Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Originally Posted by TheBear
Of course, you're right, I'm the first person on the planet to notice the fact that Britain is divided by class
e x a c t l y!

And to the public, at least how it's been portrayed in Sweden, Britain did away with the class society and treated everyone equal, welcomed the immigrants with open arms and had no racism.

Yeah right.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

This thing about building a bar in your basement, I don't get it. I remember the first time somebody invited me down to their "bar"! I though to myself, no thanks! I've seen silence of the lambs. Ok then, why don't we sit under my garage door? You're having a laugh aren't you! Alright then we'll go to to the local tavern. The lad I'm with asks for a separate tab because my pint costs 10cents more than his and the girl behind the bar wants an insane tip because she likes to wobble her chest back and forth!

Living near downtown T.O. is different of course, there's plenty there to do but like so many other areas in the GTA, there's a lack of a hub for people to go to once in a while to have a good time. The U.K. has many faults of course but I really missed being able to go out for a few Shandy's and some dinner in the town.

Of course, I'm exaggerating a bit here. I met many good Canadians of whom I'm still friends with today and some expats too - although I found none more jealous and deliberately unhelpful than many expats which I encountered during my time out there.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
This thing about building a bar in your basement, I don't get it. I remember the first time somebody invited me down to their "bar"! I though to myself, no thanks! I've seen silence of the lambs. Ok then, why don't we sit under my garage door? You're having a laugh aren't you! Alright then we'll go to to the local tavern. The lad I'm with asks for a separate tab because my pint costs 10cents more than his and the girl behind the bar wants an insane tip because she likes to wobble her chest back and forth!

Living near downtown T.O. is different of course, there's plenty there to do but like so many other areas in the GTA, there's a lack of a hub for people to go to once in a while to have a good time. The U.K. has many faults of course but I really missed being able to go out for a few Shandy's and some dinner in the town.

Of course, I'm exaggerating a bit here. I met many good Canadians of whom I'm still friends with today and some expats too - although I found none more jealous and deliberately unhelpful than many expats which I encountered during my time out there.
The words of my wife when she came to England wow you guys have so many pubs and basically thinks we are a drunk nation
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

...and the girl behind the bar wants an insane tip because she likes to wobble her chest back and forth!
Works for me seriously, after a week of grumpy munters slinging badly cooked slop in front of me back in the UK, I'm happy to cough up my 15% for hot totty dishing up decent grub!
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

This thing about building a bar in your basement, I don't get it. I remember the first time somebody invited me down to their "bar"! I though to myself, no thanks! I've seen silence of the lambs. Ok then, why don't we sit under my garage door?
I read that and thought "wow, I really am Canadian".
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 12:48 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I like England. I like the English. I have however been unhappy at times if visiting dodgy areas with my husband. His Canadian accent is very pronounced, and people stare and make me feel very uncomfortable. He being male, is oblivious. I would be frightened to live in England now, I would be constantly waiting for some form of unexpected aggression. I think it's so sad. Maybe this is just a short and passing phase.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I think you guys are generalising a bit too much here!

Yes there are chavs in the UK that like nothing better than a bit of trouble and yes house prices are inflated...

I too come from West Sussex and loved the country, have some lovely friends and miss the whole lot terribly at times. But...

...in Canada, my part anyway, the kids use weed, there are very run down areas and the Canadians do have a different mentality and outlook on life which takes some getting used to.

So I would say it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other really if I'm honest. I'm loving the space around me here which granted was lacking in the UK and enjoying the adventure but to write off the UK is a bit harsh
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 1:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

England is a DREARY OVERPRICED CHAV INFESTED DUMP.
Barrie's cheaper. I'll give you that.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I think you guys are generalising a bit too much here!

Yes there are chavs in the UK that like nothing better than a bit of trouble and yes house prices are inflated...

I too come from West Sussex and loved the country, have some lovely friends and miss the whole lot terribly at times. But...

...in Canada, my part anyway, the kids use weed, there are very run down areas and the Canadians do have a different mentality and outlook on life which takes some getting used to.

So I would say it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other really if I'm honest. I'm loving the space around me here which granted was lacking in the UK and enjoying the adventure but to write off the UK is a bit harsh
Exactly.. I think the OP is still looking through rose tinted specs...
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 1:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clay
Exactly.. I think the OP is still looking through rose tinted specs...
The joke is that he's living in Barrie. Yesterday we were in Detroit, surrounded by burned out buildings, discussing the need to get groceries today:

"It'd save a drive if we went into the Costco in Barrie" I said

there was a pause

"Barrie, are you really up for that?"

We're undecided, we'll be near that Costco later but there are so many rednecks, so many people in pyjamas, it's so like peopleofwalmart that, to be safe, we may go to Brampton instead.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

I arrived in Canada back in July. I have loved it here from the get go. Yes I get annoyed at a few things, like we are totally ripped off here on certain items, the TV is total rubbish (thank goodness iPlayer is now available here) and the 401 makes the M25 look like a quiet country road full of polite thoughtful people, but I know that this place is way better than the country I was born in and lived in for 43 years. Going back at Christmas totally confirmed this.

England is a DREARY OVERPRICED CHAV INFESTED DUMP.

I saw the sun for about 10 minutes for the whole of the week I was there. I was gobsmacked at how small my friends houses felt after getting used to sizes here. The aggression and general look on people's faces was depressing. I had a group of drunken chavs pick a fight with me on Christmas day. Everywhere looked a bit run down and worn out. Lots of stuff was expensive, and especially houses still. Even villages that I once thought were cute just looked grim.

The only thing I miss about the UK is the wonderful friends and family I have left behind, but with time, hard work and patience, I will develop a good social network here.

Basically, I couldn't wait to get home...Canada.
You may not like the UK that much but let's not forget, it provided you with an education and an income and the relevant experience to get you into Canada. I do tire of people knocking the UK in the way they do and perhaps forgetting what it has done for them.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by laser558
You may not like the UK that much but let's not forget, it provided you with an education and an income and the relevant experience to get you into Canada. I do tire of people knocking the UK in the way they do and perhaps forgetting what it has done for them.
And your reasons for moving was.....?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by YYZlover
We are in the immigration process, we like what we saw on our two trips to Canada, BUT... we have a good life in the UK, big house, BMW, good jobs etc..

Whats annoying is when people move over and slate the UK .. especially after only being in their new country 2 mins.... comparrisons can be made after, say.. five years, when you really know whats what... some of the posts look like they have been posted by a 12 year old....
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by clay
We are in the immigration process, we like what we saw on our two trips to Canada, BUT... we have a good life in the UK, big house, BMW, good jobs etc..
Then I don't understand why you move.

Whats annoying is when people move over and slate the UK .. especially after only being in their new country 2 mins.... comparrisons can be made after, say.. five years, when you really know whats what... some of the posts look like they have been posted by a 12 year old....
What's annoying is when people move over for reasons of gaining a better life, get settled in and then get pissed off at others for slating UK (or wherever the home country originally was). That to me is the behavior of a 12 y/o.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Because I could. It could equally have been anywhere in the UK but I wanted to experience something a little further afield. It certainly wasn't because I don't like the UK, in fact, I still have property there and I probably will share my time between Canada and the UK. I will never forget what living in the UK enabled me to do. It provided me with a good education, a reasonably paid job and the experience to be able to submit a skilled worker application to get me into Canada. I will always be grateful to the UK for that and perhaps those UK knockers should just stop and appreciate what it has given them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.