Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Gozit's ultimate smartphone buying guide - Sept 2014

Gozit's ultimate smartphone buying guide - Sept 2014

Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:45 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gozit's ultimate smartphone buying guide - Sept 2014

Originally Posted by JamesM
I found this one

And this one

And my new favourite
Ha ha those were the days!!!! I used to love that song!
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:50 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh, Christ, not that thread again.
Just saying .
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I'd park it there mate.
Yeah. I'm done

Personally if I were your age again I'd get into the coding side of the software on computers.

So many job opportunities and a lot of money in the space. Digital and big data is the big growth industry over the next decade or so.

You'd probably find a decent job in Malta too. I think there are quite a few online gaming companies there.
Yeah. I want to get into the business side of it; which involves some coding custom programs for organisations, but is more the side of implementing solutions such as Microsoft Exchange and Active Directory, as well as the commissioning/setup/oversight of employee laptops, mobiles, etc. Either that or start my own business...
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I got one of those ransom virus thingies (I think it was when I went to some dodgy sites to check that my image hadn't been included in the fappening). "FBI" it said, "Pay Fine $100 to unlock computer", lots of official looking stuff.

"If I had 30 minutes with Mr. Google", I might have thought, "I could fix this". Alas, the computer's locked, innit? There's no chance to google. I took the machine to people who fix this stuff. I suppose I could have asked a passing kid how to get google on the phone but that's a lot of messing about; I just needed it fixed.
Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, and it has people who fix this sort of stuff. I actually took it to a client's department of people who fix this sort of stuff as that was convenient.

My point though is that I'm just a user of notebook computers, I've no interest in knowing anything about Windoze, so I'd rather pay than deal with problems of this nature. Similarly, I expect I could program the phone (if it hadn't lost so many keys) as I'm an assembler programmer by trade but I'm not interested to do so.

Between people who can't fix computer problems and those who won't try there's lots of market for a keen kid.
Ah. There we go. That's the point I was trying to get across
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:58 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yeah. I'm done

Yeah. I want to get into the business side of it; which involves some coding custom programs for organisations, but is more the side of implementing solutions such as Microsoft Exchange and Active Directory, as well as the commissioning/setup/oversight of employee laptops, mobiles, etc. Either that or start my own business...
My mate is the IT Support Guy for a firm.

It's a lot of dealing with whiny people and telling them to switch things on and off.

Apparently that really does solve 90% of all issues.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:01 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It's a lot of dealing with whiny people and telling them to switch things on and off.

Quite. Our adolescent would clearly have failed the Marshmallow Test.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Surprisingly, it does.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:03 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. I'm done

Seriously, there are loads of IT/tech jobs that aren't IT support monkey. It might sound great to you now but it's not a career I'd recommend - especially to those with a bit of nouse. You can do better I'm sure.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Seriously, there are loads of IT/tech jobs that aren't IT support monkey. It might sound great to you now but it's not a career I'd recommend - especially to those with a bit of nouse. You can do better I'm sure.
I don't necessarily want to be the typical IT support monkey - the specific job I was/am looking at is called Technical Quality Manager. Basically like an IT monkey BUT is on site for a huge corporation sorting major issues, not just "switch on and off" issues. Pros are lots of travel, can basically live anywhere in the world because you have to travel to onsite location and change location every 6-8 months anyway, good pay, its in the field I want. Only cons are its a fairly stressful job - if the whole system goes down and you're responsible ....
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:08 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Upcycling at it's finest.

Hmmm I guess James has first dibs on the beer fridge...amazingly for a great big canadian house we have a fricken teeny tiny fridge which has that coating which also means it repels magnets! Useless! So I do need a fridge for the beer/wine that I can't currently consume!
Don't worry.

You eat for two and I'll have the fridge and drink for two :-)

Lively on here tonight.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lively on here tonight.
As it should be
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:09 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Quite. Our adolescent would clearly have failed the Marshmallow Test.
Second time I've heard that tonight. First time was in connection with 4yr olds and at the PTA meeting.

Mmmm marshmallows... Wanders off to cupboard
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:10 am
Dive Bar Drunk

I don't necessarily want to be the typical IT support monkey - the specific job I was/am looking at is called Technical Quality Manager. Basically like an IT monkey BUT is on site for a huge corporation sorting major issues, not just "switch on and off" issues. Pros are lots of travel, can basically live anywhere in the world because you have to travel to onsite location and change location every 6-8 months anyway, good pay, its in the field I want. Only cons are its a fairly stressful job - if the whole system goes down and you're responsible ....
These Support roles you can end up on call a lot.

My mate is actually third level now. When the first guy can't solve it and the second guy can't solve it he get's the call.

He's paid well for covering the emergency but being on call can be a whole weekend of no booze.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

These Support roles you can end up on call a lot.

My mate is actually third level now. When the first guy can't solve it and the second guy can't solve it he get's the call.

He's paid well for covering the emergency but being on call can be a whole weekend of no booze.
True... But on call pay
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:12 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Don't worry.

You eat for two and I'll have the fridge and drink for two :-)

Lively on here tonight.
I have a lifetime ahead come March or sometime I guess. Not that I would advocate excessive drinking or such like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.