British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Jerseygirl Mar 17th 2020 2:41 am

Re: Coronavirus

All Toronto’s restaurants and bars are to stop in house dining from midnight tonight. Tim Hortons and McD’s drive thru and carry out only open.

cineplex have closed all theatres throughout Canada.

scilly Mar 17th 2020 2:56 am

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 12821891)
Hopefully you are not one of those hundreds of people. Anyone showing those symptoms needs to isolate themselves.
Further to my earlier posts about upcoming trip to UK to help parents move, I spoke to Mum this morning and she recognizes the very real possibility that I could get stuck there and doesn't think I should go. Which is the conclusion I came to but am so relieved that the final decision came from her.

Oh what a relief .......... but good that the decision came from her.

scilly Mar 17th 2020 2:58 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12821946)
Get some interesting looks when walking from my car lol 😂 and take a little cough

I know what you mean!

Jerseygirl Mar 17th 2020 3:02 am

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 12821891)
Hopefully you are not one of those hundreds of people. Anyone showing those symptoms needs to isolate themselves.
Further to my earlier posts about upcoming trip to UK to help parents move, I spoke to Mum this morning and she recognizes the very real possibility that I could get stuck there and doesn't think I should go. Which is the conclusion I came to but am so relieved that the final decision came from her.

a bitter sweet decision for both of you...but the best one under the circumstances.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 17th 2020 3:07 am

They should have stopped conventions sooner, a good chunk of the newest cases in BC are linked to a dental convention March 6-7 and anyone who attended is asked to self isolate. I wonder if this is the real reason our dentist closed suddenly today. Wife is worried as she went to the dentist 2 times this month.

Vancouver Aquarium is closing.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 17th 2020 3:54 am

Westjet will suspend all international and US flights in the coming days, and cut domestic capacity 50% for the next 30 days, possibly longer of course.

https://blog.westjet.com/statement-o...-from-ed-sims/

Sunwing is suspending all flights, will continue to fly through April 9 to bring Canadians in destination home.

dave_j Mar 17th 2020 5:40 am

I found myself watching announcements by different governments today and couldn't help wondering whether my parents had similar emotions when listening to the BBC.
It was a feeling that events were unfolding and decisions were being taken that would affect me about which I had no control it led me to wonder how they must have felt in the late 30's.
Of course I'm being self indulgent here, comparing my lot with them, but I found myself imagining them seated around a radio listening to events as they were described to them by the BBC.
Today we are informed in a way they could never imagine and yet this doesn't reduce the impact of events as they're portrayed hour after hour in their minutest detail.
It's feeling of helplessness, of being like a small boat being carried along a swift flowing river.
In their case it meant my father going to war for six years and my mother being evacuated and of course food rationing. In my case it means carrying on much as I do now.
I suppose it's made me understand a little more the difficulties they must have put up with, and something they never really spoke much about.

Oink Mar 17th 2020 9:42 am

If they shut down burger vans I'm going to lose my s***.

MillieF Mar 17th 2020 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12822117)

I hope you have a goodly supply of toilet paper then :p

caretaker Mar 17th 2020 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12822117)

Good time to try Green Lettuce Restaurant, but better check to see if the menu is the same. Our go-to order used to be:
#58 - Mongolian Beef,
#134 - the House Chow Mein (Chicken, Shrimp) and
#151 - the Green Lettuce Fried Rice (Chicken, Shrimp

Teaandtoday5 Mar 17th 2020 11:42 am

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...24e3b2cdb.jpeg

spouse of scouse Mar 17th 2020 11:53 am

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12822045)
I found myself watching announcements by different governments today and couldn't help wondering whether my parents had similar emotions when listening to the BBC.
It was a feeling that events were unfolding and decisions were being taken that would affect me about which I had no control it led me to wonder how they must have felt in the late 30's.
Of course I'm being self indulgent here, comparing my lot with them, but I found myself imagining them seated around a radio listening to events as they were described to them by the BBC.
Today we are informed in a way they could never imagine and yet this doesn't reduce the impact of events as they're portrayed hour after hour in their minutest detail.
It's feeling of helplessness, of being like a small boat being carried along a swift flowing river.
In their case it meant my father going to war for six years and my mother being evacuated and of course food rationing. In my case it means carrying on much as I do now.
I suppose it's made me understand a little more the difficulties they must have put up with, and something they never really spoke much about.

I'm hearing you Dave :thumbup: Without wanting to sound too dramatic, I don't think any of us will ever take our blissfully 'ordinary' lives quite so much for granted again.

spouse of scouse Mar 17th 2020 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12822183)

:rofl:

dbd33 Mar 17th 2020 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12822194)
I'm hearing you Dave :thumbup: Without wanting to sound too dramatic, I don't think any of us will ever take our blissfully 'ordinary' lives quite so much for granted again.

I think I'll either be dead or everything will go back to being much the same as before. I imagine the coronavirus fuss will seem like the Biafran famine; awful for the participants, a source of some good jokes, otherwise forgotten.

Danny B Mar 17th 2020 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12822202)
I think I'll either be dead or everything will go back to being much the same as before. I imagine the coronavirus fuss will seem like the Biafran famine; awful for the participants, a source of some good jokes, otherwise forgotten.

I think you are right, unless you are in a high risk group.