Groceries

Old Mar 1st 2022, 10:27 pm
  #2611  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,982
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Rednecks in Peterborough.... when did that happen .

With one of the most upmarket watering holes now closed I"m surprised there are any rednecks left in Peterborough.

https://pigseardoc.ca/
PIgs Ear was more studenty/ musos than redneck. Peterborough has many rednecks still. Convoy driving, anti masking, confederate flag waving.
bats is offline  
Old Mar 1st 2022, 10:46 pm
  #2612  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,982
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I moved back to Peterborough just before Christmas after 3 years in the GTA. I went into that Independent last week, and that is the most well stocked place I have seen in a while.

No this place is not part of the Farmboy franchise...its the place on Lansdowne. It does seem to be a magnet for red necks, but they have usually got a nose for a bargain. The meat sold there is very good value for money and always very fresh. People have sometimes asked where I have bought the steaks that I have served at a dinner party....and they always looked shocked when I say Farmboy....lol a classic case of not judging a book by its cover I think.
I used to shop there when we lived in the city and had little income, its been trarted up since then. I no longer eat beef or pork and have chicken only occasionally. We used to get beef from a local farmer, it's grass fed, finished. She charges us the same rate per pound regardless of the cut but it's way more than $4 a pound, double I think. I've heard Otanabee Meat Packers is good.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I would suggest that you try to find a local slaughterhouse and buy all your meat from there.

We pay $4 per lb for all of our beef and it doesn't matter whether we are buying mince or the best cuts of meat. Now, you may have to agree to buy half an animal in one go to get such a deal but, if you have a freezer, it doesn't really take up that much space and you will receive lots of cuts that can make no end of roasts/stews in the winter.
bats is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 11:21 am
  #2613  
BE Forum Addict
 
Paul_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,113
Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I would suggest that you try to find a local slaughterhouse and buy all your meat from there.

We pay $4 per lb for all of our beef and it doesn't matter whether we are buying mince or the best cuts of meat. Now, you may have to agree to buy half an animal in one go to get such a deal but, if you have a freezer, it doesn't really take up that much space and you will receive lots of cuts that can make no end of roasts/stews in the winter.
That does seem the most economic way... I need to invest in a decent size freezer though.... another item added to list! Although it is a bit like being a member of Costco....great value if your a family, but if your on your own, its questionable if you will get you money's worth. The freezer is still on the list though.

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Rednecks in Peterborough.... when did that happen .

With one of the most upmarket watering holes now closed I"m surprised there are any rednecks left in Peterborough.

https://pigseardoc.ca/
Lol yeah used to pop in there as part of our Friday night tour... just for a "family size" bottle of 50 and a pickled egg! the students drove out the red necks! most of them are harmless though to be honest (the red necks and the students) and I have never seen any confederate flags being waved as Bats mentioned. Anyway the place is now a mere memory like many other bars and restaurants in Peterborough.


Originally Posted by bats
I used to shop there when we lived in the city and had little income, its been trarted up since then. I no longer eat beef or pork and have chicken only occasionally. We used to get beef from a local farmer, it's grass fed, finished. She charges us the same rate per pound regardless of the cut but it's way more than $4 a pound, double I think. I've heard Otanabee Meat Packers is good.
Otonabee meat packers I have heard of them, I think you told me of a place that sells good lamb too, cant remember now, I left Peterborough not long after that, and never got around to going there.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Mar 2nd 2022 at 11:38 am.
Paul_Shepherd is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 1:32 pm
  #2614  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Almost Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: South of Calgary
Posts: 13,374
Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
That does seem the most economic way... I need to invest in a decent size freezer though.... another item added to list! Although it is a bit like being a member of Costco....great value if your a family, but if your on your own, its questionable if you will get you money's worth. The freezer is still on the list though.

Otonabee meat packers I have heard of them, I think you told me of a place that sells good lamb too, cant remember now, I left Peterborough not long after that, and never got around to going there.
We were shocked when we went a month or two ago for half a cow. Previously, their prices were $3.50 per lb.

We sell our lambs for $400 per lamb butchered to your liking. That's when we sell them. Most of the time we trade them for other animals. This year that may change as my wife wants to start raising pigs (which we used to trade some for).

