Election 2021

Old Aug 31st 2021, 12:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election 2021

Originally Posted by caretaker
Taleeb flipped at least 21 homes since 2005, so claiming he isn't a speculator is going to get harder.
"According to documents obtained by NEWS 1130, Noormohamed has sold at least 42 properties within Metro Vancouver within the last 17 years, holding 30 of them for less than two years. And the tech executive has made a tidy profit along the way, making $4.9 million in the process, a remarkable $3.7 million of which he’s bagged in the last six years."
https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/08...d-real-estate/
Looks like this news has kept the Canada reddit busy today, almost to 1,000 replies.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comm...d_at_least_21/

Who was in charge in 1996?

CRA did a secret study back then, only released recently, but did take CRA 5 years to release the information to the reporter.

"The documents confirm the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) knew 25 years ago that wealth migration and foreign money were playing a vast role in Vancouver’s luxury housing market, and that government millionaire migration schemes appeared connected to systematic tax abuse, with participants declaring refugee-level incomes."

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 31st 2021 at 1:06 am.
Old Aug 31st 2021, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, CPC loves Adolf Hitler. Proof? They used a 14-word tweet. Need I say more?

Always assumed Liberal supporters would be targeting opposition candidates right about now and then escalating their attacks, but this is quite something. Where do you go from “coded messages of support to Hitler”? This guy is a professor at UofT. His institution must be SO proud.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 4:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

How the Liberals didn't think this stuff would come out when they chose a house flipper as a candidate to run in one of the worst effected city's, of course its likely a very Liberal stronghold and the voters there wont care, but this isn't the type of person who has any interest in fixing the housing problems, those who benefit from it do not want to change it.

So he is a house flipper, and he has vested interest in a business with his parents of buying and flipping homes.

He was also asked if he ever declared as primary residence for tax purpose, well he was asked 3 times but didn't answer, so maybe he also fibbed on his taxes, maybe a reporter will look into that next.

Old Sep 1st 2021, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

This riding is a weird one, no knowing which way it will go.

It's relatively new ................. Jody was the first candidate to run in Vancouver-Granville's new designation.

So it includes neighbourhoods that in the past have voted PC, Liberal and NDP.

I have a feeling that Jody was such a star locally that she would have been voted in if she had run for the NDP or Greens!

I have no idea which way I'm going to vote, except it won't be PC and certainly not for this guy. I do tend to vote for a candidate who will be good for the riding, not for the party/

But I've also learnt over the almost 60 years that I have watched and voted in elections that one does not believe what is stated in platforms, they're always pipe dreams or what the strategists think the voters wanted.

I've never not voted when I have been eligible to do so, at what ever level the election is at.

Sometimes strategically, very occasionally deliberately a protest vote.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 5:12 am
Account Closed

I can't vote, but I know our riding will go conservative, 0 doubt.

Not so hot economic news is never good before an election if your the party in charge.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-eco...124812942.html

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 1st 2021 at 5:14 am.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 12:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing the posts above I realize that I don't know anything about the politics in this constituency. I don't know who the local MP or MPP is nor which party he or she represents. We've been here seven or eight years. There was an election and the NDP candidate came to the door, he seemed affable but I didn't vote and don't know if he won. I'm not sure if that was a Federal or Provincial election. A few local properties have signs for the neo-fascist candidate but they may be ironic.

As an immigrant, and a refugee from Thatcher, I'm obliged to hate the Tories but, in truth, it doesn't matter to me personally who gets elected in Canada any more or less than who gets elected in New Zealand. It's distasteful to think that a socially regressive government might be elected but, in practice, if it did and I wanted an abortion, I could go to the UK.

Bit like iced hockey really, some people care but I don't know the people who do.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 1:54 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's distasteful to think that a socially regressive government might be elected
Bernier is in Regina today, Moose Jaw tomorrow, then up through some farming towns. We've had politicians from Quebec come here, find nobody waiting for them at the airport, and get back on the plane before, but I think he'll find a few fans who think the tories are too soft. The guy in my riding is Andrew Scheer, but you'd have to pay me big money to vote for him.

