Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Gozit's ultimate smartphone buying guide - Sept 2014

Gozit's ultimate smartphone buying guide - Sept 2014

Old Sep 25th 2014, 1:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gozit's ultimate smartphone buying guide - Sept 2014

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Use your smartphone
I didn't have my magnifying glass to hand.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, and it has people who fix this sort of stuff. I actually took it to a client's department of people who fix this sort of stuff as that was convenient.

My point though is that I'm just a user of notebook computers, I've no interest in knowing anything about Windoze, so I'd rather pay than deal with problems of this nature. Similarly, I expect I could program the phone (if it hadn't lost so many keys) as I'm an assembler programmer by trade but I'm not interested to do so.

Between people who can't fix computer problems and those who won't try there's lots of market for a keen kid.
I absolutely agree that there is a market for this, the debate though has been more about the superior attitude that has come across with the assumption that some of us, based on the fact that we don't agree with 10 year olds having smartphones, would be incapable of operating them ourselves. It then progressed onto fixing computers.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I didn't have my magnifying glass to hand.
oh yes I know that feeling!
Old Sep 25th 2014, 1:59 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Out of the box (this is a wild assertion, I know) they all, along with most other household wireless devices (mice, keyboards, game controllers etc), operate in the unlicensed 2.4-2.5Ghz ISM band. Our beloved microwave oven broadcasts at the centre frequency in this band range.

So, while some argue that this is a safe range of frequencies, as "it doesn't alter DNA", cell phones etc are all technically miniature microwave ovens that are capable of making your molecules dance a slow late-night dance together while trying to rub each other.

As far as I understand, the safety thresholds relate to wattage power output per kilogram of flesh. So the concern there is a cell phone running wireless and cell communications at full power, while it's next to a child. Why a child? Because you need far more power and time to cook an adult.
With respect, because I do respect your opinions and sense of humour, that's bullshit.

<thread drift alert>
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:16 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I absolutely agree that there is a market for this, the debate though has been more about the superior attitude that has come across with the assumption that some of us, based on the fact that we don't agree with 10 year olds having smartphones, would be incapable of operating them ourselves. It then progressed onto fixing computers.
Yes which once again he missed or made it about computers which his original dig was NOT about!

JamesM... Is there a knight in shining armour icon?
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:18 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

But to get back to some semblance of relevance, all this talk of knowing how to operate $100,000 pieces of equipment, reminds me that today alone, I gave away pieces of equipment worth twice that.

I may have mentioned that I retire next July and I'm in the process of decommissioning my laboratories. I suspect that I have about $2 million worth of stuff still to get rid of.

Do you think I should try kijiji?

Also, with respect to the adolescent's insistence that he's a tech wizard, I wonder if he's ever built a mass spectrometer or an airborne laser spectrometer, or a cavity ring down spectrometer, a matrix isolation FTIR system etc., etc., etc., from scratch (and of course all the software to control the instruments' operation and data acquisition)?
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:20 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
But to get back to some semblance of relevance, all this talk of knowing how to operate $100,000 pieces of equipment, reminds me that today alone, I gave away pieces of equipment worth twice that.

I may have mentioned that I retire next July and I'm in the process of decommissioning my laboratories. I suspect that I have about $2 million worth of stuff still to get rid of.

Also, with respect to the adolescent's insistence that he's a tech wizard, I wonder if he's ever built a mass spectrometer or an airborne laser spectrometer, or a cavity ring down spectrometer, a matrix isolation FTIR system etc., etc., etc., from scratch (and of course all the software to control the instruments' operation and data acquisition)?
Spect so....or really google and wiki should give you what you need huh?

Do other labs buy the stuff then? Or does it get recycled?

Note the word stuff there like?
BE Forum Addict

You could maybe try something along the lines of Jing's air miles giveaway
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

From the polar positions we have presented, I think it's important that Gozit forms and presents his opinion.

Mankind may depend on it.

With respect, because I do respect your opinions and sense of humour, that's bullshit.

<thread drift alert>
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:29 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't mind a desk and chair and perhaps a coffee table to put just by my sofa if you have one?

I don't suppose there is a beer fridge as well?
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:30 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Spect so....or really google and wiki should give you what you need huh?

Do other labs buy the stuff then? Or does it get recycled?

Note the word stuff there like?
I'm working on that. If you know anyone who might want the "stuff"give me a shout. The problem is that most of what I have/ have built is immensely specialized.

I'll likely have to split most of it into basic components.

Which pains me more than a bit.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:33 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by JamesM
I don't suppose there is a beer fridge as well?
Amazingly. there is.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:38 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Yes which once again he missed or made it about computers which his original dig was NOT about!

JamesM... Is there a knight in shining armour icon?
I found this one

And this one

And my new favourite
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:40 am
Muskoka, Ontario

I'm working on that. If you know anyone who might want the "stuff"give me a shout. The problem is that most of what I have/ have built is immensely specialized.

I'll likely have to split most of it into basic components.

Which pains me more than a bit.
Amazingly. there is.
Upcycling at it's finest.

Hmmm I guess James has first dibs on the beer fridge...amazingly for a great big canadian house we have a fricken teeny tiny fridge which has that coating which also means it repels magnets! Useless! So I do need a fridge for the beer/wine that I can't currently consume!
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:44 am
Born again atheist

Upcycling at it's finest.

Hmmm I guess James has first dibs on the beer fridge...amazingly for a great big canadian house we have a fricken teeny tiny fridge which has that coating which also means it repels magnets! Useless! So I do need a fridge for the beer/wine that I can't currently consume!
Oh, Christ, not that thread again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.