Half a cow will fit into a relatively small (not 5 feet wide) chest freezer. We bought some upright one from Home Depot some years back that were, IIRC, around $200. When my daughters bought their residence earlier this year, I advised them to buy one and I believe the prices had risen to $300 or so. They were similar to these:

Midea Midea 5.3 cu.ft. Upright Freezer with Reversible Door | The Home Depot Canada

Danby Diplomat 7.2 cu ft. E-Star Chest Freezer with 5 year Warranty | Costco
Almost Canadian is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 1:50 pm
  #2615  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 50,763
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
That does seem the most economic way... I need to invest in a decent size freezer though.... another item added to list! Although it is a bit like being a member of Costco....great value if your a family, but if your on your own, its questionable if you will get you money's worth. The freezer is still on the list though.
We're 4 and we have three chest freezers of a similar size. If I was on my own I wouldn't think twice about one of these. It's a Danby and I bought one in 2005. $149 back then, $228 now, although it seems to be $500 in Walmart.

It pays for itself in no time if you buy when the flyers are advertising stuff at around half its normal price.
I've recently discovered a slaughterhouse/farm - linked to other farms for different things - that runs a store out of town but they do delivery. It's not better than the supermarket deals, just different in terms of what you can get.

We buy a slab of beef tenderloin when it's around $11/lb at Superstore (Loblaws). Buy it as steaks and you're looking at $25 to $35/lb normally. Buying a piece of meet for $80 to $90 is mind blowing. But for us it provides 4 ziploc packs of four good size steaks and the part that's hard to cut for steaks we use for something like a Stroganoff. We're getting at least 20 meals from it (4 people x5 meals).

Looking at Tenderoin on Costco, they have slabs 2.5 to 3.5lb for $115. That's between $36 and $42/lb

This is why I've never been convinced by costco pricing being an advantage.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 3:56 pm
  #2616  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,982
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
That does seem the most economic way... I need to invest in a decent size freezer though.... another item added to list! Although it is a bit like being a member of Costco....great value if your a family, but if your on your own, its questionable if you will get you money's worth. The freezer is still on the list though.



Lol yeah used to pop in there as part of our Friday night tour... just for a "family size" bottle of 50 and a pickled egg! the students drove out the red necks! most of them are harmless though to be honest (the red necks and the students) and I have never seen any confederate flags being waved as Bats mentioned. Anyway the place is now a mere memory like many other bars and restaurants in Peterborough.




Otonabee meat packers I have heard of them, I think you told me of a place that sells good lamb too, cant remember now, I left Peterborough not long after that, and never got around to going there.
message me and I'll give you the link. She does beef too.
bats is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2022, 5:47 pm
  #2617  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 10,128
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

The Mrs has been resistant to getting a freezer - we have two fridge freezers, so why do we need a dedicated freezer? Solely on the buying stuff when it’s on special argument it would seem to pay. Locally reared/slaughtered meat comes at a premium cost here irrespective of how much you buy. With food prices continuing to rise and more supply chain challenges ahead I’m beginning to think it would be a good idea.

Mind you all this talk of meat is a bit moot for me at present. I had gastric surgery last week to fix a large hiatal hernia so I’m on fluid and mush diet for the foreseeable future.
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2022, 6:05 pm
  #2618  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,982
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The Mrs has been resistant to getting a freezer - we have two fridge freezers, so why do we need a dedicated freezer? Solely on the buying stuff when it’s on special argument it would seem to pay. Locally reared/slaughtered meat comes at a premium cost here irrespective of how much you buy. With food prices continuing to rise and more supply chain challenges ahead I’m beginning to think it would be a good idea.

Mind you all this talk of meat is a bit moot for me at present. I had gastric surgery last week to fix a large hiatal hernia so I’m on fluid and mush diet for the foreseeable future.
Feel better soon, that sounds pretty ouchy
bats is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2022, 12:16 am
  #2619  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 50,763
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The Mrs has been resistant to getting a freezer - we have two fridge freezers, so why do we need a dedicated freezer? Solely on the buying stuff when it’s on special argument it would seem to pay. ...

Keeps really, really long term in a chest freezer too. Every now and then I find something that's been there three years or more and it's been fine.

GWS

BristolUK is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2022, 9:38 pm
  #2620  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 50,763
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Bloody hell, the price of some of the stuff today.

Classico pasta sauce jars. I don't buy them that often but I do like the Milan/vodka one and the Alfredo ones are good. I usually get 2 or 3 when the offer price is around the $2 mark. Three weeks ago the 'full' price was $3.69. Today...$5.59 That's more than a 50% increase.

Bread that I began buying in pairs a few weeks ago because it was $5, now $7.

Philly Cream cheese tubs. Not long ago $3, now $4.99.
Bacon, on offer @ $6.99 for a 375g pack. I'm used to $3.99, or $4.99 for a 500g pack.