Old Sep 1st 2021, 2:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Bernier is in Regina today, Moose Jaw tomorrow, then up through some farming towns. We've had politicians from Quebec come here, find nobody waiting for them at the airport, and get back on the plane before, but I think he'll find a few fans who think the tories are too soft. The guy in my riding is Andrew Scheer, but you'd have to pay me big money to vote for him.
A few years ago there was a rash of signs around Guelph "Canada has no abortion law". I drove past them for a week or so wondering why not a sign "Canada has no third official language" or "Canadian municipalities don't all have household rubbish collection" before I realized it was a complaint. Between those signs and the Bernier ones now I suppose there is a significant undercurrent of batshittery around here. Fortunately there hasn't been a need to speak to anyone beyond "at least you don't have to shovel it".
Old Sep 1st 2021, 2:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A few years ago there was a rash of signs around Guelph "Canada has no abortion law". I drove past them for a week or so wondering why not a sign "Canada has no third official language" or "Canadian municipalities don't all have household rubbish collection" before I realized it was a complaint. Between those signs and the Bernier ones now I suppose there is a significant undercurrent of batshittery around here. Fortunately there hasn't been a need to speak to anyone beyond "at least you don't have to shovel it".
Southern Alberta highways sport quite a few big anti-abortion signs but I don't know if they'd vote for a Quebecer unless they saw him descend from heaven. I haven't been getting any election crap in the mailbox yet, but it can't be far away.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 3:01 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a tool CBC calls their Vote Compass, intended to show which party you align with:
https://votecompass.cbc.ca/canada

And some more electioneering:
https://www.insauga.com/liberals-ndp...eral-election/

Usually end up around this area on these sorts of things.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

If we set aside corruption, lying, ethical issues, virtue-signaling and incompetence aside and just focus on the economic policy, this reincarnation of the Liberal Party has shifted left to be practically indistinguishable from NDP. O'Toole's CPC shifted left towards the centre and, possibly, beyond. On social issues I am struggling to see any daylight between the three mainstream parties.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

Oh Beaverton might be satire but its accurate in some ways. "Liberals announce election platform of things they could have easily done before now."
Old Sep 2nd 2021, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

but, in truth, it doesn't matter to me personally who gets elected in Canada any more or less than who gets elected in New Zealand. It's distasteful to think that a socially regressive government might be elected but, in practice, if it did and I wanted an abortion, I could go to the UK.
In truth the likelihood of you needing an abortion is about the same as Conservative government banning abortions. The previous Tory government never touched abortion laws and that’s the policy of O’Toole who stated he is “pro-choice”.

Its a non-issue which Trudeau is trying to make into an issue to distract from real problems. Trying to make an issue out of it is kinda distasteful. One thing we are observing is consistency in being a disgusting hypocrite. Like in this case: https://nationalpost.com/opinion/kat...6c9e8653c/amp/
Old Sep 2nd 2021, 11:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Mordko
In truth the likelihood of you needing an abortion is about the same as Conservative government banning abortions. The previous Tory government never touched abortion laws and that’s the policy of O’Toole who stated he is “pro-choice”.

Its a non-issue which Trudeau is trying to make into an issue to distract from real problems. Trying to make an issue out of it is kinda distasteful. One thing we are observing is consistency in being a disgusting hypocrite. Like in this case: https://nationalpost.com/opinion/kat...6c9e8653c/amp/
Whatever Trudeau said, I didn't hear it. He hasn't influenced my view. I associate the Conservatives with the religious right and the drift to the right in the politics of the English speaking countries over the past decade is a cause for concern. Canada is, in most respects, America-Lite and while I don't think the Conservatives would turn Canada into Texas overnight, I think they'd shoot for Mississippi.
Old Sep 2nd 2021, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Very wise indeed. I too oppose Democrats because they were against the abolition of slavery. Listening to politicians today is completely irrelevant to the topic. I have not read Pasternak but I condemn him. The secret plan to turn Canada into Texas is a scary prospect indeed. We want proper winters.

Last edited by Mordko; Sep 2nd 2021 at 1:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.