Coronavirus

Old Feb 15th 2022, 1:41 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Firstly, there's no proof that I had COVID, probability says yes, but not testing done.
Secondly, you can get it again.
Thirdly, I like that masks also hinder spread of the common cold, flu, etc.

Regular masks give protection to others from your bugs. N95 masks give protection to the wearer.
Old Feb 15th 2022, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Or dying with it as the case may be.

You may recall I posted that in January the UK had a daily death total on one day higher than any other single day since February 2021. It wasn't a freakishly high day, just the usual up and down. I'm fairly sure there were fewer and less strict measures this year than a year ago.

Boris "let the bodies pile high" has handled matters very poorly compared to many others and seems the last person to be making decisions.

But it's different from place to place. For most of the last two years people over here have been able to do what they normally do outside of small periodswhere they might not get to a gym for localised reasons but they could in a different are of the province. Or they might only be able to mix with "only" 20 people. Or eat out at 50% capacity (what a hardship for them) or restricted to take-out/delivery only for a bout 2 months over almost two years.

So that's where I live and where I used to live both with high current death rates for a supposedly non threatening variant and both with few, if any, restrictions or blasé attitudes, like not wearing masks in packed out football stadiums.

So no or few restrictions or measures seems to equate to dying with the virus (for some) rather than living with it.

What currently can you not do where you are?
I understand what you are saying, but what's the alternative? we cant go on living like this indefinitely can we? Even some doctors are saying that now.

I really feel for small business owners, many of gone under, many are about to, two of my friends have lost their business's, one owned a bar, another is about to lose his small restaurant.....

I haven't been to a gym/fitness class in over two years, I try to do what I can, but I am probably the most physically out of shape I have been in my life, just when I am at an age when I should be focusing on exercise with on going cardio health, and I don't buy into those stupid peleton things...that's an expensive fad and such a useless non motivational alternative if ever I saw one.

A close family member unexpectedly passed away in the UK at the beginning of the year, I really needed to be at the funeral, not just for obvious reasons, but to help me deal with my grief by being with my family. I studied the Canadian federal border restrictions, and decided it was just too much of risk.... not from getting covid whilst in the UK, that was not my fear, but my fear was being stranded there, and not being able to return to Canada, and therefore putting my job in jeopardy, I have since found that there is somewhat of a loop hole in returning, in that you can travel 10 days after testing positive even if you continue to test positive, I am not sure how true that is. I didn't know this at the time and decided not to go, and now deeply regret my decision.

Personally this was the last straw for me, I have done everything asked of me for two years (particulary when covid was indeed a bigger threat) I have adhered to all covid guidelines and rules, I am triple vaccinated, so I have done all I possibly can, enough is enough, we need to learn to live with it.... Protect the vunerable, get vaccinated and lets move on.

Old Feb 15th 2022, 2:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I haven't been to a gym/fitness class in over two years.
Good for you, that's money in the bank. I hope you're able to maintain the streak post-covid.
Old Feb 15th 2022, 2:50 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Firstly, there's no proof that I had COVID, probability says yes, but not testing done.
Secondly, you can get it again.
Thirdly, I like that masks also hinder spread of the common cold, flu, etc.

Regular masks give protection to others from your bugs. N95 masks give protection to the wearer.
Fairy nuff, whatever makes you feel safe.

Out of all the restrictions we have had, the indoor mask order is the one that I cannot wait to get dropped. In my opinion, poorly fitted cloth masks are no more than facial decorations.
Old Feb 15th 2022, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally this was the last straw for me, I have done everything asked of me for two years (particulary when covid was indeed a bigger threat) I have adhered to all covid guidelines and rules, I am triple vaccinated, so I have done all I possibly can, enough is enough, we need to learn to live with it.... Protect the vunerable, get vaccinated and lets move on.
I feel exactly the same.
Life in Canada right now is miserable.
Empty streets, empty restaurants and bars.
Empty gyms.
Gas prices at all time high.
8% inflation.
Businesses going under all around you.
All for what??

Old Feb 15th 2022, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMajor
I feel exactly the same.
Empty gyms.
8% inflation.
All for what??
Just glad I have a job... imagine dealing with that being out of work, that's what has happened to a lot of business owners...

Its a depressing scenario that can't continue indefinitely.
Old Feb 15th 2022, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Just glad I have a job... imagine dealing with that being out of work, that's what has happened to a lot of business owners...

Its a depressing scenario that can't continue indefinitely.
We are both self employed and lost tons of business.
If the run on the Canadian banks happens (as has been forecast) we might have to go busking for a living..
Old Feb 15th 2022, 6:45 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Fairy nuff, whatever makes you feel safe.

