Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Had it with this place - do not move here

Had it with this place - do not move here

Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold
Default Had it with this place - do not move here

Move to Canada has been the worst mistake of our lives. It is quickly driving us insane.

I always thought I wouldn't get suckered into the rose tinted specs syndrome. But since moving to Canada my life has been ruined. My career has practically ended. My marriage went the same way. One of my kids is in mental health counseling and the other probably will be.

To put things into perspective, I had a really really good life in Britain before moving out here. I was really happy but liked what I reasearched about Canada. Unfortunately there is simply not enough people like me sharing their experiences here. Many many try but they are crushed like ants by know-it-alls who have NOTHING good to say about their country and seem to have practically denounced their heritage in favour of another.

I used to feel a little apprehensive about moving back because Britain seemed like an unknown. But with the bullshit I've gone through in this country and most of it is down to the country, the people and it's ridiculous pettiness, its stepford wives like people and attitude, its pathetic salaries and gigantic cost of living, Britain simply does not compare. I've completely exhausted all reasons to stay.

I post this is in part to vent publicly but mostly because I wish I'd read a post like this prior to moving out. I'm not going to publicly discuss my reasons but if you are considering moving then you might want to PM me.

I believe Canada is a terrible place to bring up kids. It's a country of people who escape responsibility. A country where they think they have a better education system by letting kids stay at home half their childhood. A country where customer service and good business practice simply do not exist.

This is a poor country whose only liberation is that it's so far behind every other country it plays poor relation to, that it manages to keep its head above water by playing catch up. It's no coincidence that all successful Canadians seem to have moved away. It's a country of "I'll just wait" attitude. Or "What's the USA doing, we'll copy them".

I'm moving back before this place finally finishes me off. I unfortunately have almost no happy memories here. And unlike many my move here was after 5 years of careful research and planning, not running away from bailiffs or a debt like some people. PM me with any questions. Otherwise good luck because you're going to bloody well need it.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:54 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had it with this place - do not move here

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
Move to Canada has been the worst mistake of our lives. It is quickly driving us insane.

I always thought I wouldn't get suckered into the rose tinted specs syndrome. But since moving to Canada my life has been ruined. My career has practically ended. My marriage went the same way. One of my kids is in mental health counseling and the other probably will be.

To put things into perspective, I had a really really good life in Britain before moving out here. I was really happy but liked what I reasearched about Canada. Unfortunately there is simply not enough people like me sharing their experiences here. Many many try but they are crushed like ants by know-it-alls who have NOTHING good to say about their country and seem to have practically denounced their heritage in favour of another.

I used to feel a little apprehensive about moving back because Britain seemed like an unknown. But with the bullshit I've gone through in this country and most of it is down to the country, the people and it's ridiculous pettiness, its stepford wives like people and attitude, its pathetic salaries and gigantic cost of living, Britain simply does not compare. I've completely exhausted all reasons to stay.

I post this is in part to vent publicly but mostly because I wish I'd read a post like this prior to moving out. I'm not going to publicly discuss my reasons but if you are considering moving then you might want to PM me.

I believe Canada is a terrible place to bring up kids. It's a country of people who escape responsibility. A country where they think they have a better education system by letting kids stay at home half their childhood. A country where customer service and good business practice simply do not exist.

This is a poor country whose only liberation is that it's so far behind every other country it plays poor relation to, that it manages to keep its head above water by playing catch up. It's no coincidence that all successful Canadians seem to have moved away. It's a country of "I'll just wait" attitude. Or "What's the USA doing, we'll copy them".

I'm moving back before this place finally finishes me off. I unfortunately have almost no happy memories here. And unlike many my move here was after 5 years of careful research and planning, not running away from bailiffs or a debt like some people. PM me with any questions. Otherwise good luck because you're going to bloody well need it.
Ever thought it might not be Canada? Easier to blame something or someone else I guess.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:08 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Bear in mind that these are your experiences and yours alone and I don't see that you are offering anything of value to anyone moving here. Not all of us have ,denounced our heritage as you put it, some have moved due to family reasons (I married a canadian I met in the US and moved here sight unseen).

I've seen some drivel on here, but this post takes the biscuit!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:14 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Bear in mind that these are your experiences and yours alone and I don't see that you are offering anything of value to anyone moving here. Not all of us have ,denounced our heritage as you put it, some have moved due to family reasons (I married a canadian I met in the US and moved here sight unseen).

I've seen some drivel on here, but this post takes the biscuit!
Rich Tea? Chocolate (in)Digestive? Hob(K)nob?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:20 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Rich Tea? Chocolate (in)Digestive? Hob(K)nob?
penguin
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:20 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
penguin
Git........................

I want one now

Last edited by Butch Cassidy; Dec 17th 2009 at 2:21 am. Reason: ok I was bit too potty mouthed
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:22 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking back over some of your older posts kind of gives the reason why you are upset at "canada" -- But canada is a big place, not everyone settles in the area that they land for whatever reason.
To blame canada for the ups and downs is not right, stuff happens in whatever country you live in.
I too have had a bad year, so has a few others that i speak to, but you know what, it would of still happened if i'd of lived in the uk, ok it would of been easier to deal with, but stuff happens.................

