Groceries

Old Aug 18th 2021, 1:37 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You might like Moussaka?
Funny thing with eggpant, I never found any bitterness despite the recommendation of salting them for a while. But I just read something last week that they now produce them without any bitterness.
I still salt eggplant before oven roasting with other veggies, to remove the excess water in them. If you don't they end up leaking all over the other veggies.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 1:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Slice the eggplant
Stuff the eggplant. It's huge and it's developing a soft spot; I'll reassess it's potential as a free vegetable later, but the zuchinni are going.

Old Aug 18th 2021, 1:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
but the zuchinni are going.
Don't do it!! Make a zuchinni slice, easy as and so tasty. All you need is zuchinni (obviously), cheese, eggs, self raising flour, onion, bacon and oil.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 2:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Don't do it!! Make a zuchinni slice, easy as and so tasty. All you need is zuchinni (obviously), cheese, eggs, self raising flour, onion, bacon and oil.
I might take a couple of turnips too, just so it's a balanced box. If I can give away anything I'm not going to use before it goes bad it's a win.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 3:11 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by caretaker
I might take a couple of turnips too, just so it's a balanced box. If I can give away anything I'm not going to use before it goes bad it's a win.
I see you don't give a beanie
About a slice made of zuchinni
Old Aug 18th 2021, 5:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
SD keeps picking them from her garden. Loads. Apart from using them grilled, she makes Zucchini cake with them and very nice it is too. Like carrot cake.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 6:43 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

SD keeps picking them from her garden. Loads. Apart from using them grilled, she makes Zucchini cake with them and very nice it is too. Like carrot cake.
I have 2 zucchini plants - both monsters, producing copious amounts of big zucchini - I've picked 16 in the past 10 days - there are another 3 that will be ready by the weekend (and that's apart from all the ones I've been eating / giving away over the past 6 weeks), one weighed in at nearly 3lb! I grate the bigger ones for use in baking or adding to soups for a quick veg boost. The smaller ones I used a veg peeler to make very thin long strips/ribbona (i.e. shaved) and eat them raw in salads, better than cucumber (and no burp)
Other things you can do with them: https://www.eatthis.com/creative-zucchini-ideas/

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 18th 2021 at 6:48 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 7:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I have 2 zucchini plants - both monsters, producing copious amounts of big zucchini - I've picked 16 in the past 10 days - there are another 3 that will be ready by the weekend (and that's apart from all the ones I've been eating / giving away over the past 6 weeks), one weighed in at nearly 3lb! I grate the bigger ones for use in baking or adding to soups for a quick veg boost. The smaller ones I used a veg peeler to make very thin long strips/ribbona (i.e. shaved) and eat them raw in salads, better than cucumber (and no burp)
Other things you can do with them: https://www.eatthis.com/creative-zucchini-ideas/
She's had a bumper crop of cucumbers too.

There's a couple of things to try there, thanks. I remember grating them trying them as zucchini burgers 2 or 3 years back but didn't seem to work that well. Maybe as fillers.
President's choice Black Label (or poseur label as I call it ) used to sell marinated zucchini and it was fantastic on a salad. We tried our own but couldn't get close.

Old Aug 18th 2021, 9:13 pm
Oscar nominated

From Superstore flyer...

Peaches 3L pack $4.99
Preserving Peaches 7L box $14

Obviously I don't know what 'preserving' peaches are. My guess would have been that they were either overripe or would be so very quickly and they were sold on the cheap for that reason.

But if for $9 you get get 9L of ripe or about to be ripe, making those cheaper, there must be some other bonus feature of preserving peaches.

Unless someone just made a mistake.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 9:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Obviously I don't know what 'preserving' peaches are.
Probably clingstone peaches.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 11:17 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Wot is the Tim Tam Slam?from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tam#Tim_Tam_Slam

The Tim Tam Slam (also known as the Tim Tam Shotgun, Tim Tam Bomb, Tim Tam Explosion, Tim Tam Bong and Tim Tam Suck) is the practice of drinking a hot beverage through a Tim Tam. Opposite corners of the Tim Tam are bitten off, one end is submerged in the beverage, and the beverage is sucked through the biscuit as though the Tim Tam itself were a straw. The crisp interior biscuit is eventually softened and the outer chocolate coating begins to melt, at which point the biscuit is eaten.

