British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

magnumpi Mar 16th 2020 11:23 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12821865)
I have this same cough, have had it for several years. I check with the doctor regularly, and the question is always "is it a major problem, or impacting your life?"

well, no ........ I get one or 2 very short bouts a day, usually less than 5 minutes. Sucking a Bentasil or changing position to walk from sitting or vice vera almost always works.

The reply then is along the lines of "well, in that case, we'd rather not change the medication as it is the best one for you. A change may well not work as well."

It's my decision to stay with the best medication, and live with the cough ............... but it is a wee bit of problem now!

Get some interesting looks when walking from my car lol 😂 and take a little cough

Danny B Mar 16th 2020 11:55 pm

Former Lancastrian Mar 17th 2020 12:07 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12821944)
I have always thought it a big deal. Why on earth you made us do it I can't fathom. Still, if the system now changes the illness won't have been for nothing.

The declaration card is like the dodo on most commercial flights these days unless on a small charter. Nowadays you don't even need to speak to an officer because of those kiosks most use which are now acting as a Petri dish as how often do you think these are wiped down.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 17th 2020 12:10 am

BC CDC has a new interactive option that helps determine if you need to be tested.

http://www.bccdc.ca/

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 17th 2020 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12821958)

This wont hit home for many of us these days, my grandparents were never called to war, they were only 9 years old at the end of WW2. ;)

My great great-grand parents were born in 1910-1915 era and too young for WW1 and managed to not end up in WW2.

Jerseygirl Mar 17th 2020 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12821958)

love it!!!

BristolUK Mar 17th 2020 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12821964)
This wont hit home for many of us these days, my grandparents were never called to war, they were only 9 years old at the end of WW2. ;).

I don't think it needs to hit home, it just provides a bit of contrast between predecessors fighting wars and us washing hands.

Of course there will be those who won't give a toss like those Brits on holidays in Spain in that video posted. :(

dbd33 Mar 17th 2020 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12821961)
The declaration card is like the dodo on most commercial flights these days unless on a small charter. Nowadays you don't even need to speak to an officer because of those kiosks most use which are now acting as a Petri dish as how often do you think these are wiped down.

I haven't been through a Canadian airport for ages but last time I was at the one in Toronto the kiosk just printed the card and you had to carry it to the officer; same problem as always.

Atlantic Xpat Mar 17th 2020 12:45 am

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 12821891)
Hopefully you are not one of those hundreds of people. Anyone showing those symptoms needs to isolate themselves.
Further to my earlier posts about upcoming trip to UK to help parents move, I spoke to Mum this morning and she recognizes the very real possibility that I could get stuck there and doesn't think I should go. Which is the conclusion I came to but am so relieved that the final decision came from her.

In a sea of anxieties about all this one of the things that has been giving me the most grief is the realisation that for the first time in the 15 years I've lived in Canada I can't go to UK if anything happened to my parents, sisters or niece. There's no reason (hopefully) why I should do - the olds are in generally good health, live in a semi-rural situation and can quite cheerfully exist in their bubble with a little help with the groceries. But still, its a worry. I spoke to my sisters today & they eased my mind somewhat - My mother provides an amount of childcare for my niece & they've found alternative arrangements so that will reduce the risks a bit. But its all rather a worry.

Here in Nfld, Schools are closed indefinitely from tomorrow. And by indefinitely, I mean likely until the new school year in September. We're going to all have learn about homeschooling in a hurry. Fortunately Mrs AX is a teacher!

dbd33 Mar 17th 2020 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12821973)
In a sea of anxieties about all this one of the things that has been giving me the most grief is the realisation that for the first time in the 15 years I've lived in Canada I can't go to UK if anything happened to my parents, sisters or niece.

I think this is anxiety we all share. We were to meet at my mother's in England in May; me, the Vancouver daughter and her three children, the Afghanistan daughter possibly with her husband, possibly the ex-wife from Switzerland, not the autistic daughter who lives part time in a group home and who usually stays there when her mother is away. Now it's all buggered up.

My mother is old and at risk so no one should visit. Some of the great-grandchildren are asthmatic and at risk so they can't go anywhere. Of course, they're likely only asthmatic because of the awful climate where they live but, no matter, their father is losing billable hours putting their flight money at risk. The Afghanistan daughter is in Switzerland, her husband popped home from there to Milan and is now impounded. The group home is closed to all but the residents with no other option so Afghanistan and her mother have to stay in Switzerland to care for that daughter and anyway Switzerland has travel restrictions. I can't go anywhere because I can't afford to be banged up for 14 days on return.

No worries, one might think, I have a brother who lives near my mother who can deal with any emergency. Except he chose last weekend to go on a camel riding jaunt in Morocco and is there now, possibly unable to return, possibly locked up when he does. They're bothersome, these pandemics.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 17th 2020 1:23 am

BC Ferries has gotten approval from Transport Canada for passengers to remain in their vehicles on the enclosed decks.

They should a step further and prohibit walk on passengers, vehicles only and must remain in the vehicle except to use the washroom, close off the rest of the ship.

Gozit Mar 17th 2020 2:07 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12821969)
I haven't been through a Canadian airport for ages but last time I was at the one in Toronto the kiosk just printed the card and you had to carry it to the officer; same problem as always.

The bloody card is so annoying. Waste of paper. I lost it once and had to go to secondary. The people in front of me were I believe Brits landing as PRs for the first time and importing multiple pets as well as many other items, I was waiting for 40+ mins just for my passport to be swiped and be let back into the country in 20 secs. A little ridiculous over a piece of paper.

Gozit Mar 17th 2020 2:16 am

One worry for me with this coronavirus thing is when everything gets back to normal - people are saying this might not be until 2021 now - what will the impact on the economy be? I will be (hopefully) graduating and looking for work. Will I be able to find it? Will wages be less then they were before? I had potential plans to live in Europe. Will the European economy be in even worse condition then the Canadian one?

Just before this all happened, I was noticing an upturn in salary for IT jobs in the Maltese islands, meaning that if the trend continued wages might be livable a couple years from now. Not sure if that trend will be continuing now.

It's all really a pain in the ass. I just turned 21. I'm supposed to be out with friends socializing, travelling, and living my "best life." Not sitting at home twiddling my thumbs. And not only is my life impacted now with the restrictions on travel, closures, etc, and the risk of myself or my loved ones contracting the virus, it will be impacted by the potential of a volatile economy once this all starts to turn around.

So much for making money and travelling I guess.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 17th 2020 2:16 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12821969)

As of last March and May when I flew into YVR from the US, no paper card. Did it all at a kiosk, printed a receipt like sheet, took maybe 3 minutes if that start to finish.

On one of those trips the US kiosks were not working, barely made it through, one down side to technology, when the machines break they don't have enough staff, there were 2 officers in the regular line and 1 for the line where people with Visa's go, 3 officers in total to process everyone departing first thing in the morning, and they didn't even open early, still opened at 4:30am with first departures at 6am, I barely made my flight at 6am even though I arrived at 3:45am.

Gozit Mar 17th 2020 2:17 am

My school has just announced that they are delaying all co-op work terms until June 1st. That is a months wages lost, at least $2,000.00. I wonder if they will be providing reimbursement or financial assistance due to that loss, since they made the decision to postpone it.

That's a rhetorical question, I know they won't.