On the plus side, they had more jars of marmite than I've ever seen before.

And chickens @ $1.99/lb, Boneless cross rib @ $3.99/lb is still very good.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 11th 2022 at 9:42 pm.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2022, 5:54 am
  #2621  
.
 
Oink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 20,185
Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Bloody hell, the price of some of the stuff today.

Classico pasta sauce jars. I don't buy them that often but I do like the Milan/vodka one and the Alfredo ones are good. I usually get 2 or 3 when the offer price is around the $2 mark. Three weeks ago the 'full' price was $3.69. Today...$5.59 That's more than a 50% increase.

Bread that I began buying in pairs a few weeks ago because it was $5, now $7.

Philly Cream cheese tubs. Not long ago $3, now $4.99.
Bacon, on offer @ $6.99 for a 375g pack. I'm used to $3.99, or $4.99 for a 500g pack.

On the plus side, they had more jars of marmite than I've ever seen before.

And chickens @ $1.99/lb, Boneless cross rib @ $3.99/lb is still very good.

I feel your pain. I went to get some fresh chilies and they have gone up $1.50 a packet. I'm not buying anything anymore and they can all just SMBSC.
Oink is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2022, 12:17 pm
  #2622  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Oxford
Posts: 205
I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Oink
I feel your pain. I went to get some fresh chilies and they have gone up $1.50 a packet. I'm not buying anything anymore and they can all just SMBSC.
I have not read the whole thread, so not entirely sure I have got it, but since it's about groceries, I suppose this works: SMBSC - Southern Minnesota Beet Sugar Cooperative
I am I said is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2022, 2:49 pm
  #2623  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 50,763
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Instacart broke the record for speedy delivery today.
I saw there were a couple of bargains at Walmart that were likely to disappear starting tomorrow (they don't always have the flyer price) so I rushed through a quick order.

I took the "by 12.25pm" option with my order acknowledged at 10.57. 8 'items' but one of those items included 9 2L bottles.

At 11.24, the guy pulled up outside and delivered. Everything as ordered.

27 minutes from order to delivery.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2022, 2:42 pm
  #2624  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 50,763
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

A few days after a record breaking performance we had the opposite. Not slow just careless.

Order was for about $140 but delivery was missing a bag of stuff that was over $70. Obviously a simple mistake - in the top of the bag we had by mistake was a clamshell of chocolatines whereas our missing stuff included a clamshell of pizza buns. If that was on top - likely as they are flimsy - both bags would have looked similar.

A simple mistake if you're shopping for yourself and the only consequence is discovering you're unloading a different bag. If you're shopping for others, you should be taking more care. Mark the bag or something (like some of them do) or look under the top item.

It was, of course, no problem getting the $72 back - literally within a minute of making the report.

The bag we got by mistake was worth about $20 - which instacart says to keep and we can make use of most of it. The recipient of our $72 value has done very well out of it. Unless they especially wanted the chocolatines and their book discussion group that afternoon was ruined with no delicacies with which to have with their coffee. The host's name may be mud.

Sobeys flyer tomorrow. Leg of Lamb for a ridiculous $5.49 lb. That has to be a mistake.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2022, 9:18 pm
  #2625  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,982
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by BristolUK
A few days after a record breaking performance we had the opposite. Not slow just careless.

Order was for about $140 but delivery was missing a bag of stuff that was over $70. Obviously a simple mistake - in the top of the bag we had by mistake was a clamshell of chocolatines whereas our missing stuff included a clamshell of pizza buns. If that was on top - likely as they are flimsy - both bags would have looked similar.

A simple mistake if you're shopping for yourself and the only consequence is discovering you're unloading a different bag. If you're shopping for others, you should be taking more care. Mark the bag or something (like some of them do) or look under the top item.

It was, of course, no problem getting the $72 back - literally within a minute of making the report.

The bag we got by mistake was worth about $20 - which instacart says to keep and we can make use of most of it. The recipient of our $72 value has done very well out of it. Unless they especially wanted the chocolatines and their book discussion group that afternoon was ruined with no delicacies with which to have with their coffee. The host's name may be mud.

Sobeys flyer tomorrow. Leg of Lamb for a ridiculous $5.49 lb. That has to be a mistake.
OK. what are chocolatines and pizza buns?

We bought 15lbs of misshapen spuds for $6 that are better quality than the apparently more attractive spuds. Now I need potato recipes that ideally don't involve dairy.
bats is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.