Groceries

Old Aug 20th 2022, 7:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Nice that Superstore is now doing its own delivery. The prices are the store/flyer prices (unlike with Instacart - sample chicken at superstore this week $5.05/kg, via Instacart $9.90/kg) and the delivery is $9.95. No tip needed or even allowed.

That fee is about half what I pay to get there and back by taxi. But you don't seem to be able to accumulate the points in the same way or even use points to pay. But that's okay, it gives me a nice balance of going and leaving it to someone else other times.
Old Sep 28th 2022, 9:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

A good week for Leg of Lamb. From Thursday.
$5.66/lb at Walmart
$5.99/lb at Sobeys where you can also buy a Pork Loin Crown for $4.99/lb.
Old Oct 4th 2022, 12:35 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

The manager where I work was putting the produce order in today. She quite often tells me the price increases.

Todays shocker was a box of romaine (24) which has already seen a few increases went from $36 last week to $54 this week.

So if you see a price increase at your local favourite eatery, this is what's happening.
Old Oct 5th 2022, 5:55 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

As it's getting close to Halloween, have anybody noticed if the supermarkets are selling the monster cereals like Count Chocula, Franken Berry, and Boo Berry?
Old Oct 5th 2022, 9:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Oink
As it's getting close to Halloween, have anybody noticed if the supermarkets are selling the monster cereals like Count Chocula, Franken Berry, and Boo Berry?
Hope all is well MrOink.
Old Jan 18th 2023, 5:24 pm
Oscar nominated

It's still possible to get some great deals.

Instacart seems to have cancelled Walmart's flyer prices and very often Giant Tiger flyer prices but not this week.

I just bought 6 big boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $12 when Walmart has them 3 for $10 or packs of 7 for $21.
Mushrooms/onions/carrots half the usual cost. Individual Beef/Chicken pies for 88c each. Wong Wing products just over half their usual price and many other things I just didn't need now or even soon.
Old Jan 21st 2023, 7:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's still possible to get some great deals.

Deals this week:
I bought mango coconut milk ice cream for 50 cents a pint. Went back to get some more and the bastards had cleaned out the store.

I also got a 1 kg bag of dry chickpeas for $4.38 that should keep me in hummus for the next year.

Admittedly not available to everyone, I given a whole freshly caught 8 lbs salmon on Thursday so that's a few diners sorted.
No

Last edited by Oink; Jan 21st 2023 at 7:22 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 3:35 pm
Oscar nominated

I've cancelled Instacart.

Overall I was happy with the service. Paying the monthly subscription was worth it for the reduced individual delivery fees but they no longer do flyer prices at Walmart (that was another advantage in that I didn't have to go there). I have been increasingly using Superstore for delivery. They do flyer prices and the delivery/tip is still cheaper than my return taxi fare.

But Superstore is now offering a subscription based service with no delivery fee and the monthly rate is the same as the regular delivery fee. A weekly shop will be like getting three free deliveries for every one I pay for.

And it's even less paying annually. They'll even give me $50 worth of points for signing up.

It's like they are giving money away.
Old Apr 26th 2023, 2:21 pm
Oscar nominated

This sort of stuff has been available for many years but this is the first time I've seen Walmart advertising it like this.

With the exception of Robinsons. I've not noticed that before. The bottle doesn't say so but it does appear to be SQUASH

Old Apr 26th 2023, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

And what is the betting that not all Walmart stores will have this stuff available and seeing there are 8 stores where I live I highly doubt I will be visiting each one to see if they have that stuff in and knowing my luck it will be 1 or none.
Old May 2nd 2023, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

I was back in the UK recently and noticed how cheap groceries are compared to Ontario.
Stuff like fruit and veg, tinned goods, cosmetics, take away food, snacks, dining out - all way cheaper at the moment.
Visited quite a few pubs and had the daily deals for food and drinks, it was hard to spend twenty five quid for a couple at lunchtime.
In London, went for a curry, starters and mains, beers and then a bottle of wine - 125 quid for a group of four.
We are being robbed over here.
Old May 4th 2023, 4:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMajor
I was back in the UK recently and noticed how cheap groceries are compared to Ontario.
Stuff like fruit and veg, tinned goods, cosmetics, take away food, snacks, dining out - all way cheaper at the moment.
Visited quite a few pubs and had the daily deals for food and drinks, it was hard to spend twenty five quid for a couple at lunchtime.
In London, went for a curry, starters and mains, beers and then a bottle of wine - 125 quid for a group of four.
We are being robbed over here.
$210 for four? That's cheap?
We left Ontario for the UK in the new year and thought food etc was cheaper when we arrived but when your income in in £ and not $., Hence less, it doesn't seem so cheap. Veggie etc are ok but meat is pricey I think and we rarely eat out.
Old May 5th 2023, 6:17 pm
Oscar nominated

I've cancelled Instacart.
And then reinstated it.

I realised that I only need to order from Giant Tiger twice a month and the lower fees from subscribing save more than the subscription cost. So long as Instacart operates GT flyer pricing it's well worth it.

GT has always been a great source for "pantry" and frozen stuff but now that fresh fruit, veg and meat has been added it's pretty good all round.

Interestingly Walmart.ca has now made groceries available for delivery in our area and flyer prices too.
Old Oct 31st 2023, 7:08 pm
Oscar nominated

Not only is Superstore giving Optimum points with on line shopping, they've now introduced the ability to use the points in the on line order which is great.

Almost every week they have a "flash sale" for the last two days of the flyer week and it's often enough to tip the balance in making an order.

They do these great frozen seafood lasagnes (2 big portions, 3 if padded out with something) a bit steep @ $13 but Optimum member price is $5 less. Bonus points also on offer for "in-store" pizzas and also chicken wings that also have a reduced member price.

I put a quick same day order in for $97 for store prices. My receipt shows $77 member price and $15 worth of points.

That's like a $62 spend for $97 worth of food.
Old Nov 2nd 2023, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Not only is Superstore giving Optimum points with on line shopping, they've now introduced the ability to use the points in the on line order which is great.

Almost every week they have a "flash sale" for the last two days of the flyer week and it's often enough to tip the balance in making an order.

They do these great frozen seafood lasagnes (2 big portions, 3 if padded out with something) a bit steep @ $13 but Optimum member price is $5 less. Bonus points also on offer for "in-store" pizzas and also chicken wings that also have a reduced member price.

I put a quick same day order in for $97 for store prices. My receipt shows $77 member price and $15 worth of points.

That's like a $62 spend for $97 worth of food.
Yep the Optimum points are great, we cashed them in at Shoppers Drug Mart for a wireless Nintendo Switch Controller and a game. Shoppers has the best choice for that stuff, I've heard of people using points to buy game consoles from there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.