Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Eurovision Song Contest.

Eurovision Song Contest.

Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eurovision Song Contest.

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
We are big fans of Eurovision!

Love the sarcasm from Graham Norton and Terry Wogan before him, lol.

We usually print out big score sheets and comment on them all as they "perform".

I'll need to look into how we are going to watch it this year. It's a lot of fun, don't knock it till you've tried it

Just reminded me of my favourite Euro song in years:

She should have won!
You do this sober?
Old Mar 19th 2013, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I thought people only watched Eurovision because it is so awful, it's a revelation to me that the music is even considered.
Awful ... mmm - well I will leave it there. There are so many layers to Eurovision and some of the songs are awful, but some are pretty amazing. Also culturally it very entertaining. Those Russian Grannies last year - wow.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You do this sober?
Many people do - you either love it ... or have no interest in it , which is fine !
Old Mar 19th 2013, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shard
Never really liked Eurovision, made worse by the banal commentary of Wogan (thankfully now put out to pastur) but, it seems even less relevant now that there are so many reality talent contests on television and so many awards show. Indeed television in general is highly highly overrated.
Wow o wow - did you just place Eurovision alongside reality trash.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I always watch the Eurovision every year, with my parents on Skype and we discuss the song etc. it's a lot of fun, though the fact it's on "earlier" due to the time difference definitely makes the mood a bit different!

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
I also wondered how you get your Eurovision fix if you live in the Tdot area. I am looking to but one of those Sat boxes.
It still surprises me that no Canadian channels have picked it up - in fact I emailed BBC Canada telling them they should show it, but they never even bothered to reply to my email. This year I'll probably be using Tunlr with the live BBC1 feed, since that seems like a decent free solution. In previous years I just used the my-private-network VPN.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I always watch the Eurovision every year, with my parents on Skype and we discuss the song etc. it's a lot of fun, though the fact it's on "earlier" due to the time difference definitely makes the mood a bit different!

It still surprises me that no Canadian channels have picked it up - in fact I emailed BBC Canada telling them they should show it, but they never even bothered to reply to my email. This year I'll probably be using Tunlr with the live BBC1 feed, since that seems like a decent free solution. In previous years I just used the my-private-network VPN.
Cos its shit, thats why no Canadian channels carry it
There again we could have a Canadian version and each Province & Territory enters a song if we are feeling left out of this.
Are the UK now insisting on that our participants now have to be over 55 or something? What happened to the good old days with Bucks Fizz, Lulu, Clodagh Rogers and Cliff Richard.
For those interested here is the UKs record at Eurovision since 1957.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...n_Song_Contest
Old Mar 20th 2013, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Am I having a complete "woosh" moment here with this thread going completely over my head

Please tell me this is all thoroughly tongue in cheek and I am looking like a twat for thinking that there are grown adults waving pretend scorecards and complaining because it isnt on telly in Canada
Old Mar 20th 2013, 4:21 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Just as well. I prefer to keep Canadian TV as the bastion of high quality that it is world renowned for.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
There again we could have a Canadian version and each Province & Territory enters a song if we are feeling left out of this.
Are the UK now insisting on that our participants now have to be over 55 or something? What happened to the good old days with Bucks Fizz, Lulu, Clodagh Rogers and Cliff Richard.
For those interested here is the UKs record at Eurovision since 1957.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...n_Song_Contest
Logically, the number of people who watch it around the world and the length of time it has been running means it can't be shit! In your opinion (one I more often than not respect, it can be.)

Its not just about our participating - it is so much more, so we don't win these days, hardly surprising when you have many of the eastern European countries voting for each other.

As I said earlier - you either get it or you don't.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nldfc
Am I having a complete "woosh" moment here with this thread going completely over my head

Please tell me this is all thoroughly tongue in cheek and I am looking like a twat for thinking that there are grown adults waving pretend scorecards and complaining because it isnt on telly in Canada
Whose complaining - it was a polite question. Also Eurovision knocks spots off every reality singing contest that tv channels across the world seem to stream all the time.

Also Eurovision does not destroy people in the same way X Factor does.

Long Live Eurovision !

Sure you could never look like a ....
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Whose complaining - it was a polite question. Also Eurovision knocks spots off every reality singing contest that tv channels across the world seem to stream all the time.

Long Live Eurovision !

Each to their own

Post #20 was a complaint to the BBC unless I misread it
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nldfc
Each to their own

Post #20 was a complaint to the BBC unless I misread it
Don't think it was a complaint, more of a surprise that the poster did not get a reply from CBC.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:52 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Long Live Eurovision !

Are you sure? shame can be crippling.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:53 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think it was a complaint, more of a surprise that the poster did not get a reply from CBC.

BBC not CBC
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bats
BBC not CBC
Ah BBC Canada - did not know there was such a thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.