Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Bit of a crime issue in the Wack.

Bit of a crime issue in the Wack.

Old May 2nd 2016, 12:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems Chilliwack has a bit of a crime issue these days. I dont recall it being this bas previously when I have lived here.

The storage room inbthe underground parking was broken into at some point.

This is the 4th time the building has been broken into since we moved in.

Its a secured building and need fobs to get in, but crow bars can get past those items.

There were cameras but they were destroyed last time a break in happened a few weeks ago.

The people who live inside the building are good, its the petty criminals outside that are an issue.

Drug addiction seems to be a major issue as well and reading posts from others online and talking to police crime is a bit of an issue these days.

Luckily we didnt have too much taken, just an old phone and a broken lap t

Realized wedding dress was in storage as well.

Last edited by Siouxie; May 2nd 2016 at 1:25 am.
Old May 2nd 2016, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

jeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of a crime issue in the Wack.

Hi
apparently Hope has even worse crime.
but since moving to Van it seems the 'crime areas' move around a bit.
I seem to remember it was Abby a few years back that had the 'title'
Cheers
Jerry
Old May 2nd 2016, 8:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Abbotsford really started to be pro-active and having their own police force also helps vs out sourcing to the RCMP.

I am just surprised its gotten this bad, can't say I have ever lived anywhere where petty crime is so open and often.

Last I saw Hope and Chilliwack round up the top 2 spots crime wise.

I used to try and convince my wife crime wasn't an issue, but it clearly is and for someone like her growing up and spending most of her life in Squamish, this town freaks her out....

She is even more worried about being home alone overnights now, can't say I blame her, we have had a few people crow bar open the main door to get into the building for the mail boxes and car park, luckily so far there haven't been any apartments broken into.

I feel bad for a guy who had his painting tools and supplies taken, he just finished cancer treatment, and was due to start a new painting job tomorrow, but now can't as they cleaned him out of all his supplies.

Money wise we didn't lose anything of high value, just the dress but it was only 150 new, the phone and laptops were old, outdated and not used. Worst case I suppose someone has access to whatever personal info is on it, if they can even get it to work.

(none of what was taken from our unit was visible, all in boxes, but they rummaged through them all, looks like they spent a great deal of time down there.)

Gonna lower our ICBC deductible as well, just a matter of time before someone decides to break into the car.

Originally Posted by jeremy brewer
Hi
apparently Hope has even worse crime.
but since moving to Van it seems the 'crime areas' move around a bit.
I seem to remember it was Abby a few years back that had the 'title'
Cheers
Jerry

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 2nd 2016 at 8:59 am.
Old May 3rd 2016, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

2 stabbings yesterday. In one case the victim rode bike to hospital and police followed blood trail to the initial scene.

Appears someone tried to break into our car last night. Luckily thry didnt bust a window.

We keep nothing in the car.

I would say crime is outta control in this town.
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I would say crime is outta control in this town.
Depends which part of town you live in. Around downtown is a problem area, surrounding areas less so.
Old May 3rd 2016, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Aviator
Depends which part of town you live in. Around downtown is a problem area, surrounding areas less so.
We have the joy of living near the hospital so get to see it all. But rents on the good side of town were above our price range.

Even in 2011 when I lived right downtown, I don't recall it being this bad.

Not sure we will stay here past our lease in February, I've experienced more crime in 3 months then I have anywhere else in my entire life.....

Police are so busy they don't even have time or staffing to follow up like the call taker always says they will to finish the reports....
Old May 3rd 2016, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

Media doesnt report well out here about thing but the community of scanner listners have reported police on scene of a hit and run and stabbing at the same location.

If true 3 stabbbings in less then 24 hours.
Old May 3rd 2016, 11:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We had two Bank Robberies 24 hours apart last Friday and Saturday, in two different parts of the city, apparently no connection (yeah, right )

Last year a woman held up a bank and when CCTV footage was released her mum dobbed her in.
Old May 3rd 2016, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

Ive lived in some questionable citys in the US and sidnt see this much criminal activity.

Its out in the open.

The person stabbed has been apparently killed so its a murder now. Had a murder last week as well.

I am honestly actually scared to walk to work. Its so close I can see work but the risk of being alone on the streets at night not worth it.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
We had two Bank Robberies 24 hours apart last Friday and Saturday, in two different parts of the city, apparently no connection (yeah, right )

Last year a woman held up a bank and when CCTV footage was released her mum dobbed her in.
Old May 4th 2016, 12:48 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Ive lived in some questionable citys in the US and sidnt see this much criminal activity.

Its out in the open.

The person stabbed has been apparently killed so its a murder now. Had a murder last week as well.

I am honestly actually scared to walk to work. Its so close I can see work but the risk of being alone on the streets at night not worth it.
Someone got run over by a train, so the young crossing is closed. Half of downtown is closed as there was a stabbing, but it seems the guy who got stabbed ran over a guy on a bike first.

http://www.theprogress.com/news/378029701.html

Last edited by Aviator; May 4th 2016 at 12:50 am.
Old May 4th 2016, 1:15 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Could we just get some sense of proportion here! These are not hugely populated areas I think (please correct me if I am wrong) and whilst they might be a bit more crowded than the Zombie Apocalypse NB, they are still pretty,poor news wise. There isn't much else happening in the Wack, or these crimes would be realagated to page 4,
Old May 4th 2016, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF
There isn't much else happening in the Wack, or these crimes would be realagated to page 4,
There is, there was a ploughing match last week.
Old May 4th 2016, 3:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's pretty big news, a car chase after a hit and run driver, then a murder in broad daylight.. it wouldn't be on page 4 in Toronto or Vancouver. Down in St Petersburg where you expect it there was a gunfight in the Walmart parking lot and though nobody got killed the security guard's car got a bullet hole in it. My sister didn't go to Walmart for months.
Old May 4th 2016, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

Around 80k people est now. 2011 census had population at 77k.

Using 2014 data as I cant find 2015 data, property crime in Chilliwack was 30% higher then the provincewide average.

2014 overall crime was on par with much larger surrey.

Chilliwack municipality per 100,000 11,122.

Chilliwack rural 16,901 per 100,000.

Surrey per 100,000 11,126

Hope was worst at 13, 818 per 100,000

Population of Surrey 2011 est 468,000.

Chilliwack 2011 est 77,000

Info based on 2014 rates publisjed in 2015 Chilliwack Times on July 29, 2015.

About 2 weeks ago there was also a dinner time shootinf which resulted in death. In that case victim was known to police and was facing unrelated charges the next day in court.

At least 2 murders within a month, and 1 other stabbing which as far as I know did not result in death.

Originally Posted by MillieF
Could we just get some sense of proportion here! These are not hugely populated areas I think (please correct me if I am wrong) and whilst they might be a bit more crowded than the Zombie Apocalypse NB, they are still pretty,poor news wise. There isn't much else happening in the Wack, or these crimes would be realagated to page 4,

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 4th 2016 at 5:35 pm.
Old May 5th 2016, 4:51 am
Account Closed

Going around on Facebook...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.