Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Does Canada need to change their healthcare method?

Does Canada need to change their healthcare method?

Old May 13th 2016, 1:06 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Canada need to change their healthcare method?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Let me just ask this.

What do people expect those with severe mental health disorder to do when they cannot afford the prices charged?

Have to keep in mind, I am currently unable to hold employment.
The cost of healthcare for many is expensive, those with mental health issues aren't in an exclusive club concerning affordability. I don't have any extended cover and paid $120 for a 4 day prescription last week. I needed 8 weeks of physio over the winter at $85 per appointment. Money doesn't grow on trees for anyone.
Old May 13th 2016, 1:18 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
Why should a person, fully paid up into the system, who leaves his province for a certain amount of time, need to wait 90 days (or otherwise depending on the province) after his return, to regain his rightful membership of any MSP in Canada?
Rightful? Your rights are limited by the govt who say you have to be resident here for more than half the year to get residents' healthcare. Seems reasonable to me.
Old May 13th 2016, 1:26 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Let me just ask this.

What do people expect those with severe mental health disorder to do when they cannot afford the prices charged?

Have to keep in mind, I am currently unable to hold employment.
I think you're right that Canada doesn't have adequate provision for mental health services. I be.ive there are steps to change that.

In the meantime look to see what you are eligible for under disability as your illness means you are not able to work. There must be a crisis helpline you can call. Find some online resources and work through any exercises you find on there.

Remember though that we aren't responsible for your situation and attacking your online community isn't really helpful.
Old May 13th 2016, 1:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
The cost of healthcare for many is expensive, those with mental health issues aren't in an exclusive club concerning affordability.

Over the years: The cost of my wife's wheelchair which we ordered from the USA. $700. Bed rails. Various physio equipment. About $50 monthly on all the prescribed vitamins and things to counteract side effects of her meds.
All the taxi fares because I couldn't take her by bus.
Even when her drugs were generally covered by the province there were three prescribed at various times that weren't. $150 a month for each of two and $65 for another, the sleeping pill, she'd been taking for the last few years.

Currently: As 'good' as the joint Province/Blue Cross prescription drug coverage (no dental) is for me (my premiums and co-pays are the lowest possible) I am still on the hook for testing supplies and the means to inject insulin costing $160 a month.

Last edited by BristolUK; May 13th 2016 at 1:35 am.
Old May 13th 2016, 1:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
The cost of healthcare for many is expensive, those with mental health issues aren't in an exclusive club concerning affordability. I don't have any extended cover and paid $120 for a 4 day prescription last week. I needed 8 weeks of physio over the winter at $85 per appointment. Money doesn't grow on trees for anyone.
Did I ever say it was exclusive to me? You can very likely afford those based on your posting history, nor are either of those basic medical needs.

My life is on the verge of collapse and nobody cares, so forgive me if all I want is a decent medical system and not this crappy pos we have in BC.
Old May 13th 2016, 2:00 am
limey party pooper

I paid 4K last year for a new hearing gadget. Annually it's around $400 for batteries. Then any cables, mic covers etc cost $$. Special gadgets such as smoke alarms, alarm clocks, blah blah.
Meds on top of that.

Yep. Stuff costs.
Old May 13th 2016, 2:02 am
limey party pooper

I am not responsible for it either, I did not choose this.
I needed help, I asked people here for help, I was ignored, < large admin snip >
You weren't ignored at all.

Last edited by BEVS; May 15th 2016 at 11:07 pm. Reason: Comment deleted per the couple's wishes
Old May 13th 2016, 2:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Jsmth321.

A great many of us do understand about border personality disorder because our lives have been touched by it in some way.

Some of us will have first hand knowledge of suffering with mental health issues.

Many of us have been stony broke with not enough money to pay for food or meds.

This is what I know for sure, although at this moment in time you will not see, feel or accept this.

Everyone on this Canada forum and many members from other areas care about you and your well being.

The moderating team care about you as you know

No-one has ignored you, although at the moment you feel like you are shouting into the wind. It is not so.
People have heard and spoken. It is that at this moment you cannot hear for the noise in your head.

Everyone has listened & also offered help and suggestions

Everyone, but everyone, wishes for you to be well.

Everyone will always be here

Here is something else I know for sure .

This thread is not helping you at this moment .

So I am closing this thread.