The Arnott's company used the name Tim Tam Suck in a 2002 advertising campaign.

In February 2019, Arnott's released a "Slams" branded version of the Tim Tam biscuit.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Wal-Mart sent me a promo email to encourage me to use online grocery ordering, first 3 orders $15 off, okay sure, I will order online and you can collect my groceries and bring them to my car, and save $15 which means in reality getting an extra $15 in food since I could get $95 worth for our budget of $80.

Works for me Wal-Mart, works for me.

It's probably to encourage using their new delivery service, which costs $14.99, but eh I'd rather have $15 in more groceries and just pick it up, heck I would be willing to do my own shopping too and save $15, but only valid online, so less work for me I guess.
Old Aug 21st 2021, 6:39 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Wal-Mart sent me a promo email to encourage me to use online grocery ordering, first 3 orders $15 off, okay sure, I will order online and you can collect my groceries and bring them to my car, and save $15 which means in reality getting an extra $15 in food since I could get $95 worth for our budget of $80.

Works for me Wal-Mart, works for me.

It's probably to encourage using their new delivery service, which costs $14.99, but eh I'd rather have $15 in more groceries and just pick it up, heck I would be willing to do my own shopping too and save $15, but only valid online, so less work for me I guess.
That's weird.
I just happened to notice a different appearance on the Walmart site.

Previously the moment anything grocery related was added to the cart/basket, because Walmart hasn't done grocery deliver here, there was a screen note directing you to Instacart. But this time, recognising my normal Walmart account, I was offered $25 off a £75 shop/delivery and there was a fee mentioned of $9.97.

So I thought now they might be doing it themselves. Shopped and packed by an employee and delivered by a Walmart driver bit they might sometimes use a third party driver.

So I thought ah-ah...regular employees, regular wages and maybe regular prices rather than Instacart prices which are often more. Might be a better deal.

I did a dummy shop and the site allowed me to go as far as booking a delivery slot, for which the charge was $6.97 and not the $9.97 mentioned. I stopped short at the credit card point because I saw nothing about a tip (IGA has a tip option even though it's all their own staff doing it) and there was nowhere to enter the code to get $25 off.
I guessed this was because the offer was for first timers and if I already an account I couldn't be a first timer. On the other hand if it's a new service then everyone must be a first timer.

But the surprise was that they appeared to be delivering now. I mentioned it to my SD. Disbelieving me, she tried and got "no delivery to your area"

I tried again and got pick-up only options, with that same $15 discount you mentioned. It would still mean turning up by taxi and that cost, including "waiting time" would likely cancel out the saving.

But it's weird that I could actually book a delivery slot for my address and then an hour later no delivery option.

Old Aug 21st 2021, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe a glitch? I have that happen with some sites, one day they say my postal code is invalid a few days later it works.

Weirdest one was our apartment in Vancouver, put in our postal code, Dominos and Panago all said nope, out of delivery range, put in the correct address of the apartment building, but use the postal code of the car dealer across the street, and poof they would deliver.

That issue with delivery of food was real life version of this:

Shopify powered sites seem to be the worst offenders with the postal code being wrong. I would think the postal code Canada Post says is correct should be the actual correct postal code.

I know they are still using IC as their delivery is still growing, but I have seen the vans parked and they are climate controlled, and branded with Walmart branding, and my wife had an interview there (she ended up taking a more flexible job) and they offered her $18.50 to start as she had prior work history with Wal-Mart, and I am sure Wal-Mart like Save-On will probably not permit the drivers to accept tips.

But at least with climate controlled vans, your food will arrive frozen and cold, IC drivers are supposed to have thermal bags, but if your stop #3 it could still be an hour or more from time driver leaves store and arrives, IC will add up to 3 orders into 1 batch, since paying 1 person a lower fee is cheaper than paying 3 people, but IC shoppers hate 3 order batches which are the most common now, as per order you end up making less, so for the IC driver its not a good value hence why IC does it, they would never do anything that benefits the workers.

