Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The hard truth- I need friends

The hard truth- I need friends

Old Feb 17th 2017, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The hard truth- I need friends

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I would imagine that in the last 25+ years things have changed somewhat. Lots of houses built since then. It's just one big suburban sprawl!

I don't know about the pub I'm down the other end.

No idea what the crossing guard reference is about.

One thing though is that downtown Brampton looks like it could have been the same for many years. I like it!
When I lived in Brampton literally every school crossing guard (aka lollipop man) was a retired sikh grandfather. It got them out of the house I think.

In the late 80's/early 90's the sprawl was going gangbusters in Brampton. Bramalea was mainly built up but the McMansions were being built on the east side of Bramalea near golf courses.

I don't think Brampton is in the running for a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
When I lived in Brampton literally every school crossing guard (aka lollipop man) was a retired sikh grandfather. It got them out of the house I think.

In the late 80's/early 90's the sprawl was going gangbusters in Brampton. Bramalea was mainly built up but the McMansions were being built on the east side of Bramalea near golf courses.

I don't think Brampton is in the running for a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Omg yes the mansions! I call them monstrosities! They're popping up everywhere. In fact we're renting a cute bungalow from a family who will be knocking it down next year and building one of those!

Sikh grandfathers just seem to wander the streets now or ride along on those scooters.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 9:52 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I don't like it. I don't like that my kid feels excluded because he doesn't speak Punjabi and I don't like that he is literally one of only 5 white kids in the school. I worried that all this made me racist and struggled with the concept but my 18 year old was very insightful and said that rather than racism it was a cultural thing. I can live with that.

If he had grown up in Brampton and always been a visible minority I think he could have dealt with it. But having been in regular schools until September he's struggling. So we'll probably be on the move again soon.

The benefits to leaving Brampton will be numerous. We're paying one of (if not the) highest insurance premiums in the country.
Did you not know what Brampton was like when you moved there? Or did you have to move there. I wouldn't say your feelings are racist at all, it is just cultural preferences.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Mark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond repute

Internet is awesome, Although I tried to find spiritual partner/lover/wife in the dating website more than a year ago then all of them were not matching, some of them became nice friends for a while, so I understand what you are going through, also long time ago I wished to have cool friends so I approached them then did not find good outcomes, now I don't seek to have friends or certain type of people to be around me, I wish but I don't act, I don't care that much, I welcome, I react properly and I think since then life goes better, you don't care about people, you will find some great people care about you, whatever who are those people, women, friends, opportunities, life in general (sometimes the law of attraction works but sometimes it is disappointing, sometimes the law of renunciation works better than the law of desire, life is weird lol)

Cheers
Old Feb 17th 2017, 11:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark callaway
Internet is awesome, Although I tried to find spiritual partner/lover/wife in the dating website more than a year ago then all of them were not matching, some of them became nice friends for a while, so I understand what you are going through, also long time ago I wished to have cool friends so I approached them then did not find good outcomes, now I don't seek to have friends or certain type of people to be around me, I wish but I don't act, I don't care that much, I welcome, I react properly and I think since then life goes better, you don't care about people, you will find some great people care about you, whatever who are those people, women, friends, opportunities, life in general (sometimes the law of attraction works but sometimes it is disappointing, sometimes the law of renunciation works better than the law of desire, life is weird lol)

Cheers

Footage of the remarks given by Egyptian President Sadat during the Peace Signing Ceremony held on the front lawn of the White House.

Why?
Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Did you not know what Brampton was like when you moved there? Or did you have to move there. I wouldn't say your feelings are racist at all, it is just cultural preferences.
We kind of knew. But didn't think it would be like this. We drove around the neighbourhood where sons school is and we saw a variety of people. Obviously only the Indian families go to his school. The rest must go to the catholic school which he can't go to because he's not catholic.
At the time I was working north of the city. When I switched jobs I ended up working for two Punjabi realtors. They kept speaking Punjabi in front of me! So I addressed them in French once. They gave me a dirty look!

We never expected insurance to be so high though. It's like having a mortgage! So when we move again, this time to a house we will buy, we will be seriously checking premiums there first! Siouxie is insurance cheap in Hamilton?
Old Feb 17th 2017, 5:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

We kind of knew. But didn't think it would be like this. We drove around the neighbourhood where sons school is and we saw a variety of people. Obviously only the Indian families go to his school. The rest must go to the catholic school which he can't go to because he's not catholic.
At the time I was working north of the city. When I switched jobs I ended up working for two Punjabi realtors. They kept speaking Punjabi in front of me! So I addressed them in French once. They gave me a dirty look!

We never expected insurance to be so high though. It's like having a mortgage! So when we move again, this time to a house we will buy, we will be seriously checking premiums there first! Siouxie is insurance cheap in Hamilton?
I wouldn't say that insurance is cheap anywhere, to be honest! However, it would depend where in Hamilton you were, where your vehicle is kept (off road / on road / driveway / secure parking) etc.

As an example, my sons friend age 26 (on an IEC at the time) obtained insurance through TD (who took his driving experience and no claims into consideration). He was residing on Hamilton West Mountain, the vehicle was kept on a private driveway. His annual insurance was, I believe, in the region of $1800.

As an alternative, my sons ex girlfriend was paying more than double that, living in the downtown core; however, she had had 2 accidents and that may have also had an effect. I believe Piffs daughter is living around the East Hamilton/Stoney Creek border and the insurance was quite high, compared to Alberta. (but where isn't, lol)

If you are considering moving to Hamilton, it might be worth your while going to an insurance website and putting in different postal codes to see what the differences are.

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 17th 2017 at 5:20 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Mark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Footage of the remarks given by Egyptian President Sadat during the Peace Signing Ceremony held on the front lawn of the White House.

Why?
Because He is most intelligent president ever came, He evicted Russians from the country, He ended communism from his previous president, he made peace with the west after wars and his economic reforms were amazing but unfortunately he was killed by Islamic terrorists but the civilization will triumph at the end.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 5:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark callaway
Because He is most intelligent president ever came, He evicted Russians from the country, He ended communism from his previous president, he made peace with the west after wars and his economic reforms were amazing but unfortunately he was killed by Islamic terrorists but the civilization will triumph at the end.
Thank you, I'm glad I asked.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Thank you, I'm glad I asked.
You are welcome always
Old Feb 17th 2017, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

The rest must go to the catholic school which he can't go to because he's not catholic.
You don't have to be Catholic. Many of my daughter's friends are going, as it is perceived to be 'better' than the public schools. As a bad and neglectful parent I am sending my daughter to the public school. Fortunately her friends will have much time in their school day to pray for her.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 6:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
You don't have to be Catholic. Many of my daughter's friends are going, as it is perceived to be 'better' than the public schools. As a bad and neglectful parent I am sending my daughter to the public school. Fortunately her friends will have much time in their school day to pray for her.
At least you are not teaching your your daughter hypocrisy. Faith schools have no place in modern society.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 6:43 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

At least you are not teaching your your daughter hypocrisy. Faith schools have no place in modern society.
Why not?
Old Feb 17th 2017, 6:44 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Oink
Why not?
They perpetuate religion and division.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 6:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

They perpetuate religion and division.
All education whether secular to religious, seeks reproduce and conserve community values, outlooks and perspectives. I'm not sure I'd want to privilege one philosophy over another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.