Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all
Default Re: First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

I don't understand a word your saying mate..
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laser558
Because I could. It could equally have been anywhere in the UK but I wanted to experience something a little further afield. It certainly wasn't because I don't like the UK, in fact, I still have property there and I probably will share my time between Canada and the UK. I will never forget what living in the UK enabled me to do. It provided me with a good education, a reasonably paid job and the experience to be able to submit a skilled worker application to get me into Canada. I will always be grateful to the UK for that and perhaps those UK knockers should just stop and appreciate what it has given them.
Well, I got neither of that in Sweden where I grew up and live. Nor did I get it in UK. But it does look like I'll be getting an education in Canada. :-)
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

I'm moving on...said what I wanted, I left the UK for the very reasons I saw when I went back. I moved to Canada for the very reasons that I experience while living here. I'm allowed to the dislike the UK, I do...enough said.

For those who slag off Barrie, you're right. it's a complete tip, please don't change your views, please stay away.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Well, I got neither of that in Sweden where I grew up and live. Nor did I get it in UK. But it does look like I'll be getting an education in Canada. :-)
Then I think you were unfortunate but it's nice to know that Canada is able to do that for you. Please don't get me wrong, I do love my little bit of Canada, I really do and yes, life is different but that's the point, to experience something different but I refuse to knock the UK. It has problems, of course, like any other country, including Canada. I am sure there is no such thing as a Utopian area to live and if there were, it might be a bit boring.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheBear
I'm moving on...said what I wanted, I left the UK for the very reasons I saw when I went back. I moved to Canada for the very reasons that I experience while living here. I'm allowed to the dislike the UK, I do...enough said.

For those who slag off Barrie, you're right. it's a complete tip, please don't change your views, please stay away.
Yes, of course you are entitled to your opinions but I notice that you applied under the skilled worker route and so remember the UK provided you with the skills to make the application initially.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Then I think you were unfortunate but it's nice to know that Canada is able to do that for you. Please don't get me wrong, I do love my little bit of Canada, I really do and yes, life is different but that's the point, to experience something different but I refuse to knock the UK. It has problems, of course, like any other country, including Canada. I am sure there is no such thing as a Utopian area to live and if there were, it might be a bit boring.
Each country has their issues, true. For me Canada was the first place on the planet where I felt I fit in, I belong. It still feels that way. When I'm in Toronto, everything is right. When I'm in Europe, everything is wrong. I have friends who have moved to Sweden from another country and feel this is their home. This is where they fit in. And that is fine. I don't have a problem with that.

I do have a problem with being told I have no right to slate either country I have lived in. If none of them made me feel like a productive and accepted human being, should I lie and pretend everything is just fine?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Each country has their issues, true. For me Canada was the first place on the planet where I felt I fit in, I belong. It still feels that way. When I'm in Toronto, everything is right. When I'm in Europe, everything is wrong. I have friends who have moved to Sweden from another country and feel this is their home. This is where they fit in. And that is fine. I don't have a problem with that.

I do have a problem with being told I have no right to slate either country I have lived in. If none of them made me feel like a productive and accepted human being, should I lie and pretend everything is just fine?
I don't think anyone is doing that. What I am simply saying, is remember what your original country or countries did for you. You don't say how you are able to make your move to Canada, for example, skilled worker route. I can only assume you must have got some skills and experience from somewhere in order to make the move, unless you are going via the spousal route. Perhaps you could let us know.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perhaps you could let us know.
Student route.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

how did you become a student, with as you stated " little education " in Sweden and the UK ?? well done with that one though....
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 4:44 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I think you guys are generalising a bit too much here!

Yes there are chavs in the UK that like nothing better than a bit of trouble and yes house prices are inflated...

...in Canada, my part anyway, the kids use weed, there are very run down areas
Yeh But !

The OP did not go to a run down area and was actually stating that the better areas now look run down.

I agree you can go visit Jan n Finch or River Street n Gerrard, Toronto and see crappy area's, like Moss Side, Manshitster....but that's not what the OP did.

So don't get confused with run down Canada and 1.5m houses in the UK.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 4:48 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I get annoyed at a few things, like we are totally ripped off here on certain items, the TV is total rubbish (thank goodness iPlayer is now available here) and the 401 makes the M25 look like a quiet country road full of polite thoughtful people...
So, basically, you're the sort of person that will have a good whine at anything that doesn't quite suit you.

England is a DREARY OVERPRICED CHAV INFESTED DUMP.
Are you trying to justify your move here?

I saw the sun for about 10 minutes for the whole of the week I was there. I was gobsmacked at how small my friends houses felt after getting used to sizes here.
Canada. The land of sun and square footage. Excellent reasons to emigrate.

I had a group of drunken chavs pick a fight with me on Christmas day.
Does this merely serve to illustrate the nature of pubs you frequent, or the attitude you outwardly present?

Everywhere looked a bit run down and worn out.
Whereas Canada is freshly polished and without decay?

Lots of stuff was expensive, and especially houses still.
And lots of stuff here isn't expensive? Have you purchased cheese, alcohol or car insurance yet?

I lived in Hove with houses on my street going for more than 1.5 million, and I was staying in a wealthy village in West Sussex, one of the richest places in the UK. The truth is, I actually dislike snobs more than Chavs.
By your reasoning someone with a house you apparently can't afford is a snob?

I agree that Canadians are an unusual bunch, and that if I just look to make friends with locals, I will really have my work cut out for me...
I really can't imagine why that would be the case.

thankfully there are vast hoards of ex-pats over here, and I think that combining that with joining various local organisations will provide enough in the long term.
Genius! Emigrate away from snobs and chavs to find Brits in a different country to befriend.

I will never have the quality or quantity of social life I had in the UK
Changing your attitude might help.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 5:04 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Same with me....having left school in the early 80s, uni was not even a realistic option. Here I was easily able to gain entry to uni and earned a degree. To contrast the two nations, the uk was an attitude of don't bother, while here it was nothing but encouragement and sound advice. The uk of the 80s had a great way of destroying optimism and positivity....never encountered that here.

To be honest, it's swings and roundabouts. Comparing Vancouver to the major areas I lived in the uk, Vancouver offers way more, in terms of standard of living. Comparing small towns does not fair as well. I don't miss the English attitude, at least where I was from and the pub being the centre of the universe. I also experienced more violence and hatred in the uk....and that's speaking as a copper.

I think we tend to view places from the perspective of where we are from and where are and how well one suits vs the other. Generalizations are bound to follow.

Last edited by Boy d; Jan 2nd 2012 at 5:12 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 5:16 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Yeh But !

The OP did not go to a run down area and was actually stating that the better areas now look run down.

I agree you can go visit Jan n Finch or River Street n Gerrard, Toronto and see crappy area's, like Moss Side, Manshitster....but that's not what the OP did.

So don't get confused with run down Canada and 1.5m houses in the UK.
Hey, I'm a manc......but sadly true. I have never experienced the degree of bad areas in Manchester than here of toronto for that matter.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 5:32 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Not a Brit, but I def. think there's a class system over there, based on visits over the years and brief stints of living there. (2 years). It's the main reason why I would not choose to live there permanently, too much trying to keep people in boxes for me. A lot about it is really appealing, though.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jan 2nd 2012 at 5:39 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 5:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I went back in April last year and had the opposite reaction. It was idylic and made me question my entire reasons for emigrating and even now I can't think of a good reason to be here. Nothing against Canada, but I really can't see myself staying here beyond citizenship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.