There is plenty of threads on reasons why people leave and move back to the uk, there is a forum for it on here, if you never read it as part of your research then you was being blinded.
I wish you luck in your return back to the uk, i hope that you find what you are looking for.........................But please dont blame the country
LB
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Most of these responses are simply abuse/bullying. Just because these may be my experiences, doesn't mean nobody else can have them. I'm rightfully sharing my abysmal experience in Canada for those open minded enough to read. if you don't like what you read then either take note or sod off. It's your funeral.

But unfortunately the reason I write this is simply there's not enough people like me speaking my mind on these forums, but plenty of people like some of you who make personal attacks on anyone who doesn't share your view, and compete like children to be smart asses with your remarks. And you probably fit in really well in Canada because Canada is exactly like this.

It's pretty easy for me to blame the country as it's directly caused me and my family misery and hardship. My marriage falling apart was a direct consequence of this. If I could get on a flight tonight I wouldn't be sitting her writing this. But soon, very very soon.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:25 am
Banned

Most of these responses are simply abuse/bullying. Just because these may be my experiences, doesn't mean nobody else can have them. I'm rightfully sharing my abysmal experience in Canada for those open minded enough to read. if you don't like what you read then either take note or sod off. It's your funeral.

But unfortunately the reason I write this is simply there's not enough people like me speaking my mind on these forums, but plenty of people like some of you who make personal attacks on anyone who doesn't share your view, and compete like children to be smart asses with your remarks. And you probably fit in really well in Canada because Canada is exactly like this.

It's pretty easy for me to blame the country as it's directly caused me and my family misery and hardship. My marriage falling apart was a direct consequence of this. If I could get on a flight tonight I wouldn't be sitting her writing this. But soon, very very soon.
Personally I see no abuse, bullying or personal attacks. I do however agree that I dont share your views.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. The country decided to centre you out in particular to abuse. I am 100% positive that the country invited you personally to come - no wait, Canada forced you to leave your oh so perfect home in UK.

I remember when my first husband and I were going through our divorce the rabbi saying something along the lines of "it's easier to blame others for mistakes than to look in the mirror where the blame begins". Perhaps your marriage was not as solid as you thought if emigrating broke it up.

And please, don't blame 30 million people for your choices. Not all Canadians are like you describe. Some of us are actually very nice people. (Not me, mind. I'm a miserable Stepford wife)
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

But you aren't saying anything that is of any use to someone thinking "shall I/shan't I" about coming out here, because you don't give any reasons for your unhappiness - you don't even say where you are living. I think that you are venting really, and that's fine, but this probably isn't the place for it. When I was thinking about coming over here I read some of the returning to the UK threads, where people are quite vocal about their reasons, what worked out and what didn't, the stresses and strains etc. I think that you would get plenty of support there.

Immigrating is very stressful, and I think that people don't really take that in - it's difficult to understand until you have experienced it.

Personally I really enjoy living here in BC, and have found people to be friendly and generous. My children after settling are enjoying life here too. I've had times of homesickness of course, and I wish my family wasn't so far away, but there we are, that I did know in advance.

My family had a tough time back in the UK, and my husband felt that that was because of London, but once things had improved he said looking back that it wasn't really about London, but about us as a family and our dynamics.

Old Dec 17th 2009, 4:09 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Personally I see no abuse, bullying or personal attacks. I do however agree that I dont share your views.
you don't see any? really - I see a bit in the above. There was a point when this forum was overly negative, but now-a-days anything even remotely negative gets pounced on and denounced as tiresome or wrong. I actually think some posters seek out negative posts just to stick the boot in.

Mr critic hasn't given any details about his situation, but we can all jump to the conclusion that it's entirely his fault his life in Canana isn't working out the way he thought, or that it's his fault his marriage is in the crapper. Yeah, nice bunch of people you lot. No wonder he's pissed off.

Last edited by Alan2005; Dec 17th 2009 at 4:16 am.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 4:16 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Quite frankly I think there's a lot of merit in this post and we all generalize and personalize a tad and so what. And, it shows courage to admit it was a failure for him and his family and move back.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 4:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Quite frankly I think there's a lot of merit in this post and we all generalize and personalize a tad and so what. And, it shows courage to admit it was a failure for him and his family and move back.
I agree with you it is very hard to admit failure. Although the first few years after we moved I blamed everything on the US. If the sun didn't shine...if I had a headache...if I couldn't find anything to wear...blah blah blah...it wasn't my fault so it must be the fault of my new country. 13 years later I can see it was my inflexibility to adapt to my new life/surroundings.

Some people are just made that way...we can't or we find it extremely hard to put things behind us and adapt. In my case it was my past life in the UK...family...friends etc.

Canadian_critic...you took a huge risk moving to Canada but at least you tried it...good for you. I hope everything works out for you and your family when you move back home. Sometimes it takes a move from the UK to appreciate what we had.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 17th 2009 at 4:36 am.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Ever thought it might not be Canada? Easier to blame something or someone else I guess.
But then again ever thought it might be? Certain events most likely would have not come to fruitation but for the fact that a move to Canada was under taken. Indeed Canada could be symbolic as similar outcomes may have resulted if the country in question was Australia or New Zealand or United States. But Canada is the location of the respondent and reading this account it sounds to have been a mighty difficult time. Canada has not worked for this person but perhaps a little extreme to tell others to avoid coming. Canada for certain does it for some folk for sure...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.