Out of all the restrictions we have had, the indoor mask order is the one that I cannot wait to get dropped. In my opinion, poorly fitted cloth masks are no more than facial decorations.
I agree with you about the cloth masks, especially ones that never get cleaned - hence my preference for an N95. Obviously hasn't been properly fitted but it's not a bad fit.
Old Feb 15th 2022, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been to a gym/fitness class in over two years, I try to do what I can, but I am probably the most physically out of shape I have been in my life, just when I am at an age when I should be focusing on exercise with on going cardio health, and I don't buy into those stupid peleton things...that's an expensive fad and such a useless non motivational alternative if ever I saw one.
I actually was one of those people who bought a Peloton during COVID and it's been a great purchase. I'm now fitter than I've ever been. Obviously it's not quite social like a gym but I was never really a gym person (tried going years ago)

A close family member unexpectedly passed away in the UK at the beginning of the year, I really needed to be at the funeral, not just for obvious reasons, but to help me deal with my grief by being with my family. I studied the Canadian federal border restrictions, and decided it was just too much of risk.... not from getting covid whilst in the UK, that was not my fear, but my fear was being stranded there, and not being able to return to Canada, and therefore putting my job in jeopardy, I have since found that there is somewhat of a loop hole in returning, in that you can travel 10 days after testing positive even if you continue to test positive, I am not sure how true that is. I didn't know this at the time and decided not to go, and now deeply regret my decision.
It is true. I just returned after testing positive while outside of Canada. Once 10 days had passed, I was able to travel with proof of positive test. I didn't need a pre-departure test and wasn't selected for arrival testing.

I feel the same way but I also appreciate the cautious approach being taken. Opening up too fast just results in more deaths and more restrictions.
Old Feb 15th 2022, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

I feel exactly the same.
Empty gyms.
8% inflation.
All for what??
The problem is that the Canadian government hasn't exactly done an impressive job in the pandemic. I'd say, even the UK under Boris Johnson, whom I distrust deeply, has handled the matter better.
Old Feb 15th 2022, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
The problem is that the Canadian government hasn't exactly done an impressive job in the pandemic. I'd say, even the UK under Boris Johnson, whom I distrust deeply, has handled the matter better.
What do you think the "Canadian government" could have done better or differently? The UK has a cumulative death rate that is almost 2.5x that of Canada so not sure I would say UK handled it better.
Old Feb 15th 2022, 9:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
My doctor has not been vaccinated. He has had, and recovered from, the virus and, as a result of that, believes that there is no benefit to him having the vaccine. He has a document to this effect posted on the entrance to his surgery and it indicates that he will refer anyone that doesn't want to risk seeing him to another doctor.

The science backs his position so why should he be shown the door?
Does the document say how long ago he had it and recovered? Since the science says that immunity (natural or vax) wears off, hence subsequent doses of the vaccine, it would be useful to know how soon his might wear off and does he propose to get subsequent bouts of Covid?

I understand what you are saying, but what's the alternative? we cant go on living like this indefinitely can we?
The alternative to what? What can't you do apart from go to the gym?

It's tragic that companies have gone under, people lost jobs etc. But all that was at the worst of times wasn't it? When very many more people would have died of covid and many more of treatable conditions that couldn't be treated had covid overwhelmed the hospitals.
Just about every jurisdiction seems to be talking about lifting the last of the restrictions - in the UK including not bothering with masks and when that happened here the government soon realised it was a mistake and that was pre-Omicron!

If everything is basically open, why does there have to be an alternative? Christ there was a time we could only go to the pub at lunchtimes and evenings and then have last orders at 10.20, or the shops were closed on Sundays and bank holidays. It's not as if we never had to accept that not everything was available 24/7.
How? How do you propose to protect me and my MIL from the one most likely to get Covid and bring it into the home?

It's just meaningless words. If what you mean is losing a few old and unwell people is a small price to pay for life going on for everyone else, then say so. I can relate to Mr Spock's "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." I just don't think we're 'there' yet.
Old Feb 15th 2022, 10:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Empty gyms.
Where? Everywhere? All the time?
Old Feb 15th 2022, 10:14 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The alternative to what? What can't you do apart from go to the gym?
Here in BC, you were not able to dance at a wedding
Thank God some of these rules are being changed tomorrow...
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/c...o/restrictions

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 16th 2022 at 10:19 am. Reason: Fixed quote
Old Feb 15th 2022, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
What do you think the "Canadian government" could have done better or differently? The UK has a cumulative death rate that is almost 2.5x that of Canada so not sure I would say UK handled it better.
For starters they could have ordered the vaccines the same way as they did in the UK or in the US. The UK started vaccinating way way sooner.

Also the UK didn't have a senseless and costly snap election which brought no results, not even for the one calling it, and that at a very high cost, money which could have been spent elsewhere. Remember the hallway medicine debate in Ontario? Or childcare? all before the pandemic?

And then there are these ridiculous travel and entry into Canada requirements. The UK tailored mandatory and costly hotel stays by country, but Canada didn't it was for all.
Also the current announcement to finally scrap PCR tests for the vaccinated travelers, but still requiring another test for the vaccinated is a joke. Travelling into the UK is totally easy now, for the vaccinated ones, no further tests, no 48 hours or 72 hours before, or whatever ridiculous time frame, Remember you could infect yourself right after the test, and the result is even then negative......

Yes, you may disagree with my opinion, but again, I don't really see anything positive in Canada's handling of the pandemic. Only that a majority seems to believe that it was good and accept things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.