Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute
Default First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

I arrived in Canada back in July. I have loved it here from the get go. Yes I get annoyed at a few things, like we are totally ripped off here on certain items, the TV is total rubbish (thank goodness iPlayer is now available here) and the 401 makes the M25 look like a quiet country road full of polite thoughtful people, but I know that this place is way better than the country I was born in and lived in for 43 years. Going back at Christmas totally confirmed this.

England is a DREARY OVERPRICED CHAV INFESTED DUMP.

I saw the sun for about 10 minutes for the whole of the week I was there. I was gobsmacked at how small my friends houses felt after getting used to sizes here. The aggression and general look on people's faces was depressing. I had a group of drunken chavs pick a fight with me on Christmas day. Everywhere looked a bit run down and worn out. Lots of stuff was expensive, and especially houses still. Even villages that I once thought were cute just looked grim.

The only thing I miss about the UK is the wonderful friends and family I have left behind, but with time, hard work and patience, I will develop a good social network here.

Basically, I couldn't wait to get home...Canada.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of
Default Re: First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Social network! You're sounding Canadian already!!! I did the same thing when I first went out - went home for my first Christmas and was rather disillusioned. I warn you though, after a couple of years of trying to make Canadian friends, the size of the houses may become less important to you than the quality of your "social network". I found Canadians to be an unusual bunch and at times - many times - pretty boring. You can't beat the occasional square go with a squad of Chav's!

All the best for the year ahead.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear

I'm a Swede, not a Brit. I did live in UK for almost 5 years and honestly do not want to set foot there again ever.

Trying to explain Chavs to anyone not having lived in UK is impossible. Sadly the chav culture is now starting to appear in Sweden.

Can't wait to get home to Canada.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

I arrived in Canada back in July. I have loved it here from the get go. Yes I get annoyed at a few things, like we are totally ripped off here on certain items, the TV is total rubbish (thank goodness iPlayer is now available here) and the 401 makes the M25 look like a quiet country road full of polite thoughtful people, but I know that this place is way better than the country I was born in and lived in for 43 years. Going back at Christmas totally confirmed this.

I saw the sun for about 10 minutes for the whole of the week I was there. I was gobsmacked at how small my friends houses felt after getting used to sizes here. The aggression and general look on people's faces was depressing. I had a group of drunken chavs pick a fight with me on Christmas day. Everywhere looked a bit run down and worn out. Lots of stuff was expensive, and especially houses still. Even villages that I once thought were cute just looked grim.

The only thing I miss about the UK is the wonderful friends and family I have left behind, but with time, hard work and patience, I will develop a good social network here.

Basically, I couldn't wait to get home...Canada.
Maybe if you lived in an affluent area things would look different in the UK ??
remember if the houses were the same size as Canadian homes, they would cost way too much for most people to afford. sounds like your enjoying your time in canada, although you have only been there 10 mins. but seriously the UK has great areas and homes just sounds like you did'nt live in one of them..
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clay
remember if the houses were the same size as Canadian homes, they would cost way too much for most people to afford. sounds like your enjoying your time in canada, although you have only been there 10 mins. but seriously the UK has great areas and homes just sounds like you did'nt live in one of them..
I lived in Hove with houses on my street going for more than 1.5 million, and I was staying in a wealthy village in West Sussex, one of the richest places in the UK. The truth is, I actually dislike snobs more than Chavs.

I agree that Canadians are an unusual bunch, and that if I just look to make friends with locals, I will really have my work cut out for me...thankfully there are vast hoards of ex-pats over here, and I think that combining that with joining various local organisations will provide enough in the long term.

I will never have the quality or quantity of social life I had in the UK, but the truth is, if I hadn't left, my liver would have packed up before long!!! I now fancy a less hectic/pub orientated way of meeting people, and look forward to entertaining in homes etc.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to say but that has nothing to do with anything.

The reason why Britain and Sweden are dumps has to do with mentality. I have experience of living in mansions and cottages. Big cities and rural areas. Affluent and not so affluent. Still a dump anyway I look at it.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

you must have lived a strange lifestyle fellas.... LMAO...
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

I lived in Hove with houses on my street going for more than 1.5 million, and I was staying in a wealthy village in West Sussex, one of the richest places in the UK. The truth is, I actually dislike snobs more than Chavs.

I agree that Canadians are an unusual bunch, and that if I just look to make friends with locals, I will really have my work cut out for me...thankfully there are vast hoards of ex-pats over here, and I think that combining that with joining various local organisations will provide enough in the long term.

I will never have the quality or quantity of social life I had in the UK, but the truth is, if I hadn't left, my liver would have packed up before long!!! I now fancy a less hectic/pub orientated way of meeting people, and look forward to entertaining in homes etc.

1.5 million ?? Wow.. the way you describe it sounds like a run down council estate... lol...
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

The truth is, I actually dislike snobs more than Chavs.
hear hear!

I can honestly say I do not get this part at all. I have more friends in Toronto than here. I find it extremely easy to make friends in Canada. Few are expats, some are first generation but most are born Canadians generations back.

Almost all have turned in to really good friends I today call my extended family.

I had neither quality nor quantity of social life in UK still I had friends and colleagues dating back to decades before I moved there. I found most brits snobs (yes, affluent cities and areas with old money and those with new money trying to make it look like old money).I hated the gender segregation not to mention the racism. The unemployed screaming at the polish busdrivers for coming over and taking their jobs, yet non of the british born want those jobs. The chavs picking a fight just because you glanced up from a news paper.

Then again, my need for a social life is very limited. I get enough of it through my work so when I am at home, that's where I want to be, at home. On the couch, with the remote, zapping.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Sorry to say but that has nothing to do with anything.

The reason why Britain and Sweden are dumps has to do with mentality. I have experience of living in mansions and cottages. Big cities and rural areas. Affluent and not so affluent. Still a dump anyway I look at it.
I'm with you there buddy...the English have a crap attitude, I always felt like I was trapped by the way people were...always looking to put others down who want to get on and do stuff with their lives...the snobs from the top and the chavs from the bottom. Canadians might be a bit boring, but they're a pretty positive and fair-minded bunch, and I'd rather live in a country with people like that and maybe have a few less riotous sessions down the pub.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

You got a canadian way of talking after only 6 months " Buddy " I'm sure you will be ok in Canada.... English are crap, canadians a bit boring.... but just stay outta the pub and you will be fine...
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

You got a canadian way of talking after only 6 months " Buddy " I'm sure you will be ok in Canada.... English are crap, canadians a bit boring.... but just stay outta the pub and you will be fine...
I actually find myself saying tomaaatoe juice on the plane as it's the only way I get understood! I've lived in Australia, the US, and in so many different parts of the UK that I find my accents and speech do start to morph quite quickly to suit the surroundings, I also think having a slightly off-posh southern english accent (Philip Schofield - like) is a very corruptable accent, and easily starts to take on an Aussie or north american tilt.

Who I am and what I believe...that is not so easily corrupted!
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

I made new mates very easy just the local rugby club and we goto the pub and i can defo say i like hanging out with the canadians more then my mates in England
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:42 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you there buddy...the English have a crap attitude, I always felt like I was trapped by the way people were...always looking to put others down who want to get on and do stuff with their lives...the snobs from the top and the chavs from the bottom. Canadians might be a bit boring, but they're a pretty positive and fair-minded bunch, and I'd rather live in a country with people like that and maybe have a few less riotous sessions down the pub.
I think this says more about you than English society as a whole.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I think this says more about you than English society as a whole.
Of course, you're right, I'm the first person on the planet to notice the fact that Britain is divided by class

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.