Groceries

Old Nov 2nd 2023, 6:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Yep the Optimum points are great, we cashed them in at Shoppers Drug Mart for a wireless Nintendo Switch Controller and a game. Shoppers has the best choice for that stuff, I've heard of people using points to buy game consoles from there.
My MIL used hers for a laptop there a good few years ago.

I've always said Shoppers is underrated. It looks expensive if you buy randomly but many of their offers are as good as anywhere.

But I do it the other way. I have to pay for diabetic test strips and buying when there are bonus points (which seems to be most of the time) I can get about $30 worth of points for my $85 which then gets me about $40 worth of groceries at the supermarket.
Old Nov 3rd 2023, 2:14 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
My MIL used hers for a laptop there a good few years ago.

I've always said Shoppers is underrated. It looks expensive if you buy randomly but many of their offers are as good as anywhere.

But I do it the other way. I have to pay for diabetic test strips and buying when there are bonus points (which seems to be most of the time) I can get about $30 worth of points for my $85 which then gets me about $40 worth of groceries at the supermarket.
we do the same with Wellwise (the home healthcare bit of Shoppers) - regular supplies for daughter that we could probably find cheaper online if we looked hard enough, but the points tip the balance... if we time it right and put in an order on a "20x the points" promotion day we end up with a bucketload of Optimum points that are then used for a bit of a splurge at the grocery store for when we have houseguests - typically at the deli and butchery counters, for some proper cheese or a decent hunk of beef. Or to help to fill the table for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals, where we're typically feeding about a dozen people with FIL, BIL and family (and, these days, as orten as not an added girlfriend or boyfriend attached to the older youngsters...). Points are definitely the added bonus that keeps us "loyal" to the Shoppers/PC brand.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure we got a WiiU game console for points at Shoppers a few years back, too - or if not totally on points, then for a ridiculously low price by cashing in points towards it.
Old Nov 3rd 2023, 7:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
we do the same with Wellwise (the home healthcare bit of Shoppers) - regular supplies for daughter that we could probably find cheaper online if we looked hard enough, but the points tip the balance... if we time it right and put in an order on a "20x the points" promotion day we end up with a bucketload of Optimum points that are then used for a bit of a splurge at the grocery store for when we have houseguests - typically at the deli and butchery counters, for some proper cheese or a decent hunk of beef. Or to help to fill the table for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals, where we're typically feeding about a dozen people with FIL, BIL and family (and, these days, as orten as not an added girlfriend or boyfriend attached to the older youngsters...). Points are definitely the added bonus that keeps us "loyal" to the Shoppers/PC brand.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure we got a WiiU game console for points at Shoppers a few years back, too - or if not totally on points, then for a ridiculously low price by cashing in points towards it.

It will surprise no one that I'm completely slapdash about points collection, I just wave the card when I'm doing the ordinary shopping but don't target particular goods or days. Nonetheless, there's always enough points to pay for the Christmas grocery shop.
Old Nov 4th 2023, 12:28 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It will surprise no one that I'm completely slapdash about points collection, I just wave the card when I'm doing the ordinary shopping but don't target particular goods or days. Nonetheless, there's always enough points to pay for the Christmas grocery shop.
Well that's better than nothing but it doesn't take much, for example, to notice that President's Choice burgers are $15 for a pack of 8 - which is pretty good value for the quality anyway - if you buy more than one pack (otherwise $17) but that this week they have 5000 points (worth $5) per pack.
If burgers are something you'd normally buy but you don't need any quite yet, why not buy a couple of packs anyway (subject to affording it right now) for $30 and get the points - effectively costing you $20 instead of paying $34 later?

Or coffee pods, the 72 size, typically about $38 but there are plenty of times when there's about $8 in points and $7 off too. Why would you want to spend $38 when you can do it for $23.

There are half a dozen things that will regularly give that sort of deal. Think of the extra money you have for the liquor store.
Old Nov 4th 2023, 11:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's better than nothing but it doesn't take much, for example, to notice that President's Choice burgers are $15 for a pack of 8 - which is pretty good value for the quality anyway - if you buy more than one pack (otherwise $17) but that this week they have 5000 points (worth $5) per pack.
If burgers are something you'd normally buy but you don't need any quite yet, why not buy a couple of packs anyway (subject to affording it right now) for $30 and get the points - effectively costing you $20 instead of paying $34 later?

Or coffee pods, the 72 size, typically about $38 but there are plenty of times when there's about $8 in points and $7 off too. Why would you want to spend $38 when you can do it for $23.

