Groceries

Old Sep 24th 2021, 6:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

We have 13 (thirteen) chickens in our freezers

(but only one Turkey )

On today's grocery order corned beef was $4.77 but I noticed the Halal version - same brand, same weight - was $2.77. So that's what I ordered. 3 tins.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 5:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Breaking News.....
Butterball Turkeys advertised in latest Sobeys/Superstore flyers

Not what I'd call a 'deal' though as it's the same price as the one we got last week. $4.34/kg. $1.96/lb.
Pretty sure I paid $1.49/lb for a Butterball (or PC equivalent) last year and the basic Walmart ones 99c/lb a couple of years ago when we had about 5 in the freezer.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 7:39 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I picked up some teeny tiny lambchops this morning and have located the little jar of mint jelly in the fridge door.

Old Sep 29th 2021, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Super Store employees in Alberta have voted to strike by a wide margin, the strike vote is good for 120 days and the union only needs to provide 72 hours notice, no notification yet about a strike and the union seems open to the company coming back to the table to negotiate and make an offer that is acceptable to the majority of the workers as 97% voted to strike so whatever the offer was seems it was not acceptable to the large majority.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8229378/a...s-vote-strike/
Old Sep 30th 2021, 9:33 pm
Oscar nominated

Leg of lamb hugely reduced in Walmart this week. $4.97/lb.
A great opportunity to stock up and then I discovered we have six in the freezers from the last stocking up.

Still bought two more though. $40 legs for $27.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gala apples in Superstore, $3.99/lb
They are still there.
Old Oct 2nd 2021, 3:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Food inflation is worse than the government stats show according to a study.

Stats Canada says 2.7% where this study done by Dalhousie University’s Agri-Food Analytics Lab says its closer to 5%.

Meat has risen the most at 10% over the past 6 months. (eggs are 33 cents more per dozen yesterday vs January according to the 2 receipts I have.)

49% of Canadians surveyed are buyng less meat and even higher in Alberta where 57% say they cut back on meat.

42 per cent of respondents doing more flyer shopping this year.

40% say they are buying discounted near best by date products more.

Even if prices haven't gone up shrinkflation has shrunk products so you just get less for the same price, like the cereal I buy, it was 1kg now its 907grams which is kind of an odd number, why 907, why not 900? Price did go up a bit as well though, so inflation and shrinkflation all in one box.

Old Oct 2nd 2021, 6:00 am
Account Closed

Who copied who I wonder?

Apparently a tiny chain in the US midwest called No Frills, looks kind of familiar doesn't it?

The US chain looks to have started in 1979/1980 time frame, and got up to 15 stores by 2005 when the owner died, now they appear to have 3 stores total so seems like the chain is dead, but interesting how similiar the colors and such were, just not sure who copied who, no way it's just a coincidence.

I only came across this similiariity as one of the stores in Iowa shut down and they found Larry who had been missing for 7 years, sadly Larry wasn't okay when found.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 2nd 2021 at 6:05 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2021, 6:26 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Who copied who I wonder?
I wonder if Loblaws paid to use the name? If they'd been first they would have certainly sued the small chain. Was Larry the guy they found jammed in behind a freezer or cooler?
Old Oct 2nd 2021, 6:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
I wonder if Loblaws paid to use the name? If they'd been first they would have certainly sued the small chain. Was Larry the guy they found jammed in behind a freezer or cooler?
Yeah that was Larry, guess for his family its good the location closed otherwise he may not have been found for even longer, at least being found they got some closure, but what a crappy way to die.

It did cross my mind that Loblaws would have dealt with the issue, who knows, maybe it's like Target US and Target Australia, same name, similiar logos, not related though.

If it were just the name I would say conincidence, but it appears the US chain also used yellow and black, and just so similiar, but looks to be a mostly defunct chain now, only 3 small town locations listed on their very basic website, but I did find some old commercials, seems they were a little more frills than our version as they had deli, bakery, and butchers in store.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 6:06 am
Account Closed

Has anyone ever tried this candy? Say's it's made in England, never seen it before, seems interesting so I order a bag to try (Amazon has them) as first time I ever seen them, I like trying new candy.

Old Oct 6th 2021, 11:24 am
Oscar nominated

Has anyone ever tried this candy? Say's it's made in England, never seen it before, seems interesting so I order a bag to try (Amazon has them) as first time I ever seen them, I like trying new candy.
Bubble Gum flavour...no thanks.
You should try Sherbet Lemons or Lemon Bonbons.
And Topic for chocolate.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 11:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No…sounds awful. I used to like Love Hearts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Hearts
Old Oct 6th 2021, 12:47 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I used to like Love Hearts.
And Parma Violets?

Old Oct 6th 2021, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

They do the same ones, but in the flavour of drumstick lollies
Old Oct 6th 2021, 2:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And Parma Violets?
Didn't care for those.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.