Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Feb 8th 2019, 2:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
We've been watching Border Town and have watched most of Season 1 which was dubbed into english on Netflix Canada. ....
Just in case you missed my earlier response.....
Originally Posted by BristolUK
Subtitled all the way through for me.

I started to watch something a couple of weeks ago that was dubbed. Dogs of Berlin. I didn't like it and the dubbing didn't help so gave up. But then I made a "discovery" (a discovery to me anyhow).

I had always assumed that something on Netflix not English language was available with English subtitles or you could remove them - just as something in English you could choose English subtitles as well.

I hadn't changed any of the settings when DoB started so I assumed it was dubbed only. A week or so after, something else was dubbed too. So I played with the settings. Previously I've only been aware of them on the top right of the screen but there were some top left. And they included options for original language or dubbed to English.

So, what began as dubbed to English for me, I changed to original and English subs.

In addition, yesterday I had to sign in for the first time in over a year. Twice.

It could be that something has been resetting for some unknown reason and you might be able to change it back.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 6:41 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I've recommended this before, but the best Sci Fi show ever is now streaming all three seasons on Amazon Prime. Season 4 (filmed in Toronto) drops later this year.

Old Feb 9th 2019, 3:23 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I'm up to episode 6 of 8 watching this show on Netflix and it is very good. It's a co production between BBC2 and Netflix. The lead actress is amazing.

Old Feb 11th 2019, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Apols if someone has mentioned this before (the site jumps around too much to make it possible to read back very far) but I am currently watching the marvellous Mrs Maisel, courtesy of child2’s amazon prime account. It’s pretty good but what has really entertained me is when you press pause you get thumbnails of the actors in that scene, with their name and character name. Removes one whole step in the ‘what were they in?’ Googleathon! My mind is blown.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 11:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Season two of The Break (La trêve)had to wait until I finished the latest season of Bordertown (Sorjonen) which was really good.
Some weird motives and methods for killing in the Scandi shows.

I think I prefer season two of The Break to the first.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Season two of The Break (La trêve)had to wait until I finished the latest season of Bordertown (Sorjonen) which was really good.
Some weird motives and methods for killing in the Scandi shows.

I think I prefer season two of The Break to the first.
We are heading into episode 6 of S2 of Bordertown and have watched both seasons of The Break. In both the lead detective hears voices and sees people others don't. Yes, agreed strange motives in Bordertown. The Break is very bleak and so Belgian.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 6:23 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The Widow, Prime programme but also on ITV in the UK, set ib the DRC. All episodes ae available, seems a very good series.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

PETEMJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I am watching the The Break season 2 and find it hard going, partly because i am half deaf and put on the closed captions to help. The problem is that the text on the sreen doesn't match the spoken English, it is approximately the same but different enough to be offputting.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 12:58 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by PETEMJ
I am watching the The Break season 2 and find it hard going, partly because i am half deaf and put on the closed captions to help. The problem is that the text on the sreen doesn't match the spoken English, it is approximately the same but different enough to be offputting.
I can understand that. I have seen something in English with English subtitles that did match the spoken English and it's off-putting.

Assuming you are watching on Netflix, you could select French/original audio and English subtitles. Click icon top right. Although English audio is available for some Netflix shows, unless it's been made in English (like the Norsemen series) I watch everything in original language with English subs.

You could try that and not be put off because you wouldn't know of the differences.

Old Mar 7th 2019, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

PETEMJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I can understand that. I have seen something in English with English subtitles that did match the spoken English and it's off-putting.

Assuming you are watching on Netflix, you could select French/original audio and English subtitles. Click icon top right. Although English audio is available for some Netflix shows, unless it's been made in English (like the Norsemen series) I watch everything in original language with English subs.

You could try that and not be put off because you wouldn't know of the differences.
I will try that but i know a little French from living in Montreal for 15 years so that might be even more confusing.
We switched over to watching "The Widow" on Amazon Prime which is really good so far.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 1:46 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by PETEMJ
I will try that but i know a little French from living in Montreal for 15 years so that might be even more confusing..
Montreal French is quite different to European French. Might make it even worse Definitely worth trying though.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 1:51 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

This looks rather good. (Coming to Amazon Prime in May)
Old Mar 13th 2019, 1:21 am
Oscar nominated

The new Ricky Gervais series, After Life, on Netflix.

First two episodes so far. I feel like binge watching it but I want to savour it.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 11:57 am
Slightly Canadian

The new Ricky Gervais series, After Life, on Netflix.

First two episodes so far. I feel like binge watching it but I want to savour it.
The Mrs has just binged this and raves about it.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The Mrs has just binged this and raves about it.
I read the reviews in the Guardian and they found the first episode or two hard going and very raw I gather but suggested that viewers stick with it.

I'll probably give it a go.

I liked him in the Office and Extras but after that he got quite an inflated ego. Sort of like James Corden

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.