There are half a dozen things that will regularly give that sort of deal. Think of the extra money you have for the liquor store.
If I care about the price of something, I buy it at Costco. If I'm in Loblaws it's because it's convenient. It's no longer convenient if one looks at the prices and points instead of just whizzing down the aisle.
Old Nov 4th 2023, 12:08 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by dbd33
If I care about the price of something, I buy it at Costco. If I'm in Loblaws it's because it's convenient. It's no longer convenient if one looks at the prices and points instead of just whizzing down the aisle.
I know what you mean about spending less time in the supermarket but it takes about 2 minutes to look at a flyer and if something catches your eye - like something half its usual price should do - you can go directly to it in the supermarket without even 'whizzing' down the aisle unnecessarily.

I remain bemused by this idea that Costco is cheaper. Maybe it's just a "here" issue but it's absolutely not cheaper for groceries.
Old Nov 10th 2023, 3:30 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I remain bemused by this idea that Costco is cheaper. Maybe it's just a "here" issue but it's absolutely not cheaper for groceries.
Cheaper on some stuff here, notably milk, butter ($5.49 costco, $8.49 for same brand at loblaws) and some fruit and veg. Often though one has to buy an enormous bag or box of something fresh for around the same price as a single or smaller bag of fruit/veggies at Loblaw/Sobeys in the knowledge that unless you plan to eat brocolli every night for a week, you will inevitably throw some of it out. Other things - meat, dry goods, can be cheaper but it pays to check unless you are looking for the convenience of the big shop.

Since they moved Costco to a 10 minute drive away as opposed to a 25 minute drive away we go more often - once a week. We also buy gas there as its 5-6 cents cheaper than elsewhere. That's generally worth having if the queue isn't too large!
Old Nov 11th 2023, 6:30 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

The petrol at Costco is an even better deal if you run on premium, as the price delta at Costco is about half of Mobil/ Shell. These days with WFH I don't find myself bothering to queue anymore.

Anyhow I signed it specifically to grumble (obviously)!

This is some next level bullcrap:

Soup designed in Canada? That's suspect enough on a ski jacket but here, blegh.

Anyhow Hi everyone! 👋
Old Mar 21st 2024, 3:23 pm
Oscar nominated

I've stopped paying much attention to Wholesale Club (part of Superstore/Loblaws) but happened to notice "Commercial Grade" Whole Rib Eye on offer for $9.99/lb (Optimum member price $6.99/lb).
I don't know why they started labelling whole tenderloin as whole rib eye but who cares.

I've often wondered about this commercial grade thing. Googling suggests it's used for ground beef or burgers, stuff like that.
It seems to me that if you were going to use cheaper cuts of meat in that way why not just buy the stuff that's cheaper anyway - like the various 'rounds' and cross ribs that are around $5/lb anyway, especially if there was then commercial grade inside round.

Anyway, the last time I bought a whole one was reduced to $11/lb and that was nearly five years ago, so the $10 seemed pretty good, especially as it's $7/lb for me so I took a chance.

The one that was delivered was even bigger than expected. A 16 pounder for $160 but $112 for me.
It's now been cut up into batches of four steaks and three lumps for non steak use like Stroganoff, curry, whatever.

Except for the size it looks like the others we've had so I'm not expecting to be that disappointed. We'll find out tonight.

We had some ungraded Mexican Prime Rib a few weeks ago which was every bit as good as AA/AAA.
Old Mar 21st 2024, 9:06 pm
Oscar nominated

So...the steak was every bit as good taste wise but it was definitely a little chewier than other tenderloin/rib eye we've had.

I shall try the tenderising hammer for the next ones to see what that does.
Old Apr 3rd 2024, 3:56 pm
Oscar nominated

I don't think I ever bought a sausage roll in Greggs - the steak bake was more my 'go to' - but I reckon the ones from Atlantic Superstore (Loblaws too presumably) must be pretty damn close.

Packet of three, $7 from the prepared meals area
Old Apr 3rd 2024, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Hell no.

Those things at Superstore are awful. Every sausage roll I've tried in Canada appears to have been made by someone who has never eaten a sausage roll.....
Old Apr 3rd 2024, 6:15 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by withabix
Hell no.

Those things at Superstore are awful. Every sausage roll I've tried in Canada appears to have been made by someone who has never eaten a sausage roll.....
I didn't know you had Atlantic Superstore out your way

The pork pies don't work. They rattle
Old Apr 3rd 2024, 6:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know you had Atlantic Superstore out your way

The pork pies don't work. They rattle
Not enough cushioning (jelly)?
Old Apr 3rd 2024, 8:24 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Not enough cushioning (jelly)?
No jelly at all. But I felt there was more (missing) to it than just that.

Perhaps they could have glued the filling to the bottom and sides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.