Groceries

Old Jan 3rd 2020, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

I can never cook a whole chicken as well as the roaster ovens at the grocery store can, weird in a way that a cooked whole chicken which requires more effort on the part of the store is cheaper vs raw most of the time.

No Frills has goose on flyer this week, $5.48/lb though, I don't care for goose myself, but seems popular items at this No Frills.

Originally Posted by caretaker
Independent has whole chickens for $2/lb so I got a nice plump one for $7, but my neighbour just came over and gave me a nice pair of walleye fillets from this morning's catch so that bird will have to wait for tomorrow!
Old Jan 20th 2020, 3:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Going back a few years the only beef we used to buy were the cheap ones around $4 lb. Inside Round, outside, cross rib etc.

They made decent enough steaks but as roasts they were very much hit and miss - mostly miss.

Now we're able to buy better stuff - Tenderloin, Top Sirloin, T-Bone and Premium Prime Rib - although we still only do so when it's around half price and that's often.

The cheaper cuts were okay in a slow cooker, but I still felt they were a bit stringy. I stopped buying them completely.

But we just found two Inside Rounds in the bottom of the deep freeze from late 2017. MIL turned one into one of her fantastic soups - far more meat than the shanks she would normally use and I cooked one with yesterday's Prime Rib Roast.

I just had a nice beef sandwich for lunch using the Inside Round.

The ban has been lifted and I will now happily buy one or two in future to be roasted for the provision of cold beef. And maybe beef stock too.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 7:47 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Made a beef stew in the slow cooker. Problem is the root veggies, don't really like mush veggies. Throw them out or blend them. This time I did the latter to get the nutrition and thicken the stew, but not really convinced that's the way to go. It becomes kind of soupy. Any recommendations?
Old Jan 21st 2020, 11:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Made a beef stew in the slow cooker. Problem is the root veggies, don't really like mush veggies. Throw them out or blend them. This time I did the latter to get the nutrition and thicken the stew, but not really convinced that's the way to go. It becomes kind of soupy. Any recommendations?
I don't really use root veggies in the slow cooker. Definitely not spud as there's not much room for everything else. I have used carrots but I tend to cut them into fingers rather than slices. They hold their shape.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 1:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We love our root veggies in our stews, as well. Even though I use the slow cooker, I will put those veggies in about 1 hour before the stew is done so they aren't mushy. The first time I used them I put them in the stew in the beginning and they disintegrated.

Perhaps roast them and add them to the stew when you are taking your serving.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 4:06 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Rete
Perhaps roast them and add them to the stew when you are taking your serving.
Good idea. Roasting makes such a difference. Of course, they could just be added to the plate or shallow dish.

A couple of weeks ago I made a coq au vin (my usual cheat with a Colman's packet) and had roast spuds (done in the actifry) on the plate. The best of both worlds.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 9:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I like them roasted. But I thought the idea was that the veggies flavour the stew? How much beef do you put in if it's just beef?
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

When I use the crock pot, I cut potatoes and carrots in bigger chunks, they soften but don't turn to mush.

I wont eat cooked carrots, but my wife will otherwise I wouldn't even put carrots in...ha ha
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 10:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I like them roasted. But I thought the idea was that the veggies flavour the stew? How much beef do you put in if it's just beef?

Hubby, the Canuck, doesn't eat beef so I make a great pork stew in the same manner as beef stew. I use the boneless ribs for the stew meat. Why not add part of the root veggies to the stew at the beginning for flavor and the rest of them roasted. I do add potatoes to mine, as well as lots of onions, butternut squash, string beans, carrots (cut them into large pieces), and sometimes acorn squash.

As for the amount of meat, I use five to six of the boneless ribs cut up. Makes for at least two nice meals and a single serving for the freezer.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 10:24 pm
Concierge

Oh BTW, College Inn makes a great new product called Started Sauce/Gravy. You never have to make your own for your stew. Just add a box of the liquid Starter to the crock pot and you are set to go.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 1:21 am
Oscar nominated

I think there's so much flavour from onions and leeks that carrots and spuds wouldn't be noticeable - other than starch.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh BTW, College Inn makes a great new product called Started Sauce/Gravy. You never have to make your own for your stew. Just add a box of the liquid Starter to the crock pot and you are set to go.
where do you get that from?

I always use oxtail soup mix because I live with Mr Picky who wont eat onions etc- his staple is meat (of any kind) potatoes and carrots- that's it!
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 3:58 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
who wont eat onions
What!!! Won't eat onions... I blame the parents.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I see Justin is in deep trouble with his Doughnut choice.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 4:22 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by shelley748
where do you get that from?
If you don't mind a 'cheat' as a helper - I use cheats very often - these are okay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.