I also think Wal-Mart is getting fed up with IC and went hey, why not do delivery, cut out the middle person, which for a company their size may very well end up more cost effective and will give Wal-Mart direct control over the quality of the service, IC can be unreliable since its just a bunch of people with phones who choose when they work, so IC can't schedule to meet demand like Wal--Mart and Save On can with employees.

That's weird.

Previously the moment anything grocery related was added to the cart/basket, because Walmart hasn't done grocery deliver here, there was a screen note directing you to Instacart. But this time, recognising my normal Walmart account, I was offered $25 off a £75 shop/delivery and there was a fee mentioned of $9.97.

So I thought now they might be doing it themselves. Shopped and packed by an employee and delivered by a Walmart driver bit they might sometimes use a third party driver.

So I thought ah-ah...regular employees, regular wages and maybe regular prices rather than Instacart prices which are often more. Might be a better deal.

I did a dummy shop and the site allowed me to go as far as booking a delivery slot, for which the charge was $6.97 and not the $9.97 mentioned. I stopped short at the credit card point because I saw nothing about a tip (IGA has a tip option even though it's all their own staff doing it) and there was nowhere to enter the code to get $25 off.
I guessed this was because the offer was for first timers and if I already an account I couldn't be a first timer. On the other hand if it's a new service then everyone must be a first timer.

But the surprise was that they appeared to be delivering now. I mentioned it to my SD. Disbelieving me, she tried and got "no delivery to your area"

I tried again and got pick-up only options, with that same $15 discount you mentioned. It would still mean turning up by taxi and that cost, including "waiting time" would likely cancel out the saving.

But it's weird that I could actually book a delivery slot for my address and then an hour later no delivery option.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 21st 2021 at 8:14 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 4:02 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

That's weird.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Maybe a glitch? I have that happen with some sites, one day they say my postal code is invalid a few days later it works.

Weirdest one was our apartment in Vancouver, put in our postal code, Dominos and Panago all said nope, out of delivery range, put in the correct address of the apartment building, but use the postal code of the car dealer across the street, and poof they would deliver.

That issue with delivery of food was real life version of this:

https://youtu.be/gKRpkhMC0WY

Shopify powered sites seem to be the worst offenders with the postal code being wrong. I would think the postal code Canada Post says is correct should be the actual correct postal code.

I know they are still using IC as their delivery is still growing, but I have seen the vans parked and they are climate controlled, and branded with Walmart branding, and my wife had an interview there (she ended up taking a more flexible job) and they offered her $18.50 to start as she had prior work history with Wal-Mart, and I am sure Wal-Mart like Save-On will probably not permit the drivers to accept tips.

But at least with climate controlled vans, your food will arrive frozen and cold, IC drivers are supposed to have thermal bags, but if your stop #3 it could still be an hour or more from time driver leaves store and arrives, IC will add up to 3 orders into 1 batch, since paying 1 person a lower fee is cheaper than paying 3 people, but IC shoppers hate 3 order batches which are the most common now, as per order you end up making less, so for the IC driver its not a good value hence why IC does it, they would never do anything that benefits the workers.

I also think Wal-Mart is getting fed up with IC and went hey, why not do delivery, cut out the middle person, which for a company their size may very well end up more cost effective and will give Wal-Mart direct control over the quality of the service, IC can be unreliable since its just a bunch of people with phones who choose when they work, so IC can't schedule to meet demand like Wal--Mart and Save On can with employees.
Walmart have been doing their own deliveries around here for a while They also guarantee that they will refund anything you are not happy with, such as an alternative that has been picked for you. They sent me some mushrooms that were bruised and an 'alternative' that I didn't like and gave me a full refund within 24 hours. No tips required or allowed!

Win win!

I still like Voila but they are a bit more expensive, generally. I have stopped using Instacart unless it's for 1 wholesale store, with higher prices, delivery charges and tip it was getting too expensive..

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 22nd 2021 at 4:07 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.