! It took me about 5 years or so to make some good friends; though they will never be quite the same as 'me old muckers' back in blighty I've made some lovely ones. It just takes 1 person that you get along with and you will soon meet others of similar ilk.

Would it be too far to go to Ottawa for a meet up once a month or so? Just to get you started? There's a fair few 'meet-up' groups there, including a Brit one.

I agree with Shirtback, you have to put yourself out there and be open to any invites to social occasions, even if they are not your cup of tea - you'll meet others who perhaps you'll connect with.

Best of luck - and if you find yourself needing some Brit humour etc., have a look around other forums on BE as well as the Maple Leaf, there's some good'uns.

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:56 am
Just Joined

I hear you! I'm totally going to check out the meet up group. If I see you there I'll get you a beer

Originally Posted by DYOUNG77
I'm moving to Green Valley, ON this year. I'd already looked up the meet up site that Siouxie mentioned and I'm planning on trying it out.
I don't mind the odd small scale social interaction with Canadians but when I'm in a large group of people they are usually all from the same area the conversation always goes to that common ground, you know, clubs they used to go to, tv shows they used to watch as kids, the shitty 80s rock bands that they all seem to love so much.. Where's the 'pretending to blow my brains out' emoji? I know damn well I'm the same with my friends I'd just like to be able to 'chat' and have a laugh with some British people for a change.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 3:02 am
Just Joined

Hey Millie

I think you have totally hit the nail on the head , I think I am hyper sensitive because I lost both the friends and it made me feel very disconnected , the 2nd one was only in December .

As for my partner he grew up in the Ottawa valley and we met whilst he was off doing his young Canadian travels around the uk (9 years ago) so when we moved back to Canada he was in his glory as he has been reconnecting with all his old friends , with whom I'm always made welcome but I am a big believer that couples should have individual friends also to allow for some down time .

Glad your making some like minded friends . I find the internet a great resource as it opens us up to a world of new friends . I studied politic in college and enjoy a good debate so always feel free to message me lol

Originally Posted by MillieF
Geordie....you might be the reason I move to Ottawa! I'm not thirty, but feel very much the same way...and I am afraid to admit it but some days move to an almost Oinkian point of view I have the dog, but sold the boat!

I've always regretted that I don't live nearer quite a number of posters on BE. I am (certainly feeling older since I've moved here) and am resigned, but you are very much in your 'prime'. I hate to say 'clubs' but what are your interests and passions? Might you find any friends that way? Most of my interests are political, so I have started trawling around council meetings, conferences on medical equity, town planning debates, anything anti Trump and I am meeting new people, who are more broadly like me...It sounds sad...it is! There are women's clubs on weaving and pottery, but they all like God's waiting room. Are you interested in sport?

How does your partner feel? Has he made more friends, or is he happy with what you have now? Are you feeling more sensitive because your friends have recently died?

Very best